website statistics

Weightlifting IWF Youth World Championships 2019

Totallympics

no China, no Russia. no Thailand ! are they banned or something ? I didn't follow news for a while but I don't think they are banned. I know why Iran is not participating here but what about those countries ? the level looks poor without them

At least some previously banned nations are back to winning a boatload of medals, that's got to be great news :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

At least some previously banned nations are back to winning a boatload of medals, that's got to be great news :p 

:d I wonder if it has anything to do with more strict doping testing system in USA. I'm sure you guys remember Ilya Ilyin didn't go to the World Championship in USA and two weeks later he broke the World Record in a GP event in Russia ! even though this is just a youth competition but having more positive tests will be costly for the countries with this Olympic qualification system.

just for info. Iran didn't participate because of the US visa process. which is long and very costly (they had to send the whole team twice to another country since there is no US embassy in Iran) and at the end of the day it wasn't a sure thing if they could obtain the visa.

9 minutes ago, MHSN said:

:d I wonder if it has anything to do with more strict doping testing system in USA. I'm sure you guys remember Ilya Ilyin didn't go to the World Championship in USA and two weeks later he broke the World Record in a GP event in Russia ! even though this is just a youth competition but having more positive tests will be costly for the countries with this Olympic qualification system.

just for info. Iran didn't participate because of the US visa process. which is long and very costly (they had to send the whole team twice to another country since there is no US embassy in Iran) and at the end of the day it wasn't a sure thing if they could obtain the visa.

It is so much time for sports federations to simply only award major events to countries who can assure every single participant* can be allowed to compete instead of struggling with visa.

*you know, except those with a criminal record or something :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, MHSN said:

no China, no Russia. no Thailand ! are they banned or something ? I didn't follow news for a while but I don't think they are banned. I know why Iran is not participating here but what about those countries ? the level looks poor without them

Thailand self-banned from top level weightlifting (they already said they won't show up in any major championship until and after Tokyo 2020...the news are on the Doping Bans thread on this same forum) after they were caught more than 3 times in the last few months, probably aiming at some kind of "mercy" in the upcoming sanctions...

and imho, Russia are clearly scared of what could happen if they go to compete in the US "under treatment" (and probably they thought it's not worth to go there and look like a second/third-tier team)...

This is promising. One of the youngest competitors, from Kazakhstan, winning gold with a total weight higher than the winner in a heavier category. Can't go wrong.

ZeaWaXJ.png

Although it might not say that much, since these world champs are an absolute farce in terms of (number of) participants.