website statistics

Mediterranean Beach Games 2019

Totallympics

• 5 months later...

the Mascot

8df76c9df28a5ccce5e6fb55327f253bad4c52dc

Spoiler

Kanella Stasinopoulou is an artist and a teacher. Her inspiration led her to the creation of Patreas, the mascot of the Second Mediterranean Beach Games Patras 2019. She was informed about the competition by the Organizing Committee and decided to take part because the Games are held in the city where she was born.

One of the main terms of the contest was for participants to create an animal that lives and moves both on land and sea. She came up with the idea spontaneously and ended up with the seagull because it is the coastal bird that a visitor of Patras will encounter when moving along the coastal zone of the city, in parts of which (South Park, Plaz Agias) the Games will be hosted. She had never taken part in a contest before. She was urged to participate because sketching a mascot for the Games that will be held in her city was a challenge for her. However, she was impressed by the great publicity and fame Patreas received from the media and feels extremely happy whenever she sees him "traveling", inviting athletes and visitors to Patras. Her desire is to be photographed with the mascot during the period of the Mediterranean Beach Games Patras 2019 that will take place from the 25th to the 31st of August. Her artistic interests lie on painting and pottery, something which she does for personal pleasure. At a professional level, she teaches art at the Arsakeia Schools of Patras. She has studied painting and is also a member of the Visual Workshop of the Municipality of Patras.

e496580fecb0bb4f8e8306c88953e888209b4cce

• 3 weeks later...

The website has been updated. It looks very nice and useful: https://www.mbgpatras2019.gr/?section=2437&language=en_US

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Jur said:

Do other countrys take this event seriously?

Spain doesn't. We are only sending 27 ayhletes, most of them with low level/C team. No team sports, where Spain is actually really good.

I don’t think most Beach Games are supposed to be serious. I think they’re marketed as a fun sporting festival where athletes who normally wouldn’t get the chance can represent their countries, in some exciting events. I quite like the model actually. Beach Games also serve as a nice holdover until the “real” games. 

I quite enjoyed the African Beach Games. Hopefully the streaming is good so I can enjoy these too. I actually PanAmSports should adopt this model too @intoronto @vinipereira @mrv86.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t think most Beach Games are supposed to be serious. I think they’re marketed as a fun sporting festival where athletes who normally wouldn’t get the chance can represent their countries, in some exciting events. I quite like the model actually. Beach Games also serve as a nice holdover until the “real” games. 

I quite enjoyed the African Beach Games. Hopefully the streaming is good so I can enjoy these too. I actually PanAmSports should adopt this model too @intoronto @vinipereira @mrv86.

Well it's on their plans... but probably they are just focusing in the Junior Games for the 2021.2024 cycle.

It could benefit some disciplines to avoid cramming the Pan American Games with two many events.