website statistics

Pacific Games 2019

Totallympics

With the games just around the corner (9 days to go), I thought it would be a cool little project to look at the unique war cries/dances of the oceanic peoples. Only teams/countries who perform these rituals before rugby or other sports will be counted on the list. So far are the ones I could find, but there may be more performed during the games.

:COK Cook Islands: The Cook Islands preform a different version of the Hakka than New Zealand (supposedly). The language used is Cook Islands Māori I believe, and there are some distinct differences in the two (technically three because New Zealand performs to different hakas) hakas.

:FIJ Fiji: Fiji performed an old Fijian war dance known as the Cibi until 2012. However they now perform a more aggressive Fijian war dance known as the Bole to counter the haka. Fiji has also begun to sing a Fijian hymn instead of the Bole at international matches.

:NZL New Zealand: New Zealand performs ever famous haka. They actually perform two different hakas, the historic Ka Mate (first example) and the Kapa O Pango (second example).

:NCL New Caledonia: I also found evidence of New Caledonia performing a work dance before games, but I couldn’t find much more information.

:SAM Samoa: The hosts of this year’s games perform a dance called the Siva Tau.

:TGA Tonga: Tonga performs a similar dance to Samoa since they share similar histories, Tonga’s dance is the Sipi Tau.

Edited by Olympian1010
Added New Caledonia

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 27/06/2019 at 00:02, Fly_like_a_don said:

Tonga, Fiji and Samoa favorite to compete for the Olympic Quotas in mixed team no New Zealand and Australian archers yet. 

Not surprised about New Zealand not showing up, they most likely would have declined the quotas. I'm a bit surprised about Australia, though I guess they can take the women's quota at the continental qualifier and save money by not sending athletes to Samoa.

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Not surprised about New Zealand not showing up, they most likely would have declined the quotas. I'm a bit surprised about Australia, though I guess they can take the women's quota at the continental qualifier and save money by not sending athletes to Samoa.

According to the website, both Australia and New Zealand have been invited to compete in Archery and have confirmed participation, maybe it’s wrong though

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

With the games just around the corner (9 days to go), I thought it would be a cool little project to look at the unique war cries/dances of the oceanic peoples. Only teams/countries who perform these rituals before rugby or other sports will be counted on the list. So far are the ones I could find, but there may be more performed during the games. 

Now, The Pan American Games torch came out today and it is the most bland, unimaginative, and lazy design I’ve ever seen. So instead of celebrating that one, let’s celebrate the awesome torch design for these games:

14CBCCC2-3587-4868-9899-A3BA75677206.jpeg

It is inspired by traditional Samoan tattoo designs and looks perfect for the jungle/beach environment of Samoa.

Edited by Olympian1010

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Now, The Pan American Games torch came out today and it is the most bland, unimaginative, and lazy design I’ve ever seen. So instead of celebrating that one, let’s celebrate the awesome torch design for these games:

14CBCCC2-3587-4868-9899-A3BA75677206.jpeg

It is inspired by traditional Samoan tattoo designs and looks perfect for the jungle/beach environment of Samoa.

image.png

*Buenos Aires 2018 submitted its homework*

Napoli 2019: Can I copy your homework?

BA 2018: Yeah just change it a little bit so it won't be obvious

*Napoli 2019 cut the top diagonally*

Lima 2019: Can I copy your homework?

Lima 2019: Who cares, the year is different, it won't be the same...

8 hours ago, Griff88 said:

image.png

*Buenos Aires 2018 submitted its homework*

Napoli 2019: Can I copy your homework?

*Napoli 2019 cut the top diagonally*

Lima 2019: Can I copy your homework?

Lima 2019: Who cares, the year is different, it won't be the same...

Oh My God! The Pan American torch has the same frickin diagonal cut, but the other direction :wall:.

So, according to the Samoan government, the brand new Multi-Sports Complex (which will host the majority of the sports at the games) was founded and built by the People’s Republic of China. Apparently they got tired of building new Olympic Parks in every major city in China, so now they’re exporting them :lol:. Although If I had to guess the PRC offered to build the complex of a token of gratitude for Samoa recognizing them over ROC.