website statistics

Southeast Asian Games 2019

Totallympics

So these games are finally over!!  At the end we ended up having lots of live streams some not even completed 

@Griff88 @Olympian1010 @PHI2019 Done with the 2019 edition :d

2021 -?  :VIE will top the medal tally 

I predict them already to win 20 golds in advance in the sport they dominate the world -Shuttlecock. 

This usually means badminton to most people but in Vietnam people play with shuttlecock like Sepaktakraw using any part of body except hands. It's like jianzi a chinese game. They'll win the singles, doubles, mixed, teams, quadrant ,freestyle single, double, team in mens and women's. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jianzi

23 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

So these games are finally over!!  At the end we ended up having lots of live streams some not even completed 

@Griff88 @Olympian1010 @PHI2019 Done with the 2019 edition :d

2021 -?  :VIE will top the medal tally 

I predict them already to win 20 golds in advance in the sport they dominate the world -Shuttlecock. 

This usually means badminton to most people but in Vietnam people play with shuttlecock like Sepaktakraw using any part of body except hands. It's like jianzi a chinese game. They'll win the singles, doubles, mixed, teams, quadrant ,freestyle single, double, team in mens and women's. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jianzi

Haha yes I am very aware of this. When Vietnam host multi event, they will make sure shuttlecock will be added. Vietnam will easily win the Games. Also vovinam and finswimming are expected to be on the list.

I actually hoped the government would agree to host the Games in HCMC, since I felt the venues in Hanoi looks old (despite it is used for 2003 SEAG). But they refused since building the Rach Chiec Stadium will cost more.

3 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Haha yes I am very aware of this. When Vietnam host multi event, they will make sure shuttlecock will be added. Vietnam will easily win the Games. Also vovinam and finswimming are expected to be on the list.

I actually hoped the government would agree to host the Games in HCMC, since I felt the venues in Hanoi looks old (despite it is used for 2003 SEAG). But they refused since building the Rach Chiec Stadium will cost more.

Vovinam is sure to be added along with futsal ,finswimming, beach handball, beach soccer. Suspected sports with high chances on the lists are beach woodball and the very famous vocotruyen. 

The broadcast intro sucked, but I really started to live for these awesome animations :wub:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 10/12/2019 at 08:09, PHI2019 said:

I think what happened is that the technical handbook included rules to break ties during the qualification stage. But there were no rules about breaking ties during the finals. So the Malaysians had a reason to feel aggrieved :facepalm:

Wait, what? FIG's rulebook states clearly that tiebreaking rules apply to all events.

To me, this severely pushes back any appreciation I could have for this competition. I know it's a small competition focused on local gymnasts, many of which are not exactly world class, but the organizing committee was completely lost when dealing with this situation.

25 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Wait, what? FIG's rulebook states clearly that tiebreaking rules apply to all events.

To me, this severely pushes back any appreciation I could have for this competition. I know it's a small competition focused on local gymnasts, many of which are not exactly world class, but the organizing committee was completely lost when dealing with this situation.

From this article, it looks like there was a difference of opinion between the FIG representative and the interpretation of the technical handbook on whether or not to award two gold medals. :facepalm:

Gymnastics: Malaysia’s chef de mission lodges official complaint over decision to strip Izzah’s gold medal in ribbon event | The Star Online

5 hours ago, PHI2019 said:

From this article, it looks like there was a difference of opinion between the FIG representative and the interpretation of the technical handbook on whether or not to award two gold medals. :facepalm:

Gymnastics: Malaysia’s chef de mission lodges official complaint over decision to strip Izzah’s gold medal in ribbon event | The Star Online

This sums it up: “We were asked to follow the SEA Games technical book, but now they want to change it to FIG rules. What's the point of the SEA Games handbook?"

Now, when there's conflicting information, one of the documents has to be taken as the most important one. They used FIG rules for everything from dress code of the gymnasts to the points awarded for each event, but they chose not to follow the FIG regulations when a medal was unfairly awarded to a gymnast. Very poor decision and a blow to the reputation of this event.

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

I don't know whether I am reading the right rulebook or not (I just hit the result from searching "FIG tie-break rules"), but only the artistic gymnastics section clearly stated that the tie-breaker is valid for all events in FIG calendar.

e.g: Tie-breaker rule is applied when Yulo's score is tied with our gymnast.

Whereas in the rhythmic section, the rulebook described tie-breaker for Olympics, World Games, and the World Champs, but no specific mention for other events. This might be the loophole, and together with that crappy handbook, Malaysia is simply using that as justification.