website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Championships 2019

hckošice

Absolutely pointless race, completely unworthy. The fact that the top 10 or so where this close clearly shows thas this course was way too easy. I guess Shiffrin cant believe her luck. A couple of years ago someone like her never would have gotten close to a gold medal in super g/downhill, but sadly the level of competition is at an all time low. I miss the days of Maze, Vonn and so on ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

very tight race, which is always good for the audience, but...but, even if the best 2 in the game ended up 1st and 2nd, this is not a track good enough to ski a world championship event...no way...

by the way, today the girls who should have the most regrets is Marsaglia...

she was by far the fastest at the start and among all those who finished the race within half a second from Shiffrin, she's the one who made the most punishing mistake (in the same place where also Shiifrin took a big risk)...

if only she could deliver for once a mistake-free race, probably she'd be partying right now...

vor 1 Minute schrieb phelps:

very tight race, which is always good for the audience, but...but, even if the best 2 in the game ended up 1st and 2nd, this is not a track good enough to ski a world championship event...no way...

by the way, today the girls who should have the most regrets is Marsaglia...

she was by far the fastest at the start and among all those who finished the race within half a second from Shiffrin, she's the one who made the most punishing mistake (in the same place where also Shiifrin took a big risk)...

if only she could deliver for once a mistake-free race, probably she'd be partying right now...

Rebensburg could say the same ...

She had a big mistake shortly after the start and was almost 0.3 seconds back + she had the worst sight of all the girls in the top 5-10.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Everyone made mistakes including Shiffrin & Goggia. The course suited GS experienced girls more than donwhillers like Siebenhofer or even Stuhec.

I believe Freestyle skiing drains the talent pool for alpine skiing and this will be a long trend in the future. The era of all-arounders like Wachter, Ertl or Paerson is dead.

22 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Absolutely pointless race, completely unworthy. The fact that the top 10 or so where this close clearly shows thas this course was way too easy. I guess Shiffrin cant believe her luck. A couple of years ago someone like her never would have gotten close to a gold medal in super g/downhill, but sadly the level of competition is at an all time low. I miss the days of Maze, Vonn and so on ...

People used to bitch when Maze & Vonn dominated too. It was supposed to be boring. The course wasn't easy due to snow conditions and the fact so many made mistakes. 1/3 of the starters DNF. That is NOT an easy course. Shiffrin is anything but lucky. Patrick Staudacher or Daniela Ceccharelli were lucky, when you have 56 World Cup wins and 4 WCh gold medals at age 23 luck has nothing to do with it.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Monzanator:

Everyone made mistakes including Shiffrin & Goggia. The course suited GS experienced girls more than donwhillers like Siebenhofer or even Stuhec.

I believe Freestyle skiing drains the talent pool for alpine skiing and this will be a long trend in the future. The era of all-arounders like Wachter, Ertl or Paerson is dead.

What? The most succesful slalom skier of all time wins gold in a super-g and you think that's the point to call the end of the allrounder? Also if anything a smaller talent pool will lead to more allrounders as the depth in the particular disciplines goes down. That said, I don't think freestyle skiing is that big of a problem for alpine skiing as the people doing freestyle skiing probably aren't that often the ones who would be succesful in alpine skiing. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb OlympicsFan:

Now this is just nonsense. The time gaps were small but not because the slope was so easy but because coincidentally nobody put together a perfect run. I generally don't get the hate for the slopes in Are. They might not be very long but aside from that imo the speed slopes are pretty interesting. You have technical and gliding sections, lots of jumps and waves and it isn't just one long forest aisle where the whole slope is basically just right turn, followed by left turn, followed by right turn,... The downhills in Are actually follow the terrain unlike most modern downhills.

About the depth being down, you are probably partially right, as Gut and Weirather are out of shape, Veith is injured and Vonn...the less said about her currently the better. So yeah the competition right now isn't great but I think you are looking at the era of Maze through rose colored glasses. I mean the fact that the first skier who came to your mind has won a grand total of 1 world cup super-g in her whole career (tbf plus a WC gold medal in that discipline) tells you quite a lot. So in 2013 people could have complained that aside from Vonn who crashed Maze just had no competition at all as Riesch and Görgl were out of shape that year, and greats like Pärson and Götschl retired a few seasons ago. I bet Shiffrin would have been one of the best super-g skiers back then as well just like she would be in any modern skiing era. 

Awesome race and close until rather late in the race :cheer: 

Just a shame nature once again forced a smaller course.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 minutes ago, Gigs said:

What? The most succesful slalom skier of all time wins gold in a super-g and you think that's the point to call the end of the allrounder? Also if anything a smaller talent pool will lead to more allrounders as the depth in the particular disciplines goes down. That said, I don't think freestyle skiing is that big of a problem for alpine skiing as the people doing freestyle skiing probably aren't that often the ones who would be succesful in alpine skiing. 

Shiffrin isn't a classic all-arounder like Wachter or Ertl was. Tina Maze was the last AA skier on the female side and even Vonn only switched to technical events to win the overall. If Shiffrin wanted then she could have won the overall doing SL/GS only. Even Hirscher doesn't do SG anymore because he doesn't have to. The era of all-arounders from 90s/00s will no longer be repeated. Vonn vs Riesch was the last duell of the AA because even Maze only won the overall when Vonn was injured. I used to think Fenninger vs Gut will be the next big duell but it wasn't to be due to injuries.

Let's make no mistake, Shiffrin will probably erase Stenmark's record within the next three years. She's 12 wins behind Hirscher but has a better chance of getting to Stenmark first IMO.