website statistics

CISM Military World Games 2019

Totallympics

Overall, I'm massively disappointed with this competition. I expected quite a lot, but the level was very questionable in some events.

In artistic gymnastics there were some important names, but the Chinese gymnasts were massively overscored from what I could see. The problem is that almost all of the judges were from China, so the scores were very biased towards home gymnasts. I am aware that this was a demonstration sport, but I hope it will not be officially added to the program in subsequent editions of the Military Games, unless there's commitment to scoring fairly the gymnasts in the future.

Tennis was a demonstration sport too and it also suffered with a very small field. Poland even got a medal because one of the teams did not show up for the match.

Diving was a joke. Brazil got three medals, but I feel ashamed for these medals. Two medals came from team events. In these events, the eight highest scores from previous events were counted, but Brazil only got medals because the teams behind Brazil counted seven scores or less (I mean, they did not even bother to start in eight events), while Brazil counted eight. The other medal was a bronze medal, but there were just three pairs competing.

This also happened in Archery, where France won gold, silver and bronze in women's para archery because no other country bothered to compete. Still, it's nice to have para events in this competition, so I will not even complain about this one.

3 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Overall, I'm massively disappointed with this competition. I expected quite a lot, but the level was very questionable in some events.

By now I've lost count of how many brazilian athletes complained about dubious judging/decisions. The one that probably was the most vocal about it is Caio Bonfim, who received a direct red card 20m away from the finish line in the 20km race walk:

I mean China had guides and had practiced on the orienteering trails. They even made special hidden routes for their athletes.

The judging did seem odd in Artistic Gymnastics. I mean the Chinese are good, but the Brazilians, Armenians, and North Koreans should have found at least one gold medal somewhere. 

It clear throughout the games that Chinese athletes were getting the better of end of the stick. At least most other events wouldn’t let the Chinese get away with this much blatant cheating. I mean if your going to cheat, at least put some effort in to not making it obvious as hell. :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

By now I've lost count of how many brazilian athletes complained about dubious judging/decisions. The one that probably was the most vocal about it is Caio Bonfim, who received a direct red card 20m away from the finish line in the 20km race walk:

I didn't even know about this. It's especially bad for Brazil because the government takes this competition very seriously, given that most of our top level athletes in minor sports are members of the military.