website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

Just now, heywoodu said:

When it's about cross-country (and related biathlon), you can be sure it's only sons and daughters of Brazilians in Brazil...in other words, the entirely average Brazilian :p Or, better: those dominate these sports in Brazil. There do happen to be two young guys - one based in Austria and another in Spain - but they are exceptions in this case.

I find it interesting Brazil has pretty much two winter sports federations: one for snow, one for ice :d I'll refrain on commenting on them in terms of the work :p 

Not that uncommon I’m beginning to find out. It seems like quite a few countries have just gone with umbrella snow sport and ice sport federations. It’s mostly the traditional countries that have separate federations.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

And biathlon.

Dammit that’s the first sport I thought of, and then somehow skipped. Yes, that should also certainly be an the hypothetical program.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

hace 7 minutos, Olympian1010 dijo:

Not that uncommon I’m beginning to find out. It seems like quite a few countries have just gone with umbrella snow sport and ice sport federations. It’s mostly the traditional countries that have separate federations.

In Spain we also have only 2 federations (ice and snow) because individually, winter sports do not have enough licenses to create independent federations. In fact, there are several sports without a single participant right now (bobsleigh, luge, ski jumping and nordic combined).

3 minutes ago, Cobi said:

In Spain we also have only 2 federations (ice and snow) because individually, winter sports do not have enough licenses to create independent federations. In fact, there are several sports without a single participant right now (bobsleigh, luge, ski jumping and nordic combined).

Well technically bobsleigh has a Skeleton athlete. I don’t think there’s even any Ski Jumping hills in Spain...?

4 minutes ago, Cobi said:

In Italy too we have only 2 federations, with the same 2 division, but i guess that here it's a political choice

In the US we have: US Ski & Snowboard, USA Biathlon, US Figure Skating Association, US Speed Skating, US Bobsleigh and Skeleton, USA Luge, US Hockey, USA Curling, USA Mountaineering and Ice Climbing, and USA All Terrain Skating. All those are separate federations responsible for their sport(s) only.

hace 5 minutos, Olympian1010 dijo:

Well technically bobsleigh has a Skeleton athlete. I don’t think there’s even any Ski Jumping hills in Spain...?

Well, if you consider bobsleigh and skeleton as a single sport, then yes. In fact, our single skeleton athlete (Ander Mirambell) is training a team of 2 boys and 2 girls to assure that Spain will still have representation once he is retired. Furthermore, we also have one athlete in para-bobsleigh (I'm not sure if he is still active, but he was last year).

Ski jumping is a very curious case in Spain. Back in the 1970/80s the Four Hills Tournament was a success on TV, we had like 3/4 hills and we participated with some athletes at Sarajevo 1984, but suddenly everybody lost interest in the sport and the hills were closed.

4 minutes ago, Cobi said:

Well, if you consider bobsleigh and skeleton as a single sport

Well yeah but that's just nonsense :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

56 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah Brazil, Chile, and Argentina have done really well to qualify record participation in a winter event this time around. PanAm Sports really do need to consider bringing the winter games back. We could easily have Figure Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, Curling, Alpine Skiing, Cross Country Skiing, Freestyle Skiing, and Snowboard

And ice hockey too. Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia and Mexico sent teams to the Pan American Ice Hockey Tournament when it existed. The US and Jamaica are also members of IIHF, so we can have 8 teams in the tournament pretty much like any team sport at the (Summer) Pan American Games.