website statistics

Iran National Thread

MHSN

according to Iran Weightlifting federation, only 9 weightlifters remain in the national camp, 5 of them will go to Rio

85: Kianoush Rostami, Ayoub Mousavi

94: Sohrab Moradi, Ali Hashemi

105: Navab Nasirshalal, Mohammad Reza Barari, Kia Ghadami

+105: Behdad Salimi, Bahador Molaei

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

according to Iran Weightlifting federation, only 9 weightlifters remain in the national camp, 5 of them will go to Rio

85: Kianoush Rostami, Ayoub Mousavi

94: Sohrab Moradi, Ali Hashemi

105: Navab Nasirshalal, Mohammad Reza Barari, Kia Ghadami

+105: Behdad Salimi, Bahador Molaei

Do you know how and when will the Iranians chose their weightlifters for Rio 2016? This is going to be tough. 

20 minutes ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Do you know how and when will the Iranians chose their weightlifters for Rio 2016? This is going to be tough. 

They didn't announce a deadline, I expect to announce the team officially only a month before the Olympics, they probably even wait for the last day to announce an official roster because of possible injuries.

They dropped few athletes from the list after the Asian Championship, they will probably do the same after the "Fajr Cup (Iran GP)" in 30 days. I already can say Rotami and Moradi are pretty safe. (because of his suspension Moradi has to participate in two official tournaments to become eligible, Fajr Cup and Pan-Ams Championship !!!) and they are all waiting for Behdad Salimi to find out his situation after the injury, if he is in good shape he is safe too.

after all I expect Rostami, Moradi, Barari, Salimi and Molaei to be in Rio but still it depends on so many factors. injuries happen a lot in this sport. Nassirshalal and Hashemi also have chance if they improve their records.

8 hours ago, MHSN said:

They didn't announce a deadline, I expect to announce the team officially only a month before the Olympics, they probably even wait for the last day to announce an official roster because of possible injuries.

They dropped few athletes from the list after the Asian Championship, they will probably do the same after the "Fajr Cup (Iran GP)" in 30 days. I already can say Rotami and Moradi are pretty safe. (because of his suspension Moradi has to participate in two official tournaments to become eligible, Fajr Cup and Pan-Ams Championship !!!) and they are all waiting for Behdad Salimi to find out his situation after the injury, if he is in good shape he is safe too.

after all I expect Rostami, Moradi, Barari, Salimi and Molaei to be in Rio but still it depends on so many factors. injuries happen a lot in this sport. Nassirshalal and Hashemi also have chance if they improve their records.

Injuries may not only be a factor to these weightlifters preparing for Rio. As expected, they have to undergo a pre-Olympic doping test. If some of them have been tested positive for any banned substance, they are ineligible to compete at the Olympics.

• 2 weeks later...

How come the Iranians are not dominating the cycling Tour of Iran this year? :yikes:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

How come the Iranians are not dominating the cycling Tour of Iran this year? :yikes:

Maybe because of the level of foreigners are better this time ? or maybe because Iranians are not good in sprint events. :mumble:

honestly I don't follow Cycling that much, I hear the same names for something like 10-15 years ! and they always accuse each other of using drugs.

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

Maybe because of the level of foreigners are better this time ? or maybe because Iranians are not good in sprint events. :mumble:

honestly I don't follow Cycling that much, I hear the same names for something like 10-15 years ! and they always accuse each other of using drugs.

As far as I could see the level of for example the Dutch guys here isn't that high..

Normally the Iranians (you know, the big 2 teams if I'm right) would absolutely destroy everyone in these kind of stages with quite though finishes :p (except for stage 1)

I found it interesting that some unknown Dutch guys are taking the wins for now, but let's see how it develops :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Today was the last day of Kazakhstan Judo Grand Prix which is somehow the last qualification event before the deadline (we have masters later but only top 16 can participate) by my calculations Iran luckily qualified 3 athletes in Judo

Javad Mahjoub (100kg)

Saeid Mollaei (81kg)

Alireza Khojasteh (66kg) as Continental Quota

Mahjoub and Mollaei are by far the best Judokas in Iran and this kid Khojasteh was just lucky to win a silver in Asia and qualified for Rio only with one good result ! I just hope they send him to Rio , I have doubts because there is Israel in his weight and since he has no chance at all, they may not even send him to avoid future problems ! this is what they did to Javad Mahjoub 4 years ago when he was a youngster. they didn't send him to London by a fake injury.

On 5/3/2016 at 22:12, MantaRaymarc said:

looks like they will announce the roster 3 weeks before start of  the competition

Edited by amiry2j