website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Finally an announcement from NBC acknowledging there will be TV coverage of the Youth Winter Olympics..

2020 Youth Winter Olympics TV schedule

3 hour nightly program on the Olympic Channel (the linear cable TV version in the United States).  Plus presumably all of the streaming coverage from the online version of the Olympic Channel.

Here’s my beef. Why have an Olympic Channel on TV, and then not show live Olympic events! I mean I’d probably just stream them anyways because that’s what I prefer, but cmon NBC. I don’t need re-runs from this summer’s world championships, or of the Tour De Ski, or of bobsleigh from last week; give me some good YOG coverage. 

I will say, I do like that NBC are finally giving the YOG some air-time in the United States, but it’s not a bad thing to want more.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Here’s my beef. Why have an Olympic Channel on TV, and then not show live Olympic events! I mean I’d probably just stream them anyways because that’s what I prefer, but cmon NBC. I don’t need re-runs from this summer’s world championships, or of the Tour De Ski, or of bobsleigh from last week; give me some good YOG coverage. 

I will say, I do like that NBC are finally giving the YOG some air-time in the United States, but it’s not a bad thing to want more.

Money.  Probably costs them nothing to show a highlight program.  They'd have to spend to fire up their studios and control room to show live events.

I'll be curious to see what they use Olympic Channel for in Tokyo.  I read that the basketball and soccer specialty channels are going away.  Wouldn't mind if they do the same thing as PyeongChang where Olympic Channel is all news and highlights.

9 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Money.  Probably costs them nothing to show a highlight program.  They'd have to spend to fire up their studios and control room to show live events.

I'll be curious to see what they use Olympic Channel for in Tokyo.  I read that the basketball and soccer specialty channels are going away.  Wouldn't mind if they do the same thing as PyeongChang where Olympic Channel is all news and highlights.

As long as stuff is available online live, I’ll be happy.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Came across a little something...

https://www.lausanne2020.sport/results/nh

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Came across a little something...

https://www.lausanne2020.sport/results/nh

I see they’re using @heywoodu favorite system :d

Taynara Da Silva will race both Biathlon and Cross Country @heywoodu. Maybe @brunamoura can give me a good scouting report about her and some of the other “exotic” biathletes?

I wish more countries will force/ask their athletes to fill out their biographies on the timing system. Personally, I find easier to cheer for athletes I can connect to, and I enjoy reading the biographies to see what kids are into these days. Professionally, it allows journalists (like myself) to write more creative and funny stories about the athlete.

In my opinion it’s a win/win. It takes 5-10 minutes, the athletes gain fans, the NOCs then have athletes that people like, and journalists can write fun stories. 

I love how all the European athletes claim to speak English, and then continuously make grammar and vocabulary errors in the biographies. However, this makes them more relatable, so my above post still stands.