website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2019

hckošice

9 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Maybe this is from Wikileaks :) !  The first biathlon themed dump!  To be a little more serious, I would love to see this, as well as the points list, races where points are available, how many, etc.

That's easy, every World Cup and IBU Cup, plus Open European and World Championships :p (and only sprint + individual + since this season supersprint qualifying)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So no points at all from domestic/regional competitions?  So if a Mexican biathlete only competed in the North American events, there would be no way for them to get a slot?  How then does a country get a slot, if you have to race in a specific race to get points, but to race in a specific race, you need to have points?  

3 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

So no points at all from domestic/regional competitions?  So if a Mexican biathlete only competed in the North American events, there would be no way for them to get a slot?  How then does a country get a slot, if you have to race in a specific race to get points, but to race in a specific race, you need to have points?  

The IBU Cup is open for everyone (assuming one demonstrates the ability to safely handle a rifle and stuff like that) :) 

You just have to get a certain number of points to be allowed to compete in the next trimester, if you don't, you have to skip a trimester. In my opinion the IBU points system is a billion times more fair than the FIS points system, because it's just impossible to compare for example World Cups with North American or Iranian races (to take XC as example). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So there is a maximum cap on the IBU Cup per nation (to prevent the race being all Norway, Russia and Germany), but not a minimum.  So in my example, all the Mexican Biathlon Federation would need to do is contact the IBU and let them know that they had an athlete who they wanted to compete in the trimester.  What if they had 5 and had the money to do so, would they be allowed all 5?  

I agree that the FIS system is very confusing, but it did allow for Tonga to have a rep in the last Olympics.

14 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

So there is a maximum cap on the IBU Cup per nation (to prevent the race being all Norway, Russia and Germany), but not a minimum.  So in my example, all the Mexican Biathlon Federation would need to do is contact the IBU and let them know that they had an athlete who they wanted to compete in the trimester.  What if they had 5 and had the money to do so, would they be allowed all 5?  

I agree that the FIS system is very confusing, but it did allow for Tonga to have a rep in the last Olympics.

Yeah, it did...it also at some point allowed for Thailand to compete in alpine skiing :whistle: 

14 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

That is correct :p  (at least for one trimester, those who get under 250 points at least once in a race can compete in the next one as well, those who don't have to skip the next trimester and then try again)

About handling a rifle safely: that's mostly up to the federation to kind of vouch for that if I'm not mistaken, there's not really an IBU-test or something where you have to prove it (not anymore at least), which I think is wrong, but alright.

@heywoodu That makes sense :) I found it in the ‘media’ section. You’re supposed to log in before you see any information but if you ignore and open up the tab options the ‘Quotas’ tab is accessible regardless ;) 

https://biathlonresults.com/membercenter/

1 hour ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

@heywoodu That makes sense :) I found it in the ‘media’ section. You’re supposed to log in before you see any information but if you ignore and open up the tab options the ‘Quotas’ tab is accessible regardless ;) 

https://biathlonresults.com/membercenter/

Cool :d

I wonder of athletes can get full access there :whistle: