website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Sports Commentators

dcro

Just now, wumo26 said:

I like Eurosport's Danish commentator in Ski Jumping and Nordic combined. He has a degree in Math, so you always get a whole math lesson about ski jumping, which oddly enough is quite satisfying. :p

Though this season he has had some blackouts during the cross-country skiing in nordic combined. "And here comes Kupczak from behind!" First, Kupczak overtaking someone in xc-skiing is not possible. Secondly, it was was Hirvonen who was coming from behind. :lol: On the positve side, he can actually pronounce Polish names and places correctly. 

I do miss having Andreas Küttel as co-commentator. He was it during the 2017 WCH, and it was nice to hear so many stories about Simon Amann. His Danish was not that bad.

What, Andreas Küttel speaks Danish? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I don't know the current Universiade/FISU TV commentators but all of them seem to barely ever watch the sports they're commentating on. Stuff like shouting athlete X is 'going for gold!' when setting the fastest time in a biathlon sprint, even when there's someone else 20 seconds faster (and with a miss more) after two shootings or something like that.

I recognize them all as Olympic commentators for Pyeongchang

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I recognize them all as Olympic commentators for Pyeongchang

I'm really glad I watched that completely on Eurosport, Eurosport Player, Dutch and German TV (online and offline), so nothing to do with them :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

11 hours ago, heywoodu said:

You have a commentator who mixes athletics and cross-country too? :d We too! Ivo van Haaren is his name.

Franco Bragagna is one of the most experienced sports commentators of the Italian TV...

he self-proclamed himself as "the truth" about everything he follows (and he follows a lot of things...from almost every winter sport -mainly CC skiing, but also Biathlon, Short Track, Speedskating and Ice Hockey- to Athletics, Canoeing -especially Wildwater Canoeing, Slalom and the good old "downhill"- Shooting and others)...

but instead he's only a logorroic and disparess speaker who doesn't let his mates in the booth talk (as he's always monopolizing the mic)...

and since he's always been a public TV speaker, he often starts really offensive pamphlets against the other companies and their journalists (his most famous public feud was against sky Italia's face and voice Fabio Caressa, when Caressa had the fool idea of commentating the swimming events at the London 2012 Olympics...p.s. Caressa never followed anything but Football...he's "the voice" of the Italian ride to the 2006 Football world cup...some of his emphatic presentations and claims during that world cup are still used nowadays in commercials...but that time he's been actually crazy, he should have necer exposed himself like that -basically from that moment everybody started hating him, more than because of his faults and self-absorbed football broadcasts)...

but what makes Bragagna a complete idiot to my eyes (and ears...and everything) is his behaviour in the Schwazer's scandal...

basically he used his public tv place to insult Alex and to host repeated "trials" against him, always having in the booth those people who's been proved being active part in the cospiration against Alex and in favor of the convicted dopers from the Russian race walking team...

he's Rio 2016 broadcast during the 50km race walk has been the lowest point a human being can reach...a real shame for the entire Country of Italy...

but of course nobody did anything against him...

since that moment I just stopped listening to him...I rather give up watching any event, than listening to him...

p.s. and when he used to commentate Ice Hockey...well, I can say he doesn't understand anything about that game...:facepalm::wall:

my favourites Italian sports commentators are Stefano Borghi (currently on the OTT portal DAZN, football, he's a real encyclopedia of international football, especially the South American competitions and players) and Pietro Nicolodi (he works for sky Italia and he also does a lot of disciplines very different from each other -Football, almost every Winter Sport -especialy Ice Hockey, he's definitely the best Italian commentator for that...actually, the only one I really like- Fencing, Canoeing, Baseball and more...I like him especially for Hockey and Baseball)...

but since I mainly watch global sports events and US Sports, my myth, legend, favourite broadcaster of all time is the now retired Vin Scully, "the voice" of the American Baseball (and in particular of the Los Angeles Dodgers)...

I miss him so much...

I also used to like the Los Angeles Kings (NHL Hockey, of course) voice, Bob Miller...but he also had to give up his job after an heart attack...and I have to admit that I like also his substitute, Alex Faust...

another of my favourites is Al Michaels (NFL Football on the NBC)...when he was paired with John Madden, they were the best duo of all time...

and I also like the great Joe Buck (Football and Baseball of Fox)...

but the current top of ranking is surely Tony Romo (even if he's a technical commentator and not a play-by-play speaker like the others)...

Everyone seems to diss Patrick Winterton and Mike Dixon lol but I actually really like them. Whatever the case they’re knowledgeable and endearing. Maybe it’s the Scottish accent? (And I met them)

Whom I don’t like is the Czech biathlon commentators. They will put you to sleep. No enthusiasm. Other commentators are great though. If an obscure Czech runner makes the quarterfinals of an obscure athletics competition they’re sure to be really happy ? 

32A01FA4-8516-488F-A0C8-48AC1B62A87E.jpeg

Edited by ahjfcshfghb

Now when we speaking about commentators bloopers, do you remember which was the worst mistake you ever heard from commentators.

I wonder if there anyone that can beat the London 2012 Water Polo mens final when the commentator threw that epic quote before the match : "players are already in the pool, so everything is ready, we are now only waiting for the referee to jump into the pool and the match can begin." :d

16 hours ago, heywoodu said:

@thiago_simoes @vinipereira @titicow Have you ever happened to watch biathlon on SporTV with a commentator named Aldo something? I have not, but I've heard it is excruciatingly bad and I'm curious how people look at it who are maybe a bit less familiar with biathlon :p (my apologies if my assumption is wrong and you are in fact rather familiar with it as well :d )

Nope. I've never watched a biathlon event in my life, and I don't know who this commentator is. But since no one knows what biathlon is in Brazil, I believe they would choose their worst commentator to do the job and still no one would notice. 

Just now, thiago_simoes said:

Nope. I've never watched a biathlon event in my life, and I don't know who this commentator is. But since no one knows what biathlon is in Brazil, I believe they would choose their worst commentator to do the job and still no one would notice. 

Exactly why they should have someone knowledgeable there, like in the Netherlands where most people don't know the sport neither but a good commentator helps a lot in catching the attention of passers by going through the channels. 

At least during the Olympics they had an actual biathlete (Mika Picin) in the studio to assist this dude, but she's living in Spain now so that's not happening anymore.