website statistics

Iran National Thread

MHSN

We had the Greco-Roman World Cup in Iran yesterday and Today, which won by Iran quite easily since other teams didn't send their top wrestlers (Iran would win the even after all) still beating Russia 8-0 is something. even if it wasn't even their B team.

but most importantly in 3 or 4 weights this tournament was supposed to act as the Olympic qualifier

at 66kg, both Noroozi and Zeidvand dominated their opponents , It's hard to pick one of them, I guess they will send both of them to Poland, it's also possible to pick Noroozi because of his past.

at 85kg: Nouri won the trials was terrible here and this gives a great chance to Akhlaghi to make it to Rio. Nouri is only good for local competitions, I think they will probably pick Akhlaghi but sending both of them Poland is also an option.

at 98kg: Rezaei and Aliyari were supposed to wrestle each other after the World Cup but Aliyari losing to a below average Turkish wrestler will probably cancel that match, Rezaei himself wasn't that convincing in the final but still he is the Olympic Champion ! I highly doubt they give Aliyari another chance.

at 130kg: Bashir BBJZ was good here, they were supposed to evaluate his situation here, Ghasemi-Monjazi won the quota for Iran and he was absent here. with good performance of Bashir, I think the best decision is sending both of them to an international competition to determine the better wrestler

Sourian (59) and Abdevali (75) are already selected.

On 5/20/2016 at 20:39, MHSN said:

at 66kg, both Noroozi and Zeidvand dominated their opponents , It's hard to pick one of them, I guess they will send both of them to Poland, it's also possible to pick Noroozi because of his past.

i don't think zeidvand  became international wrestler yet, and for the start, olympic games would be too much for him. wrestlers in greco should prove themselves in non-hosting situations (like what reza atri did in freestyle) cause in so many matches the place of the wrestlers get caution may be switch and that would effect the result. i think he's still local wrestler but i hope he'll get better in next few years

Edited by amiry2j

non-official: new world record for weight lifting in 85 kg

during the training  kianoush rostami broke the 18 years old world record in clean & jerk  and increased it to 220 kg. 

source(+movie)

Edited by amiry2j

According to Farsnews Saeed Alihousseini ban will end on october 24`th  2017! This is very surprising to me since he had a life time ban after failing two doping tests. He says his goal is the gold medal in the olympic games 2020. I think it will be very interesting if he really can achieve his old records whether we believe his story or not. Since he is born 1988 it is not completely impossible for him to have a comeback. The second interesting part of the story is how the iranian federation convinced the IWF to remove his ban. I would like to hear your opinions about the story. To me the whole story looks a little bit fishy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2016 at 20:50, ledon said:

According to Farsnews Saeed Alihousseini ban will end on october 24`th  2017! This is very surprising to me since he had a life time ban after failing two doping tests. He says his goal is the gold medal in the olympic games 2020. I think it will be very interesting if he really can achieve his old records whether we believe his story or not. Since he is born 1988 it is not completely impossible for him to have a comeback. The second interesting part of the story is how the iranian federation convinced the IWF to remove his ban. I would like to hear your opinions about the story. To me the whole story looks a little bit fishy.

IWF has a new rule, they just removed life time ban from their rules, now you will get 8 years ban for the 2nd time. they just convinced IWF to apply this new rule to the old case of Alihosseini.

I hope he comes back soon, as far as I know he was innocent in both cases. he deserves a world or olympic medal after all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

now we almost know our squad in freestyle wrestling, yesterday we had trials in the last weight 125kg, which was controversial,

57: Hassan Rahimi

65: Meisam Nassiri

74: Hassan Yazdani

86: Alireza Karimi

97: Reza Yazdani

125: Komeil Ghasemi

That was really sad to lose Ahmad Mohammadi at 65, probably our best chance for gold in freestyle wrestling :( after his injury they forced him to wrestle in trials ,he lost, he was terrible at the World Cup and Armenia tourney was his last chance, again he lost to a random Armenian guy. Nasiri is just average, I highly doubt he can medal in Rio. even though he has his chances, there is no clear favorite in this weight.

realistically, Hassan Rahimi is our best chance for gold now but even for him nothing is guaranteed, we know he chokes sometime, I would also consider Reza Yazdani a gold medal favorite but we don't know about his shape after his injury, he didn't wrestle anywhere since then. if he is healthy he indeed has a good chance. we have good chance at 74 and 86 for medal, our wrestlers are good , very good but the thing is there are some legendary wrestlers in those weights, like Burroughs and Sadulaev, almost impossible to beat.

