website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

How does Wilmots keep getting these jobs? Already failed with Belgium and Ivory Coast. He must have the best agent in the world. 

Other "big" teams already in trouble are Saudi Arabia and UAE. I think the Saudi are almost out unless they get 4/6 points vs UZB.

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Better hope Beach Soccer finds gold :p. I know Iraq has problems with the Shias, but I think the hate against them as gone down. I’d say Iraq is actually a one of the best points in its modern history. Of course, since I said this there will be a civil war tomorrow, but that statement was worth it.

This Shia-Sunni thing is mostly made by western media. I never fell such enmity at all just because of that. and beside that the majority of people in Iraq are Shia.

the problem is that city of Basra was invaded by Iran not long ago. it's like Iraq playing in Khorramshahr, or Ghasre-Shirin or Sardasht. (where Saddam's army invaded and killed hundreds of people) of course people won't forget these things easily.

of course after something like 30 years, there is no hatred in general , no at all . something like a million Iranians are already in Iraq for a religious thing these days but people who live in those cities directly involved in the war and lost their family still very well remember that. specially nowadays Iran isn't that popular in Iraq because of meddling in their local businesses.

Just now, MHSN said:

This Shia-Sunni thing is mostly made by western media. I never fell such enmity at all just because of that. and beside that the majority of people in Iraq are Shia.

the problem is that city of Basra was invaded by Iran not long ago. it's like Iraq playing in Khorramshahr, or Ghasre-Shirin or Sardasht. (where Saddam's army invaded and killed hundreds of people) of course people won't forget these things easily.

of course after something like 30 years, there is no hatred in general , no at all . something like a million Iranians are already in Iraq for a religious thing these days but people who live in those cities directly involved in the war and lost their family still very well remember that. specially nowadays Iran isn't that popular in Iraq because of meddling in their local businesses.

So the Iraq v. Kuwait games must be a real treat then :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, LDOG said:

How does Wilmots keep getting these jobs? Already failed with Belgium and Ivory Coast. He must have the best agent in the world. 

Other "big" teams already in trouble are Saudi Arabia and UAE. I think the Saudi are almost out unless they get 4/6 points vs UZB.

I think he gets the job because he simply accepts all the conditions as long as he gets paid.

Queiroz was a tough man who never lost an inch in his wars ! when he wanted something he would get it anyhow. no matter who he had to fight for that, he was ready to take it on the sport minister or anybody else in the country.

for example Iran didn't use FIFA dates with Wilmots because our federation didn't want to interrupt our very very very prestigious stupid league. something like that was impossible with Queiroz. but it seems Wilmots has no problem with everything.

and beside that Iran has serious problems in "paying foreign coaches" because of the sanctions transferring money in and out of Iran is simply impossible. another reason for other coaches to turn down the job.

So the Iraq v. Kuwait games must be a real treat then :p

no. I don't think the casualty was that high in Iraq-Kuwait war. which was very quick. I'm talking about 8 years of war between Iran and Iraq with almost a million people losing their lives (for no reason).

Just now, MHSN said:

no. I don't think the casualty was that high in Iraq-Kuwait war. which was very quick. I'm talking about 8 years of war between Iran and Iraq with almost a million people losing their lives (for no reason).

Well thousands of Kuwaitis were killed I believe. The kid from Kuwait in my government class has two of his uncles executed when Iraq invaded. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Well thousands of Kuwaitis were killed I believe. The kid from Kuwait in my government class has two of his uncles executed when Iraq invaded. 

I know that but the thing is most people considered it Saddam's fault. not Iraq in general. Saddam also killed thousands of Iraqi people. he used chemical bombs to kill his own people (and Iranians of course) he was a monster that hurt everybody.

now he is gone, at least I can't feel enmity from this side. but from Iraqi side ? I don't know that. Iran is still the same. and as I said because of the current situation (with Iran meddling in Iraq's business and also other reasons) Iran isn't the most popular country there, specially in that specific town. I had absolutely no problem playing in Baghdad or Arbil or Karbala.

but if FIFA thinks Basra is safe, so be it. but it will be a hostile environment for sure like it was today in Bahrain. I just hope after today our players learn how to deal with it, that's part of the game.

apparently 3 stadiums are ready

the Khalifa stadium

EG16vuUWoAEKCau.jpg

the stadium of South

EG16adDWkAU6Opg.jpg

stadium el bayt

EEgSsD2WsAAJsgt.jpg

the rest are underconstruction

Spoiler

stadium Ras abou aboud

EG162ShWsAEkkAE.jpg

thamama stadium

EG169CNXkAActGK.jpg

stadium of the education city

EG16o8GX0AQPMZD.jpg

Rayane stadium

EG16hf0XUAEMzJv.jpg

Edited by bestmen

• 3 weeks later...

FIFA decided both games Iraq-Iran and Iraq-Bahrain will be played on neutral ground!

I'm sure our players and their families will feel better when they hear the news tomorrow. considering the current situation in Iraq and specially how they act against Iran these days that was very dangerous to play there, and no exaggerating it was life threatening. it seems our foreign coach didn't want to go there at all.

Ironically our federation never asked for it. which was dubious and surprising. they sent someone to check the empty stadium and say everything is OK ! yeah the empty stadium is safe ,everybody knows ! but fortunately FIFA acted itself and took this decision. rumors say both matches will be held in Jordan.

I feel sorry for Iraqi football fans but that was the right decision.