website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2019

hckošice

4 minutes ago, Matteo92 said:

Also, Windisch was 4th in the legendary Oslo mass start in 2016, and he missed the last target. Had he hit that one, he would have sprinted for gold. He was the only athlete to shoot 10/10 in last year's Oberhof relay, so he clearly likes these heavily windy conditions. 

I mean, his name is literally Windisch... :p

#banbestmen

I'm so happy for Wierer, for finally winning a gold medal, after so many years of disappointments. This girl should have achieved so much more in her career. Definitely has the skills to be a big champion and i have been so angry with all the mishaps, she has had. Now go win the World Cup! :yes 

Two years have passed since the Biathlon World Championships in Austria. It is time to look at the medal table statistics and see what's changed?

In 2017, we saw 11 different nations on the podium, compared to the 10 in 2019. Nations that haven't continued with their medal success from 2017: Czech Republic, United States, Belarus and Finland. New nations that scored a medal: Sweden, Bulgaria and Slovakia.

The medal table in 2017 was topped by Germany with impressive 7 golds and 1 silver. This time Germany got second with one medal less, but only two of them gold.

The medal table in 2019 was won by Norway with 9 medals of which 5 were gold, compared to 2017 where they were 6th on the medal table with 4 medals, 0 of them gold. Another interesting development is that not a single one of them were from a relay, 3 silvers for JTB and a bronze for Bjoerndalen.

Biggest losses of the championships go to the Czech Republic that were in third place with four medals back in 2017, France that were in second place with seven medals this year finishing in 8th with four.

Whilst the biggest gains can be attributed to Norway that I've already mentioned, to Italy that won a massive 5 medals compared to 2017's bronze medal by Alexia Runggaldier in the individual and to the hosts Sweden that won three medals.

Countries that managed to repeat their performance were Ukraine that went from 1 medal to 2, Russia with 2 medals in 2017 took 3 in this edition and Austria went down a medal from 2 to 1.

Edited by Werloc

Yeah Czech biathlon massively imploded.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Well, almost all of the :CZE  men medals are usually a tough to predict upset ;)  and with Koukalova gone & Vitkova having a terrible season the women are relying on Davidova alone. She's got a bright future ahead of her but 2019 just wasn't her WCh year... yet.

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Actually there was some heavy wind that day in Canmore as well. Windisch won with 4 misses, Top 3 in World Cup: Fourcade 6 misses, Shipullin 6 misses, Schempp 8 misses :rolleyes:  So one can say it was exactly that kind of day in Ostersund again. Big wind and Windisch goes 5/5 when JTB goes 0/5 :lol:

Btw, That's what you get if you only follow German athletes. Other nations win in biathlon too including Belarus in relay which was pretty famous ;)

Not everyone has the time to follow every race, especially those in the US/Canada that take place at weird times for european viewers, i am not surprised you wouldnt know anything about that (See, i can write bullshit about you too, without having any proof. I guess thats what happens when you cant finish a single comment without a personal attack. I guess you need that to feel superior. Pretty sad when a grown man needs to brag about his biathlon knowledge on an online forum to feel good about himself). I remember the relay at the olympics last year, the conditions were irregular so i stopped watching after the 2nd exchange or so. Good for you that you dont have any more important things to remember, some of us do, so dont blame them for not learning all the biathlon results of the last 20 years by heart.

What would you say? Did it help our discussion that i made unfounded claims about you or would you say that this will probably distract us from the actual topic?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.