website statistics

Which Countries deserve to host the Winter Olympics Games ?

I think that Southern emisphere will deserve it, in general, although it would mean to change a lot of calendars and so on; (personally I think that to be able to spread and develop, a lot of sport should plan events all over the year everywhere in the world like tennis does, so in a relatively midterm future, this is not going to be a real problem). 

In case this happens, I think Chile would be a nice choice.

I'd love a South American Winter Olympics, but I doubt there's enough money to basically build everything from scratch. I mean, there's some alpine skiing venues and a snowboard cross course? Sure, cross-country skiing and in two places biathlon, but those facilities are rather....let's say, amateuristic. In my opinion it only gets a tiny bit realistic once stuff like ski jumping hills and sliding tracks can be built, deconstructed and moved to another place relatively cheaply.

NZ/Australia has a billion times more chance :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 30/01/2019 at 11:11, Wanderer said:

AUS/NZ is a dream option, still. And I agree, Chile could be very nice choice as well.

I am rooting for Slovenia/Slovakia combination though just for fun :d  How many athletes may make mistake and go to one instead to another country :d 

Just the dumb ones who don't look at the name of their city :evil: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

If you want a winter olympic outside of Europe/ East Asia/ N-A you'd probably need to get rid first of the sledding and skating sports :rolleyes:

That might not be necessary, considering one other continent already has medal candidates and another one is well on it's way to having them within a few years :p Might help in getting enough interest to have one rink

Plus an indoor sports hall can always be used anywhere, if not for any ice sport there's a ton of other sports one can do inside. Sliding tracks are a much bigger issue, which is why I referred to the plan of having ice-like plastic modular tracks that could be built - and after the event moved somewhere else - for a fraction of the current prices.

Edited by heywoodu

il y a 2 minutes, heywoodu a déclaré:

That might not be necessary, considering one other continent already has medal candidates and another one is well on it's way to having them within a few years :p Might help in getting enough interest to have one rink

Plus an indoor sports hall can always be used anywhere, if not for any ice sport there's a ton of other sports one can do inside. Sliding tracks are a much bigger issue, which is why I referred to the plan of having ice-like plastic modular tracks that could be built - and after the event moved somewhere else - for a fraction of the current prices.

Do you have a link on that ?

Just now, De_Gambassi said:

Do you have a link on that ?

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/bobsled-winter-olympics-plastic/