website statistics

Non-Olympic Countries and Territories Thread

10 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

That one’s kinda complex. But the Commonwealth Games and Island Games teams only draw from/represent St Helena. And Ascension/Tristan do have their own reserved ISO codes so I put them in. And they’re still represented separately at overseas territory council meetings etc.

No, Tristan sends athletes on the St. Helena teams

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@Olympian1010 @intoronto Reason it came to mind was I did know a guy from Ascension who told me he was looking into Ascension applying to the Island Games- apparently athletes there used to be considered for St Helena back when Ascension was its dependency (St Helena and Dependencies, it was), but nowadays that seems to have stopped. So that's why I thought it was appropriate to put Ascension and Tristan there, considering the ISO reservation, political status and location as well. Do you think I should remove them?

1 minute ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

@Olympian1010 @intoronto Reason it came to mind was I did know a guy from Ascension who told me he was looking into Ascension applying to the Island Games- apparently athletes there used to be considered for St Helena back when Ascension was its dependency (St Helena and Dependencies, it was), but nowadays that seems to have stopped. So that's why I thought it was appropriate to put Ascension and Tristan there, considering the ISO reservation, political status and location as well. Do you think I should remove them?

Well that may be true. I know the change happened recently. I may be working on outdated info

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 10/03/2019 at 03:24, Olympian1010 said:

Well that may be true. I know the change happened recently. I may be working on outdated info

Last year Saint Helena competed in the Southern Africa qualifying tournament of the T20 Cricket World Cup.

Amazingly, for a population of 5000, they finished 3rd of 6th nations. They won 3 of 6 games, beating Swaziland, Lesotho and Malawi.

On 09/03/2019 at 17:06, ahjfcshfghb said:

Yeah but it’s not ever going to happen. Those people got evicted in the 70s and are, well, in their 70s now. Maybe their descendants could take part but they’d never represent the ‘BIOT’, it just represents the injustice. There might be a status change soon anyway so we’ll see what happens.

25th February 2019

"The UK should end its control of the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean "as rapidly as possible", the UN's highest court has said.

Mauritius claims it was forced to give up the islands - now a British overseas territory - in 1965 in exchange for independence, which it gained in 1968.

The International Court of Justice said the islands were not lawfully separated from the former colony of Mauritius."

2 minutes ago, Dragon said:

25th February 2019

"The UK should end its control of the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean "as rapidly as possible", the UN's highest court has said.

Mauritius claims it was forced to give up the islands - now a British overseas territory - in 1965 in exchange for independence, which it gained in 1968.

The International Court of Justice said the islands were not lawfully separated from the former colony of Mauritius."

Yeah- so either Britain will be stubborn or Mauritius will get it. I hope the latter! Of course we’ll never see a ‘BIOT’ team. It’s a shame such an awesome flag had to be for such a disgraceful territory.

And no idea about the flag you posted btw

Maybe I do not remember well, but it seems to me that Macau competes at Olympic Games

edit: yes, I remember wrong, but still I’m sure I have seen its flag in some events, but I don’t remember which could be

Edited by AlFHg