website statistics

Wrestling UWW Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov 2019

Totallympics

We will have Dan Kolov tournament in Bulgaria this weekend. I was checking the entries and wow. this is like a mini World Championship. so many big names. including 4 current Olympic Champions. it will be one of the best international tournaments in recent years if all of these guys show up. only Russia is not sending big names. (and Azerbaijan is missing) for Iran this will be a small team but still we have couple of our best wrestlers here.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/freestyle-and-womens-wrestling-entries-dan-kolov-nikola-petrov

some interesting matchups are Akgul vs Geno or Burroughs vs Chamizo. and the match I'm looking forward to is a possible match between Kyle Snyder and Reza Yazdani ! it will be Yazdani's first tournament after the Olympics.

10 ore fa, MHSN ha scritto:

We will have Dan Kolov tournament in Bulgaria this weekend. I was checking the entries and wow. this is like a mini World Championship. so many big names. including 4 current Olympic Champions. it will be one of the best international tournaments in recent years if all of these guys show up. only Russia is not sending big names. (and Azerbaijan is missing) for Iran this will be a small team but still we have couple of our best wrestlers here.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/freestyle-and-womens-wrestling-entries-dan-kolov-nikola-petrov

some interesting matchups are Akgul vs Geno or Burroughs vs Chamizo. and the match I'm looking forward to is a possible match between Kyle Snyder and Reza Yazdani ! it will be Yazdani's first tournament after the Olympics.

not sure Chamizo will show up...last weekend he missed the Italian Champs (he pulled out at the last minute, it's not been explained why?)...:mumble:

and also Azerbaijan had their Nationals last week (I saw they were broadcasting them on CBC Sport from Tuesday to Thursday)...I think that's the reason for their absence in Bulgaria...

2 hours ago, phelps said:

not sure Chamizo will show up...last weekend he missed the Italian Champs (he pulled out at the last minute, it's not been explained why?)...:mumble:

and also Azerbaijan had their Nationals last week (I saw they were broadcasting them on CBC Sport from Tuesday to Thursday)...I think that's the reason for their absence in Bulgaria...

oh that's a pity :( his matches vs Burroughs are always very interesting to watch

yeah Azerbaijan also sent the full national team to Takhti Cup in Iran couple weeks ago. that makes sense for them to not participate here.

5 ore fa, phelps ha scritto:

Chamizo will compete in Bulgaria. He announced it on Instagram ;)

33 minuti fa, Gianlu33 ha scritto:

Chamizo will compete in Bulgaria. He announced it on Instagram ;)

yes, the Italian Champs withdrawal was just "nothing"...

probably he wanted to save some energy and avoid any risk of injury in a useless (for him) competition...

by the way, this is our team for the Kolov-Petrov tournament:

men's freestyle

Givi Davidovi (-57 kg)
Abdellatif Mansour (-65 kg)
Frank Chamizo (-74 kg)
Carmelo Lumia (-86 kg)
Abraham Conyedo (-97 kg)

women's wrestling
Emanuela Liuzzi (-50 kg)
Francesca Indelicato (-57 kg)
Carola Rainero (-57 kg)
Aurora Campagna (-62 kg)
Elena Esposito (-62 kg)
Sara Da Col (-62 kg)
Dalma Caneva (-68 kg)

for what I see, we have another non-Italian born newcomer...Abdellatif Mansour :mumble:

p.s. and still no news of Kudiiamagomedov...it looks the new mystery of Fatima...nobody knows anything, nobody says anything, even the NF doesn't answer to any enquiry about him...meh...:facepalm:

Dan Kolov Freestyle Preview

Four Olympic gold medalists and reigning world champion Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO) will take the mat at the Monbat Sports Park Arena in Ruse, Bulgaria, to compete in the Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov tournament, United World Wrestling’s second freestyle and women's wrestling Ranking Series event of the 2019 season.

The four Olympic champions entered into this week’s four-day tournament are Taha AKGUL (TUR), Jordan BURROUGHS (USA), Kyle SNYDER (USA), and Hassan YAZDANI (IRI).

Two-time world champion Geno Petriashivili, along with fellow returning Dan Kolov champions Frank CHAMIZO (ITA) and Vladimir DUBOV (BUL) will try to defend their titles from a year ago. 

For Petriashvili and Chamizo to repeat as Dan Kolov gold medalists, they’ll each have to go through an Olympic champion and multiple world medalists.

Chamizo vs. Burroughs Round 4?
The road for Italy's two-time world champion and Olympic bronze medalist Frank Chamizo to defend his 74kg Dan Kolov title could head through his biggest rival, Jordan Burroughs. 

