website statistics

Men's Baseball MLB 2019

hckošice

I don't know which pitcher it was about, but I heard a commentator say a line like "He has an 0-2 record and xxx ERA in his career in games in which a postseason series could be clinched."

For fuck's sake, stop coming up with statistics based on a sample of two (two!) games. Jesus.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19-31 in late May.

Wins the wild card by 1 run against brew crew

Win NLDS in a game 5 against the Dodgers

Destroyed Saint Louis in the NLCS.

And then that amazing World series!

Congratulations Washington, your first world series. As a Braves fan I'm salty as all hell but I'm proud of ya 

Edited by KingOfTheRhinos

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

I don't know which pitcher it was about, but I heard a commentator say a line like "He has an 0-2 record and xxx ERA in his career in games in which a postseason series could be clinched."

For fuck's sake, stop coming up with statistics based on a sample of two (two!) games. Jesus.

Here's the thing, starting pitchers are basically only playing like twice in Best of 7 series. Most of them don't even have a shot at two series clinching appearances. Baseball is all about the numbers these days anyway, launch angle & exit velocity must be the most meaningless stats ever. Not to mention the infamous Wins Above Replacement which compares the numbers to a player that doesn't even exist. This is just insane in all aspects.

Just now, Monzanator said:

Here's the thing, starting pitchers are basically only playing like twice in Best of 7 series. Most of them don't even have a shot at two series clinching appearances.

I know, and that's fine, but then don't come up with stats and make it seem like they mean anything in such a tiny sample :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

55 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Baseball is ALL stats, buddy! Didn't you see the Brad Pitt movie? :p

And anyone who takes stats seriously knows a sample of two means nothing :d

29 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

And anyone who takes stats seriously knows a sample of two means nothing :d

It's more complicated than this. Sandy Koufax started 7 post-season games and allowed 6 runs. 6 runs in 7 games yet his win-loss record is 4-3. It's basically impossible in the modern day.

Bob Gibson had 9 post-season starts with 8 complete games. He went 3-0 in 1967 World Series. Again, that's basically iimpossible to replicate anymore.

Most post-season starters don't even get to 10 games in the modern era so if someone has a chance to start in three series clinchers that's a very low percentage achievement. You just don't get the big sample sizes anymore without a proper dynasty in MLB. Astros, Dodgers and Yankees are the three most reliable post-season picks which can qualify as modern day dynasties but basically in name only. SF Giants have dropped the ball lately after winning three WS in a span of six years.

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

probably they were talking of Verlander...

he has won everything a pitcher can win in terms of individual trophies and rankings, he has won the world series, he has amazing stats through is whole career (playoffs included)...but he's 0-5 in world series starts...

it happens...it doesn't mean anything...

the same Clayton Kershaw, arguably the best pitcher in baseball in the last 30 years (at least), comes October has well below the average numbers (not to mention that basically he's one of the main factors of the Nats winning this year's world series)...

by the way, congrats to the Nats for this really unexpected achievement...

p.s. Steven Strasburg was named WS MVP...well deserved, I'd say (even if Rendon could have something to say about it, too)...

now, we have to wait until March, 26th 2020 for the MLB to start the next season...:cry: