website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

I knew not to expect a lot, but still feel disappointed now that it's all over: I've barely seen anything, because the things I wanted to see (a lot of the classic winter sports) weren't shown, and that makes it a lot harder to really get into it. I'd rate it a 3 out of 10 in terms of how I feel about it, meh. I feel sorry for the many youth athletes who were sort of made to believe they'd compete in something huge, without realizing the IOC doesn't give a fuck.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

43 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I knew not to expect a lot, but still feel disappointed now that it's all over: I've barely seen anything, because the things I wanted to see (a lot of the classic winter sports) weren't shown, and that makes it a lot harder to really get into it. I'd rate it a 3 out of 10 in terms of how I feel about it, meh. I feel sorry for the many youth athletes who were sort of made to believe they'd compete in something huge, without realizing the IOC doesn't give a fuck.

Well as expected, we’re giving these games vastly different scores. I’d rate the games 9 out of 10, and say they were the best Winter YOG yet. I feel like the IOC really have a great vision for these games, and they’ve done well at implementing it. The broadcast issue with OBS is the main reason why the games get a 9 out of 10 for me. That’s really the only major fault I see here. I know that most of the youth athletes enjoyed their time in Lausanne, and were really appreciative of the experience. I love how Lausanne rose to the occasion. The games were largely a success in my opinion.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Also, a big thanks to Lausanne for hosting the games. Even bigger thanks the OC, the people work under the OC, and volunteers for all doing an amazing job running the games. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I'm curious how these games were better than Lillehammer. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

So it counts for nothing because niche fans were not able to see it live? Come on... I'm sure that none of the participants feel that way at all.

#banbestmen

34 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'm curious how these games were better than Lillehammer. 

It was bigger. More people seemed to know about the games. They were broadcast by major international channels. The concept seemed to be rock solid. There wasn’t any huge major controversy. The arenas were filled, and fans came out to the support athletes. There was more live coverage than before. There was more nations than before. Info/results were easy to find. Lausanne2020 did have a worse app though. Overall, the games felt bigger, and better than ever before.

52 minutes ago, dcro said:

So it counts for nothing because niche fans were not able to see it live? Come on... I'm sure that none of the participants feel that way at all.

I didn't say it counts for nothing, just that I'm massively underwhelmed (especially after Lillehammer 2016 and to some extent Buenos Aires 2018). 

Also: don't mind me, it's mostly just my frustration about these Games speaking.

Edited by heywoodu

The only 'major international channel' I found was Eurosport showing a few minutes of alpine skiing :p (and maybe some curling hidden somewhere on the Player)

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The only 'major international channel' I found was Eurosport showing a few minutes of alpine skiing :p (and maybe some curling hidden somewhere on the Player)

BBC, Marca Claro, NBC, and CBC all broadcast a good amount of footage as well. 

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Player showed most of the things that were on the Olympic Channel.