website statistics

Aurora Games 2019

Totallympics

I am somewhat bewildered about the existence of the Aurora Games Festival. Apparently, this will be a women-only competition with a whooping six-sport program (including two winter sports). The only reason why I'm slightly interested is because gymnastics is part of the program (though no discipline has been mentioned as of yet, even though I'm 99% sure it will be artistic gymnastics). My question is: does the world need a competition like this? Tennis, ice skating and artistic gymnastics are sports in which women are as successful and well-known as the men. Why even add these sports to the program? I don't get it at all.

http://auroragamesfestival.com/

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

I am somewhat bewildered about the existence of the Aurora Games Festival. Apparently, this will be a women-only competition with a whooping six-sport program (including two winter sports). The only reason why I'm slightly interested is because gymnastics is part of the program (though no discipline has been mentioned as of yet, even though I'm 99% sure it will be artistic gymnastics). My question is: does the world need a competition like this? Tennis, ice skating and artistic gymnastics are sports in which women are as successful and well-known as the men. Why even add these sports to the program? I don't get it at all.

http://auroragamesfestival.com/

"Showcasing the best in women's sports"

There's stuff like the Olympics and you know, regular sports world championships for that. The best women in *insert sport X* are most likely not found in some obscure festival nobody's ever heard of, but in the main events of *insert sport X*. I doubt a lot of elite women athletes would be that interested.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 6 months later...

Well the games have been going on all week. I watched a bit of the gymnastics tonight. Interesting festival. I think it’s good for women’s empowerment and the message the all female athletes, The all female commentators, and all female judges sends a good message for young girls. Plus, it’s been tailored as a women’s empowerment event. I wasn’t really enjoying it, but I obviously wasn’t the audience they were catering to and I’m fine with that. They did bring in some very talented and exciting athletes to support the event. They also showcased some sports and events that normally wouldn’t get national television attention here in the US. I might go back and watch a few things actually.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I wonder how many women will know this thing even exists, considering I'm pretty sure 99% of die hard sports fans have never even heard of it :p (I certainly wouldn't without this thread)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder how many women will know this thing even exists, considering I'm pretty sure 99% of die hard sports fans have never even heard of it :p (I certainly wouldn't without this thread)

In a bigger picture, I wonder if there is one woman in the whole world who will start following sports because of gender equality. Not only gender equality is unfair, but I also feel like it's useless for their plan.

28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well the event was very well attended. I saw lots of little girls with their moms. Plus, I said, there are popular athletes competing. Their social followings would know. This is also the first year of this event. If the organization can get a better broadcast deal, I think the event would have a more global audience. The event does have a wonderful message though, and it is an innovative idea for women’s sport. I think it’s in the best interest of sport in general if events like this exist.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Sindo said:

In a bigger picture, I wonder if there is one woman in the whole world who will start following sports because of gender equality. Not only gender equality is unfair, but I also feel like it's useless for their plan.

As a direct cause, probably not. However the increased attention and funding for women’s sport because of equal opportunities might give women a better chance to make it as athletes. I always encouraged my sister to measure herself against boys and girls when she was younger. She loves sports because my family made it important that she knew there was a place for her.

It also should have been equal from the start. I mean the fact humanity is thousands, if not millions, of years old and we’re struggling with gender equality is pathetic. There’s better ways to measure a person. Women’s events should have been added a long, long time ago. International federations should have been pushing for their inclusion a long time ago. Though I think the IOC has rushed the process, I’m pro-gender equality in the Olympics. I think it will be hard to change anyone over 30s mind, but I think my generation will be much more used to gender equality and hopefully accept it more.

Just now, Sindo said:

When there are more chances, I'm sure even more girls will start participating in sports. I think the biggest battles in that regard are already behind us though, the bigger thing to change in my opinion would be to stop having special 'light' events for women (like the heptathlon instead of the decathlon). I'm sure everyone should at the very least have the chance to compete in the same discipline?

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

As a direct cause, probably not. However the increased attention and funding for women’s sport because of equal opportunities might give women a better chance to make it as athletes. I always encouraged my sister to measure herself against boys and girls when she was younger. She loves sports because my family made it important that she knew there was a place for her.

It also should have been equal from the start. I mean the fact humanity is thousands, if not millions, of years old and we’re struggling with gender equality is pathetic. There’s better ways to measure a person. Women’s events should have been added a long, long time ago. International federations should have been pushing for their inclusion a long time ago. Though I think the IOC has rushed the process, I’m pro-gender equality in the Olympics. I think it will be hard to change anyone over 30s mind, but I think my generation will be much more used to gender equality and hopefully accept it more.

Yes, adding women's events is generally speaking a good thing, although like with anything in life, a slower and more thorough approach might have been more helpful (for example not adding events that aren't even a thing in the World Cup yet, let it grow a bit first). 

The thing is, removing competitive men's events to do so is not the right way. It is unfair to the men who get their events taken away, and not adding women's events is unfair to the women in said events. Hence the best solution would be to just accept there need to be more athletes allowed and add the women's events without removing the men's events.