website statistics

Biathlon IBU Junior & Youth World Championships 2019

Totallympics

4 hours ago, wumo26 said:

Nah, Skorusa's hobbies take too much of his time to learn a new language. "Girl" is not just a thing you do every Tuesday night. It's a much more time-consuming hobby... (or that is what I have heard.)

I’m dying, hahaha. Need to look at more of these. And I thought ‘Skull Collection’ was bad

Amazing results for Germany so far (compared to the last few years).

- Youth men's 12,5 km individual: "Only" a 5th place for Köllner, but a good track time and he is young enough to return next year.

Overall: Amazing to see Switzerland doing great on the men's side for a change, Kazakhstan continues their rise, very encouraging results for Slovenia (two guys in the top 8), very surprising that no russian or french athlete finished top 10.

- Youth women's 10 km individual: The worst result for Germany here so far (8th place), but amazing track time for Hermann and even with 1 miss she could have won this race, so very encouraging result for her.

Overall: Very refreshing podium, Finland doing great on both sides, the Czech Republic is doing amazing work on the women's side, a bit surprised that no norwegian girl finished top 10, also good depth for Italy on the women's side.

- Junior men's 15 km individual: Amazing result for Germany, 3rd, 4th and 9th. I don't remember ever seeing such a depth for Germany on the men's side in a junior competition. In addition to that insane track time for Riethmüller (and Grotian) who is young enough to return next year.

Overall: Kazakhstan again with a top 10 result and 2 swiss guys in the top 10 as well, but no russian guy!

- Junior women's 12,5 km individual: Another amazing result for Germany, 2nd, 3rd and 9th. Very encouraging, especially because Frühwirth is young enough to return next year and Pfnuer can compete 2 more years at this level!

Overall: Another good result for Italy, they have the depth but weren't lucky enough to win a medal so far. Another disappointing result for the french girls (in my mind they used to win tons of medals at this level?), don't know what to think about the chinese girl (China used to be pretty good on the women's side, this is probably their best shot to revive their women's biathlon in time for the 2022 olympics), Zuk must have had an insane track time!

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I am not sure whether i should consider youth or junior results more "important". What do you guys think (which results would you put more emphasis on if you had to choose)?

On the one hand junior results are probably more likely to translate, but on the other hand youth results are more important long term and there is always the possibility that some of the best juniors are already good enough to compete in the world cup and therefore don't compete here, making the junior results less "valuable".

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Greetings all.  Glad to have finally found an active forum that discusses biathlon.  It is hard to find that here in the USA, especially in the South where I live.  I look forward to learning a lot from you guys and sharing my opinion.

48 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I am not sure whether i should consider youth or junior results more "important". What do you guys think (which results would you put more emphasis on if you had to choose)?

On the one hand junior results are probably more likely to translate, but on the other hand youth results are more important long term and there is always the possibility that some of the best juniors are already good enough to compete in the world cup and therefore don't compete here, making the junior results less "valuable".

Great question.  I see a similar thing with soccer.  U 17 World Cup is a better representation than the U20 World Cup.  By the U20s, there are many players that are already on their National Teams.  They do not compete in the U20s.  The Youth see a similar situation.  Now the Jr's are also more prone to really good days, and really bad days.  One of the challenges that Jr's face is how to make the bad days not that bad.  Or in other words, how to minimize the damage when things are not going right.  This takes time and experience. 

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Greetings all.  Glad to have finally found an active forum that discusses biathlon.  It is hard to find that here in the USA, especially in the South where I live.  I look forward to learning a lot from you guys and sharing my opinion.

Hello fellow Totallympian (and American)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela