website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

Just now, dcro said:

Meh, I started to think we'll have a skills challenge player... That would be somewhat interesting, this is just boring.

Well, even if I am not happy or satisfied that they add this thing to the program, I must say the 3vs3 is much more interesting and dynamic to watch on such big ice. The play is usually Extremely fast and exciting, The actions spills and changes immediately from one side to the other.

I can understand why they added it to the program, in other hand I just can not sympathize with that mixed NOC BS, it would be much interesting to watch players used to play together than a team formed of 3 guys from :RUS:TPE and :TKM

@heywoodu don´t know if it was already mentioned or you already knew about, but apparently the speed skating events will be held in the St. Moritz lake (outdoors)

Also the 3x3 hockey thing teams will be formed by 13 players from different coutries including 2 goalie per team and every player will have to play at least once per match

In both tournaments, the eight participating teams will play against each other once which forms the preliminary round. The top four teams advance to Semi-Finals. Winners of the Semi-Finals advance to Gold Medal Games and the losing teams will play Bronze Medal Games.

A game will be played in an end zone of a normal ice rink. As such, two game will be played simultaneously.  :yikes: Given that there are no boards at the blue line of a normal ice rink, temporary hard boards will be used to separate the field of play from the neutral zone. :hairpull:

Each game will consist of three periods of 16 minutes. 50 seconds after the initial puck-drop, a buzzer will signal a line-change. The skaters on the ice cannot touch the puck after the buzzer and they must immediately skate to the player bench. The next line, when the buzzer signals the line-change, can immediately enter the ice and continue playing. There will not be any face-offs between line-changes. The goaltenders change every 8 minutes. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If the game is tied at the conclusion of the regular time, there will be a penalty-shot shootout. The shootout will follow sudden-death format from the beginning and thus it will allow one skater from each team to take a shot until a winner is determined.

23 minutes ago, hckosice said:

In both tournaments, the eight participating teams will play against each other once which forms the preliminary round. The top four teams advance to Semi-Finals. Winners of the Semi-Finals advance to Gold Medal Games and the losing teams will play Bronze Medal Games.

A game will be played in an end zone of a normal ice rink. As such, two game will be played simultaneously.  :yikes: Given that there are no boards at the blue line of a normal ice rink, temporary hard boards will be used to separate the field of play from the neutral zone. :hairpull:

Each game will consist of three periods of 16 minutes. 50 seconds after the initial puck-drop, a buzzer will signal a line-change. The skaters on the ice cannot touch the puck after the buzzer and they must immediately skate to the player bench. The next line, when the buzzer signals the line-change, can immediately enter the ice and continue playing. There will not be any face-offs between line-changes. The goaltenders change every 8 minutes. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

If the game is tied at the conclusion of the regular time, there will be a penalty-shot shootout. The shootout will follow sudden-death format from the beginning and thus it will allow one skater from each team to take a shot until a winner is determined.

At least this is one of three shity mixed events. Besides that, the program is very good and has me excited.

Overall the level of competition should be high, and there will be a seriousness to these games that’s been lacking in the last few editions.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

40 minutes ago, hckosice said:

@heywoodu don´t know if it was already mentioned or you already knew about, but apparently the speed skating events will be held in the St. Moritz lake (outdoors)

I had not given that a thought yet, but it makes sense considering it's in Switzerland and now that I see it, I am thrilled :hyper: :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I had not given that a thought yet, but it makes sense considering it's in Switzerland and now that I see it, I am thrilled :hyper: :cheer: 

yeah that may be awesome, just pity the competitons for Speed Skating, Luge and monobobs will be 400km from the all other events and the athletes will have to stay in a different olympic village.

Spoiler

The Lausanne 2020 Speed Skating competitions will be held on St. Moritz's specially prepared natural ice rink on the frozen lake.

Speed Skating Competition
Sunday, January 12
11:00 - 14:00 - Women / Men 500m

Monday, January 13
11:00 - 14:00 - Women / Men 1500m

Tuesday, January 14
11:00 - 12:00 - Mixed NOC Team Sprint

Thursday, January 16
11:00 - 12:00 - Women / Men Mass Start

Just now, hckosice said:

yeah that may be awesome, just pity the competitons for Speed Skating, Luge and monobobs will be 400km from the all other events and the athletes will have to stay in a different olympic village.

Hide contents

The Lausanne 2020 Speed Skating competitions will be held on St. Moritz's specially prepared natural ice rink on the frozen lake.

Speed Skating Competition
Sunday, January 12
11:00 - 14:00 - Women / Men 500m

Monday, January 13
11:00 - 14:00 - Women / Men 1500m

Tuesday, January 14
11:00 - 12:00 - Mixed NOC Team Sprint

Thursday, January 16
11:00 - 12:00 - Women / Men Mass Start

Yeah I get that and it's sad indeed, but not as sad as holding it in some boring standard new hall in Lausanne or something. And even more so for the sliding events: if it's in Switzerland, you really can't get away with doing it anywhere but epic St Moritz.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Yeah I get that and it's sad indeed, but not as sad as holding it in some boring standard new hall in Lausanne or something. And even more so for the sliding events: if it's in Switzerland, you really can't get away with doing it anywhere but epic St Moritz.

Yeah, I can’t wait to see Luge at St. Moritz. I never seen luge there before. The competition is very spread out, but the athletes are getting world class venues and experience and that’s what matters at these games. The organizing committee has also done very well marketing, so there should be plenty of spectators at all of the venues (especially since all of the outdoor venues are completely free (the indoor ones are too, but you have to apply for a pass)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela