website statistics

Totallympics Suggestions and Problems Thread

Gianlu33

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else interested in bringing the overall medal table back to life? I always loved this feature and its how i first learned about Totallympics (no other site i know had this feature). I could collect all the data, but someone else would probably have to put it into a table (dont have any experience with that part).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Anyone else interested in bringing the overall medal table back to life? I always loved this feature and its how i first learned about Totallympics (no other site i know had this feature). I could collect all the data, but someone else would probably have to put it into a table (dont have any experience with that part).

The overall medal of the all olympic and non-olympic sports? I tryed to do it some weeks ago but it's impossible... to change the order of a row in the table you have to change the entire table :facepalm: I started some experiments for have a table here but work whit the same tabel on the result theared on which it is easier to work but every time that you must converter the tables you must change all codes, It is an hell

Am 26.2.2017 um 22:19 schrieb Gianlu33:

The overall medal of the all olympic and non-olympic sports? I tryed to do it some weeks ago but it's impossible... to change the order of a row in the table you have to change the entire table :facepalm: I started some experiments for have a table here but work whit the same tabel on the result theared on which it is easier to work but every time that you must converter the tables you must change all codes, It is an hell

No, only summer/winter olympic sports medal count. Maybe you could ask Sindo a PM and ask him whether there is a better way to do it.

Maybe if you decide to only update once a month, it would be much less work. I could always give you the data, but you would have to create a table out of it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

35 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

No, only summer/winter olympic sports medal count. Maybe you could ask Sindo a PM and ask him whether there is a better way to do it.

Maybe if you decide to only update once a month, it would be much less work. I could always give you the data, but you would have to create a table out of it.

Don't worry, I have all data ;) The only problem is how updates the table, maybe it's more easy than I think. I asked for advice to tuniscof yesteday, I hope to do both medal tables :fingers:

• 3 months later...

Since there's not a whole lot of discussion about it in the General Chat (none, to be precise), I'll just throw down my suggestion right here about more topics instead of forcefully having to post each and every bit of news, even major news, in one central thread.

------------

By the way, about new users: it doesnt exactly help that all tennis news goes in one tennis thread, all biathlon news goes in one biathlon thread, all road cycling news goes in one road cycling thread and so on. 

It'd be a lot more helpful if certain 'news events' would have their own thread, especially if it's sort of unique news. Like, if there's big news about speed skating but only in Dutch yet, I could translate it and open a thread for it, then link to it in English on social media. Or big news about sport X that's only in media in a country with non-English language Y yet, someone who speaks language Y could translate it (or at least the highlights/main points) and have a thread about it which can be linked and shared in English on social media.

If everything is in all these central threads and any change in that is absolutely impossible 'because it is impossible', there's no reason at all to link to Totallympics on social media. I post pretty much sports news on social media but I only link to Totallympics maybe once or twice a year to give someone an example of something. 

Example:

http://totallympics.com/index.php?/forum/23-beach-volleyball/

A beach volleyball subforum, which a beach volleyball fan could see and think "Awesome! Let's see all the fun that's in there!", only to discover that there's literally just four threads in it, with literally just one that could still logically be active. One! An entire subforum for one single thread! Like is the case with most sports. Why not have a subforum for beach volleyball and open a bunch of threads there when there is news, for a tournament, etc? It just doesn't make sense. 

--------------

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Anyway getting new users on Totallympics should maybe be a bit of a priority, because every forum thrives on the users it has. However, going around and stalking people with "come post on Totallympics" messages is probably going to annoy a whole lot more people than it'll bring here, which is why I'm trying to think of different suggestions. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

36 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, it gets rather confusing with only one thread for sport. There should definitely be more. Maybe even several for a big event, like: "Athletics World Championships - Day 1".

Things would get much readable then.

Excellent idea! And why not a thread for certain big things going on? Like in cross-country skiing where there's this whole Therese Johaug case that's been going on for quite a while now, a decent thread could have been filled with that. 

One could easily say "To stay up to date on the Johaug case, keep an eye on this thread on Totallympics and while you're at it, why not register and help us stay updated?" or something.