website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

Lausanne2020 is claiming that 79 NOCs have officially announced they will participate in the games. By my count, that is an overall increase of 9 NOCs from the last Winter YOG. I believe that every NOC that qualified to the games chose to participate, but I’ll have to wait until final entries are confirmed to check that. The following NOCs will be making their Winter YOG debut: :ALB:AZE:ECU:HAI:HKG:KOS:PAK:QAT:SGP:THA:TKM:TTO.

In the last 4 years, we’ve really seen Pan American and Asian participation in winter sports grow, and while the majority of that is thanks to immigration and heritage, there are some great grassroots programs working to identify young talents that could become winter olympians one day. On that ground, :THA:SGP:TKM:KOS:HAI:BRA:ARG:TPE are worthy of commendation as many of their athletes are home grown, and have been giving the opportunity to travel and train for their respective sports. I think this YOG may show that there’s an even greater hunger for winter sports internationally, and I’m really looking forward to a great games at many venues that could classified as traditional homes to many of the sports on the program.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

52 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Lausanne 2020 has now an official app.

I had it on my phone two days ago. Always check for an app :p

The app functions pretty well, looks like there might be some fun things on there come games time.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@Ustatsch I don’t remember asking, but apologies if I already did...

Are you attending the games? Or participating in any of the games activities?

15 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Ustatsch I don’t remember asking, but apologies if I already did...

Are you attending the games? Or participating in any of the games activities?

No, I'm not doing anything there. Lausanne is a bit far away for me (and I know how ridiculous that sounds for an American :p)

I might watch some of the ice hockey event, if they get broadcasted somewhere.

6 hours ago, Ustatsch said:

No, I'm not doing anything there. Lausanne is a bit far away for me (and I know how ridiculous that sounds for an American :p)

I might watch some of the ice hockey event, if they get broadcasted somewhere.

Ice Hockey will be on YouTube and the Olympic Channel ;)

:USA has rejected one of its male bobsled quotas :(. We’ll send 1 male now.

One of our female skimo athlete said this in an interview: “My terrible balance is only rivaled by my terrible sense of direction”, and now I’ve lost all confidence in the team :p.

Based off the background information published by our national federation, I don’t think any of our athletes will be challenging medals, but I’ll be very happy if they are. The athlete who said that quote is also one of my favorite athletes now :d

Edited by Olympian1010

On 23/12/2019 at 09:28, Vojthas said:

Lausanne 2020 has now an official app.

You guys might want to download the app. There will be a “live trivia” game that will see the winner earn a free trip to the 2020 Summer Olympics.

You can also watch sports live and through replay on the app (not sure if they’ll show anything the Olympic Channel isn’t)

Edited by Olympian1010