website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Drove me insane the last few days! That and “It will be close”, wins by 0.60 ?

"But the green light is still on!"

"The red light is on!"

"And he goes over half a second faster!!!!" --> someone who was 28th or something in run 1 and so going half a second faster than number 29 is just not very interesting since the medals are - normally - far from being decided yet.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

58 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Battle of words on the topic of equestrian involving an American teenager and an ancient Croatian who's been following equestrian since the eohippus was still walking the Earth. 

popcorn.gif

He asked if I knew what a stride was, no argument. I know it from running, and know what a horse’s stride is. 

@dcro Straddle is when you put your legs over something, but in such a way that they’re split by the object in the middle. Examples “I straddled the horse”, “Start in a Straddle in the Pommel Horse”, “He was going well until he straddled that hurdle”. Straddle can also mean to have legs open “Spread-Eagle” style. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I've seen around 100 runs of alpine skiing today and the times the commentator mentioned something like a mistake (other than obvious things like a DNF/fall) or something else 'technical' - like a decent commentator would do - can be counted on one hand. 

Same goes for the number of times he's mentioned any result someone ever had in, you know, the world outside of the Youth Olympics. I think I've heard him mention once that someone has raced in a Europa Cup race and once or twice that someone raced in a NorAm Cup race but that's about it. Don't these athletes race anywhere? (That's a rethorical question, obviously they do)

Oh and the rare times he mentions a favourite, it's entirely based on the FIS ranking where for certain nations it's just much easier to get good points and so high rankings...it doesn't make someone a favourite.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I've seen around 100 runs of alpine skiing today and the times the commentator mentioned something like a mistake (other than obvious things like a DNF/fall) or something else 'technical' - like a decent commentator would do - can be counted on one hand. 

Same goes for the number of times he's mentioned any result someone ever had in, you know, the world outside of the Youth Olympics. I think I've heard him mention once that someone has raced in a Europa Cup race and once or twice that someone raced in a NorAm Cup race but that's about it. Don't these athletes race anywhere? (That's a rethorical question, obviously they do)

Oh and the rare times he mentions a favourite, it's entirely based on the FIS ranking where for certain nations it's just much easier to get good points and so high rankings...it doesn't make someone a favourite.

That's quite common sadly. For a lot of people, sport only exists at the Olympic or World Championship (if at that) level.

You'd think a commentator would know better or at least be given a paper with that information, but you know, paying someone to figure out that information is too much for some media outlets.

2 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That's quite common sadly. For a lot of people, sport only exists at the Olympic or World Championship (if at that) level.

You'd think a commentator would know better or at least be given a paper with that information, but you know, paying someone to figure out that information is too much for some media outlets.

I think I'm too used to German and Dutch commentators, who are generally very well-informed in the sports I hear them in - and Belgian in case of cycling. Same goes for the few English commentators I regularly hear, like Martin Haven (bobsleigh, skeleton, motorsports) and Tim Singer (luge), who really do know what they're talking about instead of just mentioning someones split time and their world ranking.

Then every single time events like this come around, I get disappointed by the level of commentators.

Edited by heywoodu

3 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Guilty to an extent. For me, my favorite “sport” is multi-sports games, so I really only care when those come around, but watch a lot of other sports casually. The difference is that I do my research (as anyone who’s listened to the podcast knows).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think I'm too used to German and Dutch commentators, who are generally very well-informed in the sports I hear them in - and Belgian in case of cycling. Same goes for the few English commentators I regularly hear, like Martin Haven (bobsleigh, skeleton, motorsports) and Tim Singer (luge), who really do know what they're talking about instead of just mentioning someones split time and their world ranking.

It's also the Youth Olympics, so I'm not surprised that they are finding it difficult to attract top English speaking talent...

3 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It's also the Youth Olympics, so I'm not surprised that they are finding it difficult to attract top English speaking talent...

I get that, but still...surely there are people who can speak somewhat ok but more importantly, actually give the vibe of following the sport? These commentators talk as if it's the first time ever they watch these sports and they've just quickly gone through the Wiki on it..

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I get that, but still...surely there are people who can speak somewhat ok but more importantly, actually give the vibe of following the sport? These commentators talk as if it's the first time ever they watch these sports and they've just quickly gone through the Wiki on it..

Nope, it's easier/cheaper to throw in some news reporter that they were already paying to do the job. :p

21 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

17 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Nope, it's easier/cheaper to throw in some news reporter that they were already paying to do the job. :p

These are the regular OBS commentators. I recognize them from Pyeongchang. They also commentate a lot of the other sports on the Olympic Channel.