I don't know what to expect from Komeil, he is unpredictable, he almost lost the spot to Hadi but they made him wrestle once again , this time Komeil won narrowly. gold medal is almost impossible for him but he can medal at least

18 hours ago, MHSN said:

now we almost know our squad in freestyle wrestling, yesterday we had trials in the last weight 125kg, which was controversial,

57: Hassan Rahimi

65: Meisam Nassiri

74: Hassan Yazdani

86: Alireza Karimi

97: Reza Yazdani

125: Komeil Ghasemi

That was really sad to lose Ahmad Mohammadi at 65, probably our best chance for gold in freestyle wrestling :( after his injury they forced him to wrestle in trials ,he lost, he was terrible at the World Cup and Armenia tourney was his last chance, again he lost to a random Armenian guy. Nasiri is just average, I highly doubt he can medal in Rio. even though he has his chances, there is no clear favorite in this weight.

realistically, Hassan Rahimi is our best chance for gold now but even for him nothing is guaranteed, we know he chokes sometime, I would also consider Reza Yazdani a gold medal favorite but we don't know about his shape after his injury, he didn't wrestle anywhere since then. if he is healthy he indeed has a good chance. we have good chance at 74 and 86 for medal, our wrestlers are good , very good but the thing is there are some legendary wrestlers in those weights, like Burroughs and Sadulaev, almost impossible to beat.

I don't know what to expect from Komeil, he is unpredictable, he almost lost the spot to Hadi but they made him wrestle once again , this time Komeil won narrowly. gold medal is almost impossible for him but he can medal at least

As you know I'm not an expert, but in wrestling basically every Iranian that participates at least has something of a medal chance right? I mean, obviously not everyone is the main favourite, but they're all at least in the top-10 favourites in their weight classes aren't they? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

As you know I'm not an expert, but in wrestling basically every Iranian that participates at least has something of a medal chance right? I mean, obviously not everyone is the main favourite, but they're all at least in the top-10 favourites in their weight classes aren't they? 

Yes of course. in wrestling and taekwondo anybody from Iran is a medal treat.

History tells us to count on everybody in wrestling, sometimes when our bigger names fail, the others come and win medals, back in London , Komeil Ghasemi was a nobody who barely made the team in last days but he won bronze after losing to the gold medalist narrowly (by ball draw) but realistically our chance is very slim to win medal in some weights , 130kg Greco, 65kg freestyle.

in general we will have a better team in Greco-Roman, they are all experienced, all of them have won world/olympic medals before, 4 of them World/Olympic Champion but the thing is Greco-Roman is much more unpredictable, while in freestyle we know there are only 4-5 wrestlers to worry about in each weight. in Greco everybody can be dangerous.

even though we still have to wait for the coach to announce the team , but this is most probably our Greco team, this is interesting we exactly send the same 6 guys to London and they won 3 gold medals for us !

59: Hamid Sourian

66: Omid Norouzi

75: Saeid Abdevali

85: Habibollah Akhlaghi

98: Ghasem Rezaei

130: Bashir Babajanzadeh

only Sourian and Abdevali are officially selected. and I can say Akhlaghi as well, because his rival Nouri was TERRIBLE in international competitions. he beat Akhlaghi 3 times this year but he is only good against Akhlaghi apparently !! Norouzi has a rival in Zeidvand, who won Polish tourney recently beating the World Champion from South Korea. still I think coach Bana will pick Norouzi 90%. the same goes to Rezaei at 98, Mehdi Aliyari won the Polish tourney (even though nto in a convincing way),

the only serious question is in 130kg, Ghasemi-Monjazi won the quota but he lost to Babajanzadeh in Poland, but narrowly. it's really hard to pick any of them, even though I think this is our weakest weight, I believe Bana will pick BBJZ eventually but Ghasemi-Monjazi would be my pick, at least he can do crazy things sometimes.

today we had a competition between weightlifters to determine the national team for the Olympics, coach will announce the team soon but here is the result , not impressing at all.

Ayoub Mousavi (85) 165+200=365 (162X 162X 165 / 200 210X 211X)

Ali Hashemi (94) 175+no mark ! (172X 175 180X / 212X 212X 215X)

Sohrab Moradi (94) 180+234=414 (180 185X 188X / 220 234 -)

Mohammad Reza Barari (105) 180+220=400 (180 185X 185X / 220 225X 225X )

Bahador Molaei (+105) 190+240=430 (190 195X 195X / 240 252X -)

Kianoush Rostami (85) is training separately in another city (in Tehran) and wasn't even there to compete and Behdad Salimi decided to not.

Moradi's 234kg rcord is 1kg higher than Ilya Ilyin current world record. still his snatch wasn't impressing by his standards, still he will be clear favorite for gold in Rio. others didn't impress at all. specially Barari and Hashemi they lifted even less than their Fajr Cup results ! Bahador has improved by 20kg which is a good sign, still he needs 10 more kilos to compete for a medal in Rio.

I think they will drop Mousavi for sure, Rostami, Moradi and Salimi are already selected. the last 2 spots are between Hashemi, Barari and Molaei