website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

13 hours ago, MHSN said:

Farsi = Persian . this is amazing people don't know that. Farsi is the Persian word for "Persian" in Iran ! we don't use the word Persian or Persia in Iran, in Kabul they call it something else but it's exactly the same. there are other languages in Afghanistan too. same as Iran, half of Iran population speak a second language (Turkish/Azeri, Arabic, Kurdish, Turkmen, etc)

of course there are small differences, some common words in Iran are different in Afghanistan. (and Tajikistan, they also speak Persian)

Cool :d Personally I've never used Persia for Iran, but looking at terminology only, I always liked 'Persia', because it sounds way more historical :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

51 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Cool :d Personally I've never used Persia for Iran, but looking at terminology only, I always liked 'Persia', because it sounds way more historical :p 

:d yeah I know but the word Persia is confusing, as it confused some of you guys here already

Persia/Persian is the name for the country, the race and the language !!! but ironically the word "Persian" is not Persian :d. it's English and it probably comes from "Parsi" which is the old version of Farsi. we call the language "Farsi" and the race as just "Fars" and as I said the name Persia for the country is a bit problematic. other races here don't prefer to use that word for the whole country. for example when they picked the slogan "Princes of Persia" for our football NT for one of the World Cups (2014 if I'm not wrong), some people here didn't like it AT ALL.

PS: by using an example from previous World Cups I just tried to make it a bit on-topic :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it seems FIFA didn't approve Iraq to host its home matches, I read different news about it. first says they just can't host it in Basra, 2nd says they can't host at all and it seems Iraq Football federation threatened to withdraw. this is kind of interesting because right now Iraq is hosting the West Asian Championship !!

personally I believe Iraq deserves to host if they can guarantee safety. I just don't think Iran playing in Basra is a good idea. they can play anywhere in Iraq, just not Basra. that will be dangerous for our players. Basra was battleground during the Iran-Iraq war not long ago.

Edited by MHSN

• 4 weeks later...

in less than 20 minutes the official Logo will be revealed

The Supreme Committee stated that the logo of the World Cup will be featured on these locations:

- Doha (Katara Amphitheater, Souq Waqif, Sheraton Hotel, Torch Doha, Doha Tower, Zubarah Fort and Ministry of Interior Building)

- Kuwait (Kuwait Towers)

-Muscat (Opera House)

- Beirut (Raouche Rock)

- Amman (Royal Hotel)

- Algeria (Opera House)

- Tunisia (Hammamet City)

- Rabat (El Rabat Corniche)

- Iraq (Baghdad Tower, Tahrir Square).

-  United States of America (Times Square, Broadway, between the streets of 44 and 45, and New York),

- Argentina (General Paz 15 de Agosto, Buenos Aires)

- Brazil (metro Domination Se Station, Sao Paulo)

- Chile (Av Kennedy/Padre Hurtado, Santiago)

- Mexico (Principal streets in Mexico City)

- England (Westfield Stratford City/Four Dials, Westfield Square@Westfield London, Canary Wharf and at Leicester Square)

- France (Gare du Nord, Paris)

- Germany (Berlin Railway Station)

- Italy (Sempione, Arco della pace, Milano)

- Russia (Noviy Arbat 2, Moscow)

- Turkey  (Yildz, Zuharatbaba, Bahcesehir Kism, Tasdelen, Mimar Sinan, Caferaga, Harbiye, Merkez, Barbarros, and Levazim)

- India (Babulnath Junction, Mumbai)

- South Korea (Coex Crown, Seoul)

- South Africa (Alice Lane, Sandton, Johannesburg)

- Spain (Callao, Madrid)