website statistics

Non-Olympic Countries and Territories Thread

29 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Maybe I do not remember well, but it seems to me that Macau competes at Olympic Games

edit: yes, I remember wrong, but still I’m sure I have seen its flag in some events, but I don’t remember which could be

Asian Games and Paralympics.

2 hours ago, intoronto said:

Asian Games and Paralympics.

Universaides as well

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

We can take Vatican City :VAT off the “Unaffiliated” list as they’ve just confirmed their first participation in this year’s Games of the Small States of Europe :) 

Wait what! It’s literally less than 2 days before the games. Glad to see them enter the fold, but it’s almost like they had divine intervention to get in this year. Do you have a link to the article or announcement? 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Wait what! It’s literally less than 2 days before the games. Glad to see them enter the fold, but it’s almost like they had divine intervention to get in this year. Do you have a link to the article or announcement? 

https://zenit.org/articles/athletica-vaticana-in-montenegro-for-games-of-small-states-of-europe/

Here’s the only article I could find in English. But they also posted it on Athletica Vaticana’s Facebook page!

34 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

https://zenit.org/articles/athletica-vaticana-in-montenegro-for-games-of-small-states-of-europe/

Here’s the only article I could find in English. But they also posted it on Athletica Vaticana’s Facebook page!

So I’m not sure if they’re so much competing as just there to witness this time and enter next time. I would leave them on the list until their athletes are counted in the official results. They are sending 4 distance runners, so there is the possibility that happens at these games. However, it almost sounds like a 100% done deal that we will see them in Oran in 2021 for the Mediterranean Games. I would imagine we may see them make their way to the 2023 European Games too. I’m glad that the Vatican has finally decided that it can field athletes.

25 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So I’m not sure if they’re so much competing as just there to witness this time and enter next time. I would leave them on the list until their athletes are counted in the official results. They are sending 4 distance runners, so there is the possibility that happens at these games. However, it almost sounds like a 100% done deal that we will see them in Oran in 2021 for the Mediterranean Games. I would imagine we may see them make their way to the 2023 European Games too. I’m glad that the Vatican has finally decided that it can field athletes.

That’s true, though I can’t see why they’d be left out of results if they were invited. The athletes will definitely compete. Plus they are going to be granted full ‘membership’ rights in 2021 apparently. That’s good enough for me honestly ;) 

5 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

That’s true, though I can’t see why they’d be left out of results if they were invited. The athletes will definitely compete. Plus they are going to be granted full ‘membership’ rights in 2021 apparently. That’s good enough for me honestly ;) 

Right, but @heywoodu would agree with me that it’s not official until the complete an event officially. What I mean about being an observer here is that we could see a :AUS and :NZL situation like at the 2017 Asian Winter Games, where the athletes weren’t eligible for medals and thus didn’t officially participate. I think your right though, I think we’ll see them in the longer distances.

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but @heywoodu would agree with me that it’s not official until the complete an event officially. What I mean about being an observer here is that we could see a :AUS and :NZL situation like at the 2017 Asian Winter Games, where the athletes weren’t eligible for medals and thus didn’t officially participate. I think your right though, I think we’ll see them in the longer distances.

Fair enough! I’ll just base it off their full approval for 2021.

8 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Fair enough! I’ll just base it off their full approval for 2021.

I really like how your keeping track of these “lesser” nations by the way. Keep it up!