website statistics

[FANTASY CONTESTS] Biathlon Manager Game Discussion Thread

Wumo

image.png

Final Standing available here

ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b.jpg.4a05d2852188ff96f934faa5edf1d813.jpg :wBUL: Federer91 
5a91983c5af54_ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b-Copy.jpg.034592cc412660cfe59ff1ce89ac476f.jpg :wITA: Dunadan 
ca93554dea4b2d60ed198230c1a12f4b - Copy (2).jpg :wFRA: toulousain

The champion of the first season of Totallympics Biathlon Manager Games is @Federer91. :champion: He was far behind before the last World Cup stage, but by using the transfer point system, he took the overall lead and retained it over the stage. Congrats, @Federer91:thumbup: Due to a strict budget there is no fancy prize other than the honor of calling yourself the champion of Totallympics Biathlon Manager Game 2019/20. 

It long looked like @Dunadan would take the title, but unfortunately for him he was overtaken in the last WC stage. He has had a great season, so despite of not winning the title he can look back on successful season in BMG. 

@toulousain ended up 3rd. Overall a good season for him. Many of his biathletes did a great job throughout the season, so they could likely expect to be called back for next season.  

I hope most of the managers have enjoyed this first/test season of BMG. I have already spotted some issues with some of the systems which need a change for the next season.  About the next season. To be honest, it has often been very stressful to be both prediction contest manager and running this at the same time. I don't see myself manage this alone for next season, as I will likely move to Slovenia to begin my Master's at University of Ljubljana this autumn. Therefore, I would like to ask if one or two users would like to be co-managers for the next season? It would be great if the co-manager/s could take half of the races. So the co-manager/s would help updating the biathle points and the overall manager standing after a race have been completed. Co-manager/s will of course have influence on any new ideas/systems for the next season.  

I think that's was all from me on this season of BMG. Let's hope we wil have another season of BMG when the 2020/21 IBU Biathlon World Cup season begins. :) 

By the way, thank you very much,

@africaboy, @toulousain, @heywoodu, @brunamoura, @Dunadan, @Federer91, @Vojthas, @Monzanator

@hckosice, @IoNuTzZ, @Henry_Leon, @Agger, @RobtheAggie, @Kirkpatrick, @Olympian1010, @Ufilov

for participating. :) 

Edited by Wumo

Right, my main 'issue' is that I forget my teams/transfers all the time despite the reminders :d 

The main thing in general is that I loved the idea and how it's been executed. There are always things to improve, but major props for hosting and thinking of this :bowdown: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Obviously my biggest mistake was choosing Guigonnat over Jacquelin as this season's sleeper breakthrough :facepalm:  Samuelsson/Schempp/Kuehn also underperformed so I was always handicapped on the men's side. Can't complain about my female choices, Wierer/Herrmann did as good as I hoped for but guess going with two Top 10 on the men's side (JTB/MF) would have been better. Lena Haecki was very frustrating to watch in the second half of the season.

• 1 month later...

Okay, after spending some time in my ivory tower, drinking cognac, smoking high quality Cuban cigars and looking down at the lazy peasants, I can now present a new idea for a system for the next season. 

I have thought about introducing a grading system of the biathletes. A grading scale that will go from 2-30. 2 will be the lowest possible grade and 30 will be the highest. The grading of the biathletes will be based on three criteria: Shooting percentage from last season, skiing speed which will be based on skiing times from last season (more specific details will be explained later) and placement in last season's overall World Cup. 

Biathletes can score from 1-10 in every category, except placement in the overall WC where most biathletes will score 0. Again, more on that later on. I will do my best include and grade every biathlete who participated in a WC last season and many of the biathletes from the IBU-Cup who could get a start in a WC next season. 

Breakdown of the grading for every category:

Shooting:

This will be based on a biathlete's shooting percentage from last season's WC and/or IBU-Cup (Data will be from IBU's datacenter)

Grading scale:

≥ 90% = 10 

89.9% - 88.0% = 9

87.9% - 86.0% = 8

85.9% - 84.0% = 7

83.9% - 82.0% = 6

81.9% - 80.0% = 5

79.9% - 77.5% = 4

77.4% - 75.0% = 3

74.9% - 72.5% = 2

< 72.5% = 1

Skiing speed:

This will be a bit more complex. In short, it will be based on the average time gap per kilometer from the average time of the five best results in SPRINT races (measured in seconds) from last season. 

The data are from this site https://www.biathlon.com.ua/en/speed.php (Bear mind, Danil Beletskiy is somehow the best skiier among the men. This is of course a mistake. Otherwise, everything else seems to look reasonable.) Also keep in mind, not every biathlete, as those who only competed in the IBU-Cup, are not listed. Those biathletes who are not listed will automatically get 1 as grade. It has to be said, the list contains more than 300 biathletes. Those biathletes who have only participated in one or two WCs are also on the list. 

Grading scale:

0 - 0.99 = 10 

1 - 1.99 = 9

2 - 2.99 = 8

3 - 3.99 = 7

4 - 4.99 = 6

5 - 5.99 = 5

6 - 6.99 = 4

7 - 7.99 = 3

8 - 8.99 = 2

≥ 9 = 1

Placement in last year's Overall WC season:

Fairly straight forward, every biathlete, male and female, in last year's top 20 Overall WC will get 1-10. The rest will get 0. 

