website statistics

Men's Ice Hockey Tournament at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

Day 8

Friday February 24th, 2018

SEMIFINALS

Results

Czech Republic - Olympic Athlete from Russia  0-3 (0-0, 0-2, 0-1)

Goals:

28. Gusev (Datsyuk) 0:1, 29. Gavrikov (Telegin, Grigorenko) 0:2, 60. Kovalchuk (Zub, Zubarev) 0:3

Canada - Germany  3-4 (0-1, 1-3, 2-0)

Goals:

29. Brule (Lee, Noreau) 1:3, 43. Robinson (Thomas, Lee) 2:4, 50. Roy (Lee, Noreau) 3:4 – 15. Macek (Kahun) 0:1, 24. Plachta (Hager) 0:2, 27. Mauer (Goc, Wolf) 0:3, 33. Hager (Plachta, Schütz) 1:4

hace 2 horas, phelps said:

yes, as it is for the other leagues in any team sport that requires it...

the NHL was the only league that was able to negotiate that privilege of having their insurance cost paid by the IOC, but, as @hckosice wrote, it was a mid-term agreement, which expired after the Sochi Olympics...

and, not to be forced to follow the same policy with other sports/leagues, the IOC and the IIHF had to refuse going on with that...otherwise it would have become not sustainable for them...

hopefully, next NHL CBA would include the Olympic stoppage as mandatory for the NHL, even if the NHL teams owners have already said that they are ready to face another lockout, but they would not give up such things so easily...

we'll see in the next years, when the next CBA wil be negotiated...

The players will end up paying for it with a smaller share of hockey-related revenues.

hace 41 minutos, Maxim Fastovsky said:

The problem is that for basketball in the summer is fun with nba players but you don't have to stop the league (Like you would have for baseball)      and it is not the main attraction.  And if that will stop, i dont believe the damage will be severe.      Winter however was more dependant on NHL since its really the only main stream team sport.   So the IOC had to pay up.  However i dont know how from here we go back to NHL participating.   My feeling is that Beijing will also not have NHL players.   Maybe next North American winter games if calgary gets 2026 or USA 2030

Nah, the games being in China will force the NHL hand. There's a reason they signed up to play 6 pre-season games over there.

Edited by carivan

8 minutes ago, carivan said:

The players will end up paying for it with a smaller share of hockey-related revenues.

I think many players would've agreed to it for this year, i remember Ovechkin saying he is planning to play anyway, it's about country pride, and i'm sorry, the 8 team World Cup of Hockey is not an alternative! 

1 minute ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I think many players would've agreed to it for this year, i remember Ovechkin saying he is planning to play anyway, it's about country pride, and i'm sorry, the 8 team World Cup of Hockey is not an alternative! 

And the World Cup didn't even feel like a world cup lol   So damn far from 2004

hace 2 minutos, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Yep. You can bet the NHLPA has securing Olympic participation as a mandate for the next CBA. And Bettman probably knows it. 

4 minutes ago, Finnator123 said:

And the World Cup didn't even feel like a world cup lol   So damn far from 2004

What was up with Team Europe and Team North America?? that was so stupid, i get the idea behind it, but at least bring more teams in!