website statistics

Pacific Games 2019

Totallympics

On 01/07/2019 at 02:46, Olympian1010 said:

So, according to the Samoan government, the brand new Multi-Sports Complex (which will host the majority of the sports at the games) was founded and built by the People’s Republic of China. Apparently they got tired of building new Olympic Parks in every major city in China, so now they’re exporting them :lol:. Although If I had to guess the PRC offered to build the complex of a token of gratitude for Samoa recognizing them over ROC. 

You're absolutely right! And guess who is building the main venues for the Solomon Islands Pacific Games in 2023, Taiwan! Because Solomon Islands still recognises ROC! The whole thing is called 'Stadium Diplomacy' and China and Taiwan are building stadiums across the developing world because of it. There was a funny story in Grenada where the contract for building the stadium was literally swapped from Taiwan to China halfway through construction because the government swapped their allegiances! 

33 minutes ago, uk12points said:

You're absolutely right! And guess who is building the main venues for the Solomon Islands Pacific Games in 2023, Taiwan! Because Solomon Islands still recognises ROC! The whole thing is called 'Stadium Diplomacy' and China and Taiwan are building stadiums across the developing world because of it. There was a funny story in Grenada where the contract for building the stadium was literally swapped from Taiwan to China halfway through construction because the government swapped their allegiances! 

Well at least the strange conflict gives us nice modern stadiums (which will be used since they didn’t cost the host government anything) for the next few Pacific Games

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 01/07/2019 at 08:46, Olympian1010 said:

So, according to the Samoan government, the brand new Multi-Sports Complex (which will host the majority of the sports at the games) was founded and built by the People’s Republic of China. Apparently they got tired of building new Olympic Parks in every major city in China, so now they’re exporting them :lol:. Although If I had to guess the PRC offered to build the complex of a token of gratitude for Samoa recognizing them over ROC. 

Yeah many stadiums and arenas in Africa, Oceanian Islands, and Central America are Chinese built. Put aside the sneaky political amd diplomatic stuff, I think that's better way to build a decent stadium compared to if those countries try to build by themselves (they won't get the same quality stadiums with the same amount of fund).

Recently they are building a sport complex in Cambodia for the 2023 SEA Games, and I tell you their aquatic stadium is way better than what we have for Asian Games.

6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Apparently :GUM Genie Gerardo is entered to compete in shot put, discus throw, hammer throw and javelin throw. :p

Not to atypical. Most “American” throwers are taught to throw shot put and discus, but at the college level are introduced to Javelin and Hammer too. I’m sure she’ll struggle in a few of her events just because she hasn’t specialized yet. Anything can happen a the Pacific Games, that’s why they’re the most entertaining continental games (plus the best athletes in the region actually participate in the games).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

So based off what I can tell, the opening ceremony will be broadcast (today for me, tomorrow for some of you), as well as the sports of Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Beach Volleyball, Boxing, Football, Judo, Netball, Powerlifting, Rugby Sevens, Rugby League 9s, Swimming, Table Tennis, Volleyball, and Weightlifting.

I’d say there’s a good chance that Basketball, Taekwondo, Touch Rugby, and Va’a get broadcast as well.

The website has links to the broadcast, but they are restricted in the US (and Europe and Asia I believe), but with a vpn set to Australia I think I can watch the games on there. I’ll update with more information when I find any. We are just over 13 hours from the opening ceremony.

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

So based off what I can tell, the opening ceremony will be broadcast (today for me, tomorrow for some of you), as well as the sports of Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Beach Volleyball, Boxing, Football, Judo, Netball, Powerlifting, Rugby Sevens, Rugby League 9s, Swimming, Table Tennis, Volleyball, and Weightlifting.

I’d say there’s a good chance that Basketball, Taekwondo, Touch Rugby, and Va’a get broadcast as well.

The website has links to the broadcast, but they are restricted in the US (and Europe and Asia I believe), but with a vpn set to Australia I think I can watch the games on there. I’ll update with more information when I find any. We are just over 13 hours from the opening ceremony.

Isn't it going to be broadcast in Olympic channel?