The pair of worldwide superstars are no strangers to each other and have sparked one of the most intriguing rivalries in recent memory since Chamizo bumped up to 74kg last year.

If they were to meet this weekend, it would be their fourth meeting in the last twelve months.

Burroughs, the four-time world and Olympic champion, scored the come-from-behind win in their first meeting at last May's Beat the Streets in New York City.

Then, Chamizo returned the favor, knotting up the rivalry at one match a piece when he grabbed the 10-10 victory over Burroughs at the Yasar Dogu.

Most recently, Burroughs gained the 2-1 match advantage when he came out on top in the Budapest World Championships bronze-medal bout, 4-4.

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 2 Avtandil KENTCHADZE (GEO)
No. 3 Jordan Ernest BURROUGHS (USA)
No. 4 Bekzod ABDURAKHMONOV (UZB)
No. 5 Azamat NURYKAU (BLR)
No. 6 Soner DEMIRTAS (TUR)
No. 7 Frank CHAMIZO MARQUEZ  (ITA)
No. 11 Yakup GOR (TUR)

Can Petriashvili Navigate 125kg Gauntlet?  
Two-time world champion Geno Petriashvili will be looking to defend his 125kg Dan Kolov title from a season ago, too.

For the Georgian big-man to repeat as a Dan Kolov champion, he’ll have to potentially defeat his biggest rival, Olympic champion Taha Akgul, and each of the three other 125kg Budapest world medalists.

China’s DENG Zhiwei (CHN) was last year’s runner-up, while Parviz HADI (IRI) and Nicholas GWIAZDOWSKI (USA) finished with the pair of bronze medals.

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 1 Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO)
No. 2 DENG Zhiwei (CHN)
No. 4 Taha AKGUL (TUR)
No. 5 Parviz HADI (IRI)
No. 6 Nicholas GWIAZDOWSKI (USA)
No. 11 Zelimkhan KHIZRIEV (RUS)
No. 12 Said GAMIDOV (RUS)

Yazdani to Make Ranking Series Debut  
Hassan Yazdani, Iran's world and Olympic champion, will make his Ranking Series debut this weekend at the Dan Kolov, where he’ll wrestle at 86kg.

The Iranian superstar is coming off winning his fourth straight medal at the world championships or Olympic games.

Yazdani fell short in the 2015 world finals but rebounded to reach the top of the podium at the Rio Olympics and Paris World Championships.

He dropped his opening-round bout of the 2018 world championships to eventual champion David TAYLOR (USA) (Taylor will not be wrestling this weekend) but bounced back to win a Budapest bronze.

To win his first Ranking Series event, Yazdani “The Greatest” will have to upend Rio runner-up Selim YASAR (GEO) and 2017 world finalist Boris MAKOEV (SVK).

Yazdani has not met Yasar during his time at 86kg but did defeat Makeov 10-0  in the finals of the 2017 world finals to win his first world title.

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 5 Hassan Aliazam YAZDANI (IRI) 
No. 6 KIM Gwanuk (KOR)
No. 7 Ville HEINO (FIN) 
No. 8 Boris MAKOEV (SVK)
No. 12 ORGODOL Uitumen (MGL) 

Can Snyder Rebound After Back-to-Back Losses? 
Two-time world and Rio Olympic champion Kyle Snyder returns to action after suffering back-to-back losses in the world finals and the opening round of the Ivan Yariguin, United World Wrestling’s first Ranking Series event.  

Snyder, who’s the second-ranked wrestler at 97kg, went to Krasnoyarsk’s Ivan Yariguin with hopes of erasing the memory of the 2018 world finals where he was stuck by Abdulrashid SADULAEV (RUS) in the opening period but instead lost his second straight match when he was stunned in the first round by Russia's Rasul MAGOMEDOV.

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 2 Kyle SNYDER (USA)
No. 3 ULZIISAIKHAN Batzul (MGL)
No. 4 Abraham CONYEDO RUANO (ITA)
No. 5 Elizbar ODIKADZE (GEO)
No. 14 Baki SAHIN (TUR)

Atli’s Comeback After World Bronze
Suleyman ATLI (TUR) will take the mat for the first time since October’s Budapest World Championships where he defeated Thomas GILMAN (USA), 5-4, in the bronze-medal bout.

The 24-year-old brings 25 Ranking Series points into the Dan Kolov and is ranked fourth in the world at 57kg. He’s the lone returning world medalist but isn’t the highest ranked wrestler competing at 57kg. The above mentioned Gilman finished with a bronze medal at the Ivan Yariguin and jumped Atli in the world rankings, where he currently sits in the third spot with 32 Ranking Series points.

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 3 Thomas GILMAN (USA)
No. 4 Suleyman ATLI (TUR)
No. 12 Sandeep TOMAR (IND)
No. 14 ERDENEBAT Bekhbayar (MGL)
No. 15 Wanhao ZOU (CHN)

Rahimi Returns, Will Wrestle Up At 61kg
Hassan RAHIMI (IRI) will wrestle outside of Iran for the first time since winning the 57kg bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.   

Rahimi underwent knee surgery and took nearly two years off before wrestling at 61kg for Team Bimeh Razi Babol at the 2018 World Clubs Cup. “I had knee surgery after the Rio Olympic Games, and I missed out on wrestling for about two years. I am very happy to be competing again. I love wrestling, and it is like blood in my vessel,” Rahimi said after one of his two World Clubs Cup wins.

Rahimi usually competes at 57kg but plans on staying up to 61kg, at least until the 2019 World Championships. “It was my first appearance at 61kg, and I am satisfied with my performance. I have aimed to compete at 61kg in the next World Championships, but I should think forward to the Olympic Games. I should choose between 57kg and 65kg, but it depends on the future situation.”

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 3 Joe COLON (USA) 
No. 11 Nikolai OKHLOPKOV (ROU)

Punia Looking to Keep Hot Streak Alive
Bajrang PUNIA (IND) is looking to keep his 2018 hot streak rolling and comes into the Dan Kolov as the 65kg front runner. He’s currently ranked third in the world at 65kg and holds 40 Ranking Series points (40rsp).

Punia, one of the sport’s biggest rising stars, is hoping to continue the success he achieved last year where he captured a medal in all six competitions he entered – including capping off the year with a runner-up finish at the 2019 world championships.

Last season, the Indian wrestler won the Asian Games, the Commonwealth Games, the Yasar Dogu, and G. Kartozia & V. Balavadze Price, and also finished in third place at the Asian Championships.

To win his first Dan Kolov title, he’ll have to stop Bulgaria's two-time world medalist Vladimir DUBOV from defending his title from a year ago.

(SIDE NOTE: Punia is coming off a win over Azerbaijan's three-time world champion Haji ALIYEV at the 2019 Indian Pro League.)

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 3 Bajrang PUNIA (IND)
No. 4 TUMUR OCHIR Tulga (MGL)
No. 7 George BUCUR (ROU)
No. 9 Niurhun SKRABIN (BLR)
No. 11 Dimitar Lyubomirov IVANOV (BUL)

Four Deep at 70kg
World champion from 2017 Zurabi IAKOBISHVILI (GEO) leads a pack of four top-ten wrestlers into Ruse.

The fourth through seventh-ranked wrestlers at 70kg competing this weekend are Iakobishvili, BAT ERDENE Byambadorj (MGL), Andriy KVYATKOVSKYY (UKR), and Ikhtiyor NAVRUZOV (UZB).

Outside of world title holder Iakobishvili, the only other ranked wrestler at this weight who has claimed a world or Olympic medal is seventh-ranked Ikhtiyor NAVRUZOV (UZB). Navruzov won the 65kg bronze medal at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games.

James GREEN, the United States' two-time world medalist will also wrestle at 70kg. Green won a bronze medal in 2015 and a silver medal in 2017, but only won one match at the 2018 world champion before falling to Bat Erdene in the second round, 4-2. 

Ranked Wrestlers
No. 4 Zurabi IAKOBISHVILI (GEO)
No. 5 BAT ERDENE Byambadorj (MGL)
No. 6 Andriy KVYATKOVSKYY (UKR)
No. 7 Ikhtiyor NAVRUZOV (UZB) 

PUREVJAV Unurbat (MGL) and Alexander DIERINGER (USA) are the two wrestlers who reside in the top-15 of the 79kg world rankings. 

Purevjav is ranked fourth in the world, and Dieringer, who collected 10 Ranking Series point after a third-place finish at the Ivan Yariguin, sits in the No. 12 spot. 

At 92kg, LUVSANDORJ Turtogtokh (MGL) and Magomed KURBANOV (RUS) are ranked top-10 in the world entering the Dan Kolov.

Luvsandorj lost in the 2018 world bronze-medal bout and left Budapest with a fifth-place finish. The Mongolian wrestler owns 20 Ranking Series points and is ranked sixth in the world at 92kg. 

Magomed Kurbanov holds 14 Ranking Series point and is the tenth-ranked wrestler in the world at 92kg. Kurbanov won the prestigious Ivan Yariguin after he swept the competition, going 4-0 in the round-robin tournament. 

Ranking Series Point Structure (Placement Points + Entry Points = Total Points) 

Placement Points

GOLD - 8 points 
SILVER - 6 points 
BRONZE - 4 points 
BRONZE - 4 points 
Fifth - 2 points 
Fifth - 2 points 

Entry Points 

10 or less entries - 6 points 
11-20 entries  - 8 points 
20 or more entries - 10 points 

SCHEDULE

February 27 (Wednesday) 
16:30 - Draw - FS - 61, 70, 79, 92kg; GR - 55, 63, 72, 82kg; WW - 55, 59, 65, 72kg

February 28 (Thursday) 
8:00 - Medical examination and weigh-in 1 - FS - 61, 70, 79, 92kg; GR (+2 kg) - 55, 63, 72, 82kg; WW - 55, 59, 65, 72kg
10:00 - Elimination rounds - FS - 61, 70, 79, 92kg; GR - 55, 63, 72, 82kg; WW - 55, 59, 65, 72kg
16:00 - Draw - FS - 57, 65, 74; GR-87 ,97, 130; WW - 62 ,68 ,76kg
16:30 - Opening ceremony
17:00 - Semifinals FS - 61, 70, 79, 92kg; GR - 55, 63, 72, 82kg; WW - 55, 59, 65, 72kg

March 1 (Friday) 
8:00 - Medical examination and weigh-in 1 - FS - 57, 65, 74; GR (+ 2 kg) - 87, 97, 130; WW - 62, 68, 76kg
8: 30 - Weigh-in 2 FS - 61,70,79, 92 kg; GR (+ 2 kg) - 55,63,72,82 kg; WW - 55,59,65, 72 kg Referee meeting
10: 00 - Elimination rounds FS - 57, 65, 74; GR - 87, 97, 130; WW - 62, 68, 76 kg
10: 00 - Repechages FS - 61, 70, 79, 92kg; GR - 55, 63, 72, 82kg; WW - 55, 59, 65, 72kg
16: 30 - Draw - FS - 86, 97, 125; GR - 60, 67, 77kg; WW - 50, 53, 57kg
17: 00 - Semi-finals FS - 57, 65, 74; GR - 87, 97, 130; WW - 62, 68, 76kg
18:00 - Final matches and awarding ceremony - FS - 61,70,79, 92kg; GR - 55, 63, 72, 82kg; WW - 55, 59, 65, 72kg

March 2 (Satuday) 
8:00 - Medical examination and weigh-in 1 - FS - 86, 97, 125; GR (+ 2 kg) - 60, 67, 77 kg; WW - 50, 53, 57kg 
8:30: - Weigh-in 2 - FS - 57, 65, 74; GR (+ 2 kg) - 87, 97, 130; WW - 62, 68, 76kg 
10: 00 - Elimination rounds - FS - 86, 97, 125; GR - 60, 67, 77 kg; WW - 50, 53, 57kg
10:00 - Repechages - FS - 57, 65, 74; GR - 87, 97, 130; WW - 62, 68, 76kg
17:00 - Semifinals - FS 86, 97, 125kg;GR - 60, 67, 77 kg; WW - 50, 53, 57kg
18: 00 - Final matches and awarding ceremony - FS - 57, 65, 74; GR - 87, 97, 130; WW - 62, 68, 76kg

March 3 (Sunday) 
8:00 - Weigh-in 2 - FS - 86, 97, 125; GR (+ 2 kg) - 60, 67, 77kg; WW - 50, 53, 57kg
Repechages - FS - 86, 97, 125; GR (+ 2 kg) - 60, 67, 77 kg; WW - 50, 53, 57kg
Final matches and awarding ceremony - FS - 86, 97, 125; GR - 60, 67, 77 kg; WW - 50, 53, 57kg

we have the first day finalists (which will be held tomorrow)

only non-Olympic weights today. the level wasn't that great.

61: :IND Tomar vs :KAZ Sanayev

70: :RUS Zakuev vs :RUS Bekbulatov

79: :ROU Nazhmudinov vs :USA Dieringer

92: :GEO Mtsituri vs :RUS Kurbanov

tomorrow draws are out and we will have Chamizo-Burroughs match in the 2nd round :facepalm:. (pity I most probably can't watch it live) but the level is very high in this weight. we also have Abdurakhmonov, Gadzhiev and Demirtas in the draw. we will have 57, 65 and 74 draw.