website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

4 hours ago, MHSN said:

as far as I know the current Yemen NT is founded by the Saudis. (hard to believe I know) of course some players probably "don't like" Saudi Arabia but it's not like they will boycott the match.

the last time Syria played its home matches in Malaysia. so maybe they even play their home matches in East Asia again. :facepalm: obviously Yemen and Afghanistan also can't "host" their matches. but Iraq will host its WCQ matches after a while. I think the last time was in 2002. and from what I heard we have to play Iraq in Basra ,  not a really good choice. hope they take the security very seriously.

I thought Afghanistan would play their home matches at home by now. I mean, I know it's not exactly going great, but somehow I thought in most parts of the country it wasn't completely abnormal for the region anymore..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I thought Afghanistan would play their home matches at home by now. I mean, I know it's not exactly going great, but somehow I thought in most parts of the country it wasn't completely abnormal for the region anymore..

Yeah I thought so too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

oh no way, the situation is even worse (comparing to few years ago) these days. this probably got boring for western media to report about Afghanistan but since we share the same language, whenever I listen the news there is always one explosion in Afghanistan per day among them. specially right now in middle of these "so called" negotiations. (even though I don't know how you can make a deal with them, they will never give up an inch about what they believe)

and remember football was somehow banned in Afghanistan in Taliban era, they don't like such things. an international football match in Afghanistan is a potential target for them.

btw looks like they are not happy with having their matches in Iran, they can have packed stadium here (even 100,000 big Azadi stadium was packed once for U23 match !!!) but it seems they are not happy with their financial agreement with Iranian football federation last time. they wanted Qatar but now they can't because Qatar is in the same group with them.

2 minutes ago, MHSN said:

oh no way, the situation is even worse (comparing to few years ago) these days. this probably got boring for western media to report about Afghanistan but since we share the same language, whenever I listen the news there is always one explosion in Afghanistan per day among them. specially right now in middle of these "so called" negotiations. (even though I don't know how you can make a deal with them, they will never give up an inch about what they believe)

:yikes: 

Again, learning things every day apparently.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

:yikes: 

Again, learning things every day apparently.

Well it’s not necessarily the same language I believe, right @MHSN? Afghan (or is it Dhari or Druze) and Farsi are very similar (all Persian in origin I believe), but I believe there are some subtle differences between the two.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well it’s not necessarily the same language I believe, right @MHSN? Afghan (or is it Dhari or Druze) and Farsi are very similar (all Persian in origin I believe), but I believe there are some subtle differences between the two.

Farsi = Persian . this is amazing people don't know that. Farsi is the Persian word for "Persian" in Iran ! we don't use the word Persian or Persia in Iran, in Kabul they call it something else but it's exactly the same. there are other languages in Afghanistan too. same as Iran, half of Iran population speak a second language (Turkish/Azeri, Arabic, Kurdish, Turkmen, etc)

of course there are small differences, some common words in Iran are different in Afghanistan. (and Tajikistan, they also speak Persian)

15 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

So how do people in Iran call their own country? :mumble: Because I'm completely lost now :lol:

Iran and it was always Iran (and not Persia) the official name was always Iran while in other countries they enjoyed to use "Persia" before 1935, at the time the Iranian government asked all countries to use Iran because Persia was actually wrong. Persian is a race and it's not all people in this country are Persian.

btw, you may find it interesting that we call your country "Lahestan" !! :d

Edited by MHSN

13 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Iran and it was always Iran (and not Persia) the official name was always Iran while in other countries they enjoyed to use "Persia" before 1935, at the time the Iranian government asked all countries to use Iran because Persia was actually wrong. Persian is a race and it's not all people in this country are Persian.

btw, you may find it interesting that we call your country "Lahestan" !! :d

Thx for the explanation :)

Yeah, we were called "Lachs" or "Lachy" by the East Slavics, Turks & other Middle East people since like forever :p But I was unware this still exists in Iran or maybe other Arabic countries. It comes from this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lendians

Most of the countries use the modern name versions of Poland or Polonia now. In Europe I'm fairly sure Lithuania & Hungary still use the "Lachs" version (Lengyel in Hungarian means Polish) but Hungary still uses the vintage version Magyarorszag as country name so it makes sense ;)