website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Vic Liu said:

Do you mean the list of sports in the Games or how many matches of each sport? I don't quite get it in English.

I mean number (and name) of events

for example ... never mind @Vojthas already said that

beside that if it's too early for that, I would like to know the list of non-Olympic sports, I heard about Baseball/Softball, Chess (and other versions of board games), Cricket, Jujitsu, Kabaddi, Karate, Roller sports (which disciplines ?) Sepaktakraw, Soft tennis (maybe ?), Sport Climbing and Wushu. you confirm that ?

3 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I mean number (and name) of events

for example ... never mind @Vojthas already said that

beside that if it's too early for that, I would like to know the list of non-Olympic sports, I heard about Baseball/Softball, Chess (and other versions of board games), Cricket, Jujitsu, Kabaddi, Karate, Roller sports (which disciplines ?) Sepaktakraw, Soft tennis (maybe ?), Sport Climbing and Wushu. you confirm that ?

I will try searching in Chinese but I guess they might not update anything during pandemic.

@MHSN

According to the latest committee conference resolution, there are total 31 Olympic sports and 9 non-Olympic sports, total events/gold medals around 460-470.

31 Olympics sports - no skateboarding and surfing (including sport climbing, karate and softball/baseball )

9 non-Olympics sports -Wushu, Sepaktakraw, Kurash, Jujitsu, cricket, Board games, Roller skating, Kabaddi and squash

I think sports are basically confirmed but events are not totally confirmed yet.

source: https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1644381703345691384&wfr=spider&for=pc

@JohnFoyne I know that you medaled at the 2017 World Games, at least according to your Twitter bio, but I don’t have you on the roster in the official results. I’m assuming your “real” or “proper” name is different to one you use, but there are two or three John’s listed, and none really match your profile name. We’re your a player, or support staff/coach (I’m not sure if they receive medals at the World Games or not)?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@Olympian1010 I did. John Foyne is my "pen name" John Moorhead is my given name. I was the punter on the team, and was forced into place-kicking duties when our kicker couldn't make the trip. Our funding was pulled last second and our 45 man roster shrank to 32. I arrived in Wroclaw on July 20th in time for the opening ceremonies. Some of my teammates didn't arrive until the morning of our first game vs. Germany. We only had one team practice the night before the game. France had a two week long training camp, Germany was in the middle of their season, and Poland had their team together a month before the game. However, not to take anything away from those nations. Each of those countries have tremendous american football players and those guys can ball. The German League is third in the world in my opinion, behind the NFL and CFL. However, if provided at least another practice or two it would have been a different story. This actually all goes back to the USOPC not really recognizing non-Olympic sports. Other nations have their own organizing committees for non-Olympic sports. It also has a lot to do with the IFAF split in 2015 and IFAF recognizing two separate NGB for American Football in the United States. It was a cluster f***. Regardless, it was an amazing experience and really got me into international sports and multi-sport events, which is why I'm here! I could write for days about the World Games, IFAF, USOPC, and NGBs - I have some strong opinions as you may have seen on twitter :) 

Also, coaches and trainers do NOT receive medals at the World Games. Just like the Olympics, only athletes can receive medals. Now, I know with the American Football tournament, 45 medals were made for gold, silver and bronze. France brought 46 players with them, I am not sure why, but I do know that they could only dress 45 for a game. In the semis against Poland one of their players was seriously injured, so their injury replacement dressed vs Germany in the final. Therefore, I believe that one French athlete did not get a medal. On the other hand. We only brought 32. That means somewhere in Wroclaw there are 13 bronze medals floating around :lol: 

https://worldgames2017.sportresult.com/nh/en/-120/Participant/ParticipantInfo/c57c2f19-b5f1-4ca7-91f9-a1631303c6a5

29 minutes ago, JohnFoyne said:

@Olympian1010 I did. John Foyne is my "pen name" John Moorhead is my given name. I was the punter on the team, and was forced into place-kicking duties when our kicker couldn't make the trip. Our funding was pulled last second and our 45 man roster shrank to 32. I arrived in Wroclaw on July 20th in time for the opening ceremonies. Some of my teammates didn't arrive until the morning of our first game vs. Germany. We only had one team practice the night before the game. France had a two week long training camp, Germany was in the middle of their season, and Poland had their team together a month before the game. However, not to take anything away from those nations. Each of those countries have tremendous american football players and those guys can ball. The German League is third in the world in my opinion, behind the NFL and CFL. However, if provided at least another practice or two it would have been a different story. This actually all goes back to the USOPC not really recognizing non-Olympic sports. Other nations have their own organizing committees for non-Olympic sports. It also has a lot to do with the IFAF split in 2015 and IFAF recognizing two separate NGB for American Football in the United States. It was a cluster f***. Regardless, it was an amazing experience and really got me into international sports and multi-sport events, which is why I'm here! I could write for days about the World Games, IFAF, USOPC, and NGBs - I have some strong opinions as you may have seen on twitter :) 

