website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2018

Henry_Leon

Out of pure curiosity: why do people support countries that are from the same continent as them, even when it's an entirely different country hundreds or even thousands of kilometers away? :d

Is it just because of some continental pride or because one simply finds the country/team interesting?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minutę temu, heywoodu napisał:

Out of pure curiosity: why do people support countries that are from the same continent as them, even when it's an entirely different country hundreds or even thousands of kilometers away? :d

Is it just because of some continental pride or because one simply finds the country/team interesting?

don`t ask me - i`ve always supported teams from other continents :) - i love Peru, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Costa Rica. Iceland is the only European country apart from Poland i will support but as a small nation - not because they`r Europeans :).

Maybe i support Ireland sometimes (and Wales) but it`s quite common in PL.

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Continental quotas. Better performance might result in more quota increasing chances to qualify 

16 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

This is imo the only reason why an african nation never won the world cup. Think about this: Why has Turkey never won the world cup?

Western nations conspired to have the world cup at this time of the year so that african nations are too weak to beat them, in 4 years it will be very different.

I hope (and think) you're joking, but you do know that the time of the ramadan is changing, right (comparing to the gregorian calendar)? :p

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Personally I first and foremost cheer for the Nordic countries (in most sports, though in sports where Finland or Norway are rivals of Denmark and/or Sweden, not so much :p ). We have kind of a bond. Secondly I cheer for the players of my two favourite teams, AGF and AIK. That's the reason that I cheered for Costa Rica 4 years ago (as Celso Borges played in AIK), but that doesn't give anything this year (I think the closest would be Serbia but Aleksandar Jovanovic was left out).

After that it's mainly the style of play.

So for me, the continent (except for the Nordic) doesn't really matter though I do often end up cheering for a European team.