website statistics

Canada National Thread

juddy96

10 hours ago, orangeman said:

Very good day for Canada so far.  Hopefully it follows through this evening with curling, speed skating and hockey.  

Where is the falling on your face emoticon?  Tonight was a disaster on all three.

It's truly amazing that Canada will have their best performance at the Olympics while curling and hockey have been a total wash.  That's actually really impressive, at least for our other sports programs.  

Edited by orangeman

Amazing that we've managed to do as well as we did with under-performing in the curling events. I don't follow curling other than the Olympics, I wonder what the federation's strategy will be going forward since clearly something went totally wrong here. The men at least played decent for most of the tournament. 

I am still super impressed with the ski cross, I've watched the women's race several times now, they ran such a smart race!

I'm not sure what can be done outside of forcing our four best curlers into a team and have them compete together. How would you even go on to decide that?

I think we have to realize that the rest of the world has caught up to Canada. They may not have the depth, but that doesn't matter at the Olympics since only one team competes.

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I'm not sure what can be done outside of forcing our four best curlers into a team and have them compete together. How would you even go on to decide that?

I think we have to realize that the rest of the world has caught up to Canada. They may not have the depth, but that doesn't matter at the Olympics since only one team competes.

I honestly don't think the Canadian teams were mentally prepared for the tournament and I really think that falls on the federation for not preparing them enough. I'm also perplexed to how the teams brought coaches from the national team as opposed to their own coaches, but that may be me not understanding curling culture.

23 minutes ago, james89 said:

I honestly don't think the Canadian teams were mentally prepared for the tournament and I really think that falls on the federation for not preparing them enough. I'm also perplexed to how the teams brought coaches from the national team as opposed to their own coaches, but that may be me not understanding curling culture.

Both teams have won world championships while Koe had two members of Kevin Martin's 2010 gold medal team. Politics may have been at play though. The fact that they forced Homan to change her alternate because "she didn't fit the criteria" was ridiculous. If she was good enough to compete at the worlds, she's good enough to compete at the Olympics.

8 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Only if you follow two sports...

I mean, they are the two most important sports to Canada. I't's hard not to feel disappointed despite the extremely good results in freestyle and figure skating, plus the historic achievements of the luge team. Other than that I feel every other sport either underperformed, did as expected or had disappointments that kind of overshadow the extremely good results (mainly figure skating and short track).

It really doesn't feel like out best Olympics (I still think that's Vancouver), even though we've won more medals than ever, though it's certainly been our best Olympics ever in a couple of sports.

Edited by NearPup

30 minutes ago, Nate River said:

I mean, they are the two most important sports to Canada. I't's hard not to feel disappointed despite the extremely good results in freestyle and figure skating, plus the historic achievements of the luge team. Other than that I feel every other sport either underperformed, did as expected or had disappointments that kind of overshadow the extremely good results (mainly figure skating and short track).

It really doesn't feel like out best Olympics (I still think that's Vancouver), even though we've won more medals than ever, though it's certainly been our best Olympics ever in a couple of sports.

There were also a total of 16 events less in Vancouver, so now there are more chances for Canadian medals in Snowboarding and Freestyle Skiing, Figure Skating Team Trophy, Team Luge and Mixed Curling, which might support your sentiments on Vancouver being better overall.

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

5 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The world has caught up, fine.  But the Canadian teams were just terrible most of the tournament.  Team Koe was 10 feet short of the hogline on a draw in the semi-finals, and that was about two shots after being 10 feet short on a draw to the button for a point.  Later on, Koe was way deep on a draw to score two in another end.  They made lots of unforced errors that cost them games.  We can say that other countries used to be bad enough so those mistakes didn't matter, but in my recollection Canada rarely made those mistakes.  

6 minutes ago, orangeman said:

Yay, gold in snowboarding!  But Parot had at least silver right there for him.  :cry:

At least he already has a medal.

Really happy for Seb, him bring the third best Canadian really shows the depth we had in this event.