website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2018

Henry_Leon

3 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Whether germany invaded austria to help italy win the world cup or not really hasnt anything to do with our discussion. 

You brought this as "proof" but now you are saying that it is irrelevant. :mumble:For me it's an absurd claim.

Lets settle this discussion: Do you think that the 2 first world cup wins for Italy were irregular or at least extremely shady or not?

In the first tournament Italy was helped by referees, in the second tournament there was nothing irregular or shady involving Italy.

Obviously you are trying to change the discussion here, but just implying that german or brazil world cup wins might have been irregular too wont do anything, so i am gonna ask you to provide proof as i did with the italian world cup wins.

No, I was only trying to see if you are consistent. I personally prefer to accept the official count and don't consider any WC a joke but if I had to follow your logic I could find something very shady about many tournaments, for example involving Brazil and Germany(which I pick ed because your original comment was about the teams with the higher number of titles won)

-1954 would be a joke for the doping scandal (http://www.worldsoccer.com/columnists/keir-radnedge/west-germanys-culture-of-doping-kept-under-wraps-341986) and biased refereeing in the final: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_FIFA_World_Cup_Final#Controversies

- 1962 would be a joke because the Brazilians corrupted officials in order to have Garrincha in the final after he was sent off in the semifinal

Spoiler

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/04/stunning-moments-no4-battle-of-santiago

"The Brazilian FA, however, were not. His availability for the final lay in the hands of a Fifa disciplinary committee, at which the match officials would give evidence. But first the referee, the Peruvian Arturo Yamazaki, received a phone call from his country’s president requesting that he tone down his testimony, and made Garrincha’s offence sound positively trifling. Then the linesman, Uruguay’s Esteban Marino, on whose say-so Yamazaki had acted in the first place and whose evidence was to be crucial, failed to turn up at all.

"He just disappeared. It was like something out of an Agatha Christie novel,” wrote the Brazilian journalist Argeu Affonso, who was covering the tournament. “It was Agatha Christie football. He just disappeared, and nobody knew where he’d gone.” It turned out that the Brazilian World Cup referee John Etzel had been given $10,000 in cash by his FA to pass on to his colleague in return for his disappearance. Without him Fifa found that they had insufficient evidence to ban Garrincha, who played as Brazil beat Czechoslovakia 3-1 in the final. “It was me who won the World Cup,” Etzel later claimed, and he got more than that: it later transpired that he had given Marino only half of the cash, and kept the rest for himself

End of the discussion on my part.

Edited by Dunadan

2 ore fa, OlympicsFan ha scritto:

The big difference is that Germany has a lot of great young talents and will have no problem to be a contender again in 4 years, while Italy and the Netherlands have been shit for a long time and don't have much promise, that's also why german fans can take those provocations as what they are: An attempt to hide the fact that those countries have become irrelevant in today's football and that it is very likely to stay that way.

Yeah, you have a great talent and a nice team! You will win the 2018 World Cup! 

Hopefully Colombia will win this group. Otherwise England and Belgium probably will both try their best to lose tonight's game (2nd placed team in Group G would face Sweden or Switzerland in quarterfinals).

So, who are we cheering for in the first group of today? I'm going for Colombia and Senegal :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Dear OlympicFan,

I fear that the one who should learn History is you, the REAL history (even of the thirties), trying to behave in a better fair-play mode and show some respect, if not for my "jurassic" age, at least for my (although scarce) world knowledge, as I have a Ph.D. in classical languages and Hispanic-American literature, I have been living many years in South-America and I can also read and speak your wonderful language, besides knowing very well your splendid Country; I hope you can help me in avoiding every time to cite the sentence of one of the most prestigious Italian sports writers - Gianni Brera - who once wrote something like: ..."it's true that the Germans are really the best in everything - athletics,football,philosophy,classical music,literature,organization - but perhaps their problem is that they claim that other peoples admit it ... bowing in front of them" !

Even your comments about athletics are often not inspiring for someone like me who have attended LIVE 7 World Championships and 4 Olympic Games and has been a subscriber of Leichtathletik for thirty-five years and member of ATFS... 

Anyway, be sure that I will answer in a placid way to every insult, but I will NEVER ignore any comment; wrong things must be fought-off, like the comment of ThiagoSimoes (who probably has not understood the meaning of "pontificatore"), who insults me ("cuzão", even if I don't have a big booty, is definitely an insult, as he might not remember that I studied Portuguese in my University, I have been living in Brazil for many years and I have a girlfriend of Minas Gerais - unfortunately not young and beautiful as the

Heywoodu's one ... !-)

Finally I would like to remind all my "pontificatori" that it's a good-natured "apelido" (epithet) and it's even a compliment (I call my girlfriend "pontificatrice"); once again, be sure that I will always reply WITHOUT OFFENDING, whenever I read some biased or offensive comment against me, my Country or some other Nation which does not deserve nasty words ! BUT I will definitely reply.

P.S.

Dear Heywoodu, I hope your Girlfriend brought you some "acerola" (great drink "laranja - your favorite colour ... - com acerola") and/or "açaí na tigela" !

No era penal!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!