:ROU ROU,  0 / 1 / 0
:SCO SCO,  0 / 1 / 0
:ARM ARM,  0 / 0 / 3
:BLR BLR,  0 / 0 / 3
:GEO GEO,  0 / 0 / 3
:CRO CRO,  0 / 0 / 1
:FRA FRA,  0 / 0 / 1

6 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Interesting enough,Italy won 5 women medals but 0 in men's competition.

quite normal in these days for our boxing...

according to our federation, which normally is very polite and always try to avoid any sort of polemic comment, we got really robbed at least twice in the men's quarters (which would have got us 2 medals)...

however, this men's team was pretty poor (only a couple of guys are somehow decent) and moreover our only real great boxer wasn't there because of an injury (Aziz Mouhieddine in the -91kg, who won this tournament last year and probably is the only current Italian amateur who has a bright future ahead of him if and when he turns pro...actually to me he's already the best heavyweight in the AIBA world, but it's obvious that with the ongoing feud between our officials and both EUBC and AIBA lords he's not going to win any major medal among the AIBA/EUBC ranks)...

for what concerns the girls, instead, we have quite a few talented girls (many of them too inexperienced yet, but still), especially Irma Testa, who dominated all the youth and junior ranks until 2016, but then lost her mind after she didn't come home from the Rio Olympics with a medal...now the girl seems to have regained a bit of passion for the sport and she's possibly ready to get back to the place she belongs (the top of the podium)...

and also in this tournament we should have got something more than what we actually won, because our 54kg girl was robbed in the early rounds by the Russian who ended up with the silver medal and today the Irish Broadhurst was literally gifted the gold by the judges at a point where our NF president and EUBC council member who was supposed to host the medal ceremony for that class, refused to go out and give the medals away to protest against the judges' performance...

tbh, I didn't follow the tournament that much, but I read some news and all of them were remarking as most of the judges were absolutely shameful this week...many of them being just a bunch of idiots who don't even know what boxing is about...

16 hours ago, phelps said:

quite normal in these days for our boxing...

according to our federation, which normally is very polite and always try to avoid any sort of polemic comment, we got really robbed at least twice in the men's quarters (which would have got us 2 medals)...

however, this men's team was pretty poor (only a couple of guys are somehow decent) and moreover our only real great boxer wasn't there because of an injury (Aziz Mouhieddine in the -91kg, who won this tournament last year and probably is the only current Italian amateur who has a bright future ahead of him if and when he turns pro...actually to me he's already the best heavyweight in the AIBA world, but it's obvious that with the ongoing feud between our officials and both EUBC and AIBA lords he's not going to win any major medal among the AIBA/EUBC ranks)...

for what concerns the girls, instead, we have quite a few talented girls (many of them too inexperienced yet, but still), especially Irma Testa, who dominated all the youth and junior ranks until 2016, but then lost her mind after she didn't come home from the Rio Olympics with a medal...now the girl seems to have regained a bit of passion for the sport and she's possibly ready to get back to the place she belongs (the top of the podium)...

and also in this tournament we should have got something more than what we actually won, because our 54kg girl was robbed in the early rounds by the Russian who ended up with the silver medal and today the Irish Broadhurst was literally gifted the gold by the judges at a point where our NF president and EUBC council member who was supposed to host the medal ceremony for that class, refused to go out and give the medals away to protest against the judges' performance...

tbh, I didn't follow the tournament that much, but I read some news and all of them were remarking as most of the judges were absolutely shameful this week...many of them being just a bunch of idiots who don't even know what boxing is about...

Good post.

I new that there was some crisis in Italian boxing but at least women are just doing fine.

Robbing? I am surprised. :) Well,boxing is only sport in which referees and judges can do anything they wont and they are most important factor in this sport. Only way not to be robbed is to achieve a knockout. If match ends regularly then referee comes with a decision that can be obviously wrong. Like we witnessed many times before. Conlan,Indian fighters,they were all denied of victory because some corrupted referees had different POW. We had match Garcia vs Spence few days ago. It was clear victory. In AIBA regulated competitions Garcia could have been a winner.

AIBA is corrupted to the core. I spoke here about it in 2012. When you see their organisation you see many "suspicious caracters". They surely have an interest in some fighters and they let them win by any means. Usually,those fighters are from former USSR. Who knows what lies beneath the surface...

Italian mens team was always great. Every generation had great fighters,like Russo or Camarelle. Plus,Capai and others. But having AIBA in mind,why to bother fighting in amateur boxing when everything is possible but justice,when they can enter proffessional circuit even when 18? I wouldnt be surprised to see few boxers from Italian roster from Vladikavkaz to enter PRO even in 2019.

I like Testa from her junior age and expected great career from her. She stopped after 2016 but returned in style. 

Sadly,judges are ruining boxing. I watched some heavyweight matches,level of fighting was so-so. Even though you clearly saw many clear headshots from blue fighter,referee rises the hand of red fighter. I was so angry in 2012,after watching qualifing tournament in Turkey. Now i am just gutted. Cant wait to see boxing expelled from OG.

7 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

(...) Only way not to be robbed is to achieve a knockout. (...)

I saw also some knockouts reversed in DSQ for hitting after the referee's "stop" (for instance, our Vincenzo Mangiacapre at the 2017 worlds against a...surprise, surprise...a Kazakh guy)...:yikes::facepalm::nopompom:

7 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

(...) Italian mens team was always great. Every generation had great fighters,like Russo or Camarelle. Plus,Capai and others. But having AIBA in mind,why to bother fighting in amateur boxing when everything is possible but justice,when they can enter proffessional circuit even when 18? I wouldnt be surprised to see few boxers from Italian roster from Vladikavkaz to enter PRO even in 2019. (...)

for our guys it's more complicated than what it could look...

first, we don't have anymore a professional movement that's worth the abandon of the Olympic National Team, even if now it looks that the new agreement between our main Pro promoter and the new media platform DAZN could bring in some more money for our pro fighters...still, those in the lower weight classes, don't have enough opponents and chances to make money to leave the "economically protected" AIBA environment...

moreover, most -if not all- of those guys are enrolled in the military corps and it's difficult for them to leave those privilege...with them, they have a guaranteed job (and salary) even after the boxing career, therefore it must really worth the chance for them to turn pro...

however, a couple of guys who were among the key fighters in our Olympic team have made the step last year (among them, heavyweight Guido Vianello, now in the States trying to make a name for himself in the richest pro system of the world and one of our most promising yougsters, Mirko Natalizi, who's definitely more suited for the pro boxing than of AIBA's, being a "stone hand" rather than a fine technical boxer)...

Edited by phelps