Grading scale:

1st = 10 

2nd - 4th = 9

5th - 6th = 8

7th - 8th = 7

9th - 10th = 6

11th - 12th = 5

13th - 14th = 4

15th - 16th = 3

17th - 18th = 2

19th - 20th = 1

21st and downwards = 0

Example:

Johannes Thingnes Boe grade would be 29

Shooting = 89.7% = 9

Skiing Speed = 0.10 = 10

Placement = 1st = 10

9+10+10 = 29 

The grade a biathlete will be scored will be used to determine the price of that biathlete. 

Managers would still have 10 biathletes on their team. 2 or 3 (haven't decided yet) biathletes from the same nation would be allowed. All 2 or 3 biathletes could be men or women, so managers don't have to split them as last season. Managers will be giving a certain amount of points in the beginning of the season. I'm not sure about the exact number of points at the moment but it will most likely be between 100-120 points, depending on how evil I will be to the managers, muhaha! ?

I have had some thoughts about how to implent some new additions to the transfer system. Could be something like, after every trimester, usually 3-4 WCs, managers could without losing any points sell one poor performing biathlete and buy one "better" perfoming biathlete. This way we don't end up having some managers losing 300-400 points in a transfer window. Decrease the amount of transfers from 12-10 in a season. Set a max cap on how many points a managers can earn in one transfer window. Also known better as Lex Federer91 :p.

Some thoughts about the point system I have had. I was never really a fan of giving points for the fastest course times in mass starts, so I would suggest to drop it and only keep for sprints and individuals. Mass starts could instead increase the amount of placement points to the top 20. Something like, 1st = 50 points, 2nd = 40 points, 3rd = 35 points etc... Or multiply the usual placement points with 1.5. 1st = 60 points, 2nd = 52.5 point etc...

I have to think about what to do about points in Super Sprints. I will come with a suggestion later this year. 

Lastly, the grades of every biathlete will be available in a excel document before the new season starts. I will post it here or in the thread for the BMG 2020/21-season. 

I would really to like to hear some of you thoughts about this new grading system and some of my other suggestions. I'm aware not everybody who participated last season is that much online before the winter season begins again, so I will post more about this when we come closer to the start of the WC-season. Hopefully as scheduled.

If you have some questions about any of this or would like to come with some suggestions, feel free to post them here. 

I will now go back inside my ivory tower to drink and smoke some more. Good day to you all, mortals, muhahaha! ?

africaboy, @toulousain, @heywoodu, @brunamoura, @Dunadan, @Federer91, @Vojthas, @Monzanator

@hckosice, @IoNuTzZ, @Henry_Leon, @Agger, @RobtheAggie, @Kirkpatrick, @Olympian1010, @Ufilov

This sounds pretty interesting actually, I can't really think of much to add (for now).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 7 months later...

One thought, what if you made it mandatory to have a non European biathlete on team.  It could be either from the Americas or Asia.  It could add another wrinkle in the game.  One more thing to manage.  Not saying this is a good idea, just an idea. 

4ninzf.jpg

2020/21 Biathlon Manager Game is now open

After being silent for some months, and with the start of the Biathlon World Cup this weekend, I will present to you the new format and rules for BMG 2020/21:

I will mention some of the changes here briefly and the rest you will be able see in the 2020/21 Biathlon Manager Game contest thread

- This season we will go with a grading system of each biathlete

- Managers will have 160 points from the start of the season to select their 10 biathletes

- Only one male and one female biatlete from the same nation are allowed on your manager team

- Managers select one male captain and one female captain for each WC round

- Point systems will be kept the same as last year, except Top 10 Fastest Course Times in Mass Starts will not be counted this season. Only Individuals and Sprints will award points for the 10 fastest course times

- After each trimester, the current Top 10 of the Overall WC will be awarded points which equal the same amount that will be awarded for the Top 10 Fastest Course Times

- By the end of the season, if a manager have 5 or more biathletes in the Overall WC Top 10 on his/her team, he/she will be awarded 50 additional points to his/her total

- The transfer system will see the most radical change. Managers will no longer be able to earn or lose points through transfers

- Managers will be given 8 transfers throughout the season for their use. Managers are allowed to use 3 transfers per trimester. Of course not using more than the 8 transfers allowed in total

- Mangers are not allowed to have a team where the total point grade is over 160 points. Keep that mind when you use transfers

- The BMG manager will no longer update the points of all biathletes. Only an updated provisional standing will be provided with the manager's total points after each race

I tried to make this season feel different than the last one. I hope you will find the grading system to be an interesting addition to the format. Due to me being busy with studies and a personal life I want to have focus on, I had to cut down on how much time I would use on this. That is why I decided to no longer update the points for every single biathlete. I hope you all understand this. To be honest, I really did consider not making a new season at all due to being unsure if I could manage it beside everything else. But I did see fairly positive feedback when I presented this back in April, so I will give it a shot

africaboy, @toulousain, @heywoodu, @brunamoura, @Dunadan, @Federer91, @Vojthas, @Monzanator

For the first World Cup round, managers can select a maximum of 3 biathletes in total from last WC season’s overall top 10 in both men’s and women’s WC.

I'm a little confused about the wording here. Does this mean A) you take the top-10 men and top-10 women of last season, and out of this pool of 20 you can have a total of three athletes? Or B) can you have three athletes out of the men's top-10 and three out of the women's top-10?

I'm reading it as option A, is that correct?