Also, coaches and trainers do NOT receive medals at the World Games. Just like the Olympics, only athletes can receive medals. Now, I know with the American Football tournament, 45 medals were made for gold, silver and bronze. France brought 46 players with them, I am not sure why, but I do know that they could only dress 45 for a game. In the semis against Poland one of their players was seriously injured, so their injury replacement dressed vs Germany in the final. Therefore, I believe that one French athlete did not get a medal. On the other hand. We only brought 32. That means somewhere in Wroclaw there are 13 bronze medals floating around :lol: 

https://worldgames2017.sportresult.com/nh/en/-120/Participant/ParticipantInfo/c57c2f19-b5f1-4ca7-91f9-a1631303c6a5

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. I was going through all my PDFs, and I was a little confused. Yeah the USOPC policy around non-Olympic sports is a killer. It’s a shock that we do do well at the World Games actually. I believe RUS, FRA, ITA all have NOC support (or similar organization like you referred to). It makes sense why they do so well, and have pretty deep programs in some of these sports. The size of the U.S. also makes a lot more sense to me now, so thanks for that info as well. I know it’s not the result y’all wanted, but I’m pretty sure you broke a lot of hearts in that bronze medal game :p. IFAF is a mess. Regarding the medal situation, if the 46th French player played in a game, then he is entitled to a medal. They OC may have only had 45 made, but I bet I received one (or some prize) later (again, if he played). 

How’d you get onto the US National Team for American Football? Was that the plan, or a nice a backup? I enjoy talking with multi-sports games athletes about their experiences, so I have more questions too if you don’t mind.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up. I was going through all my PDFs, and I was a little confused. Yeah the USOPC policy around non-Olympic sports is a killer. It’s a shock that we do do well at the World Games actually. I believe RUS, FRA, ITA all have NOC support (or similar organization like you referred to). It makes sense why they do so well, and have pretty deep programs in some of these sports. The size of the U.S. also makes a lot more sense to me now, so thanks for that info as well. I know it’s not the result y’all wanted, but I’m pretty sure you broke a lot of hearts in that bronze medal game :p. IFAF is a mess. Regarding the medal situation, if the 46th French player played in a game, then he is entitled to a medal. They OC may have only had 45 made, but I bet I received one (or some prize) later (again, if he played). 

How’d you get onto the US National Team for American Football? Was that the plan, or a nice a backup? I enjoy talking with multi-sports games athletes about their experiences, so I have more questions too if you don’t mind.

It is honestly kind of embarrassing to be an American athlete at the World Games. Many of the nations you just mentioned, are kitted out in style. Wearing much of the same gear that their fellow country men and women wore a year earlier in Rio. The USOPC gave us nothing. No money, no kits, no welcome, no formal gathering for American athletes. We all walked into the opening ceremony in different attire, which was to be given to you by your NGB. I can understand from a money perspective as to why the USOPC won't fund non-olympic sports, but even if you look at the Pan Am games, it doesn't seem that they care much. Also, I took some time between my event and the closing ceremony and visited Germany. During my stay, the country was pretty buzzing about the World Games. Newspapers, 24/7 coverage on Eurosport, you get the idea. My friends back here have no idea what the World Games are. Maybe this perspective will change in 2022 with it in Birmingham, but a lot of that has to do with the lack of backing from the USOPC. For an event that was created in the United States, it doesn't get much love here, which is a shame. 

I do feel a little poorly about beating Poland on their home soil, after they gave us such a hard fought game. If anyone deserved a medal it was them. Those guys spent years prepping for this event, and it was the highlight of their career as an American Football player. Many were in tears after the game. Unfortunately, the Polish NGB for American Football went to shit also after the World Games, which is a shame, because Poland is THE place to play if you want to play in Europe.

I made friends with some players from the French team and they got a ton of swag and awards from the FFFA. So I'm sure that 46th player was compensated and they got him a medal. 

As for getting on to the US National American Football Team. It was interesting. You couldn't have signed a pro contract in the last year. So no ex-NFL, CFL, Arena League guys. You had to have graduated/ used up college eligibility. So basically you had to be a free agent within the last two years, or be playing "professionally" in Europe. I graduated college in 2011 and went to the NFL combine for kickers/punters in 2012, nothing came of that. I was then on and off rosters in the Arena League from 2013-2015. I then tried to go to Canada was in camp with the Hamilton Tiger Cats in 2015 and Montreal Allouettes in 2016. I never signed a contract with them. In March of 2017, an old coach told me that the US National Team was recruiting a team of free agents to head to Europe in the summer of 2017. He sent me a link, and I filled out a questionnaire. They got back to me saying I was one of 450 that made it the next round. We had to fill out more questions and send in film. Then on May 1, 2017, I was told I had made it to the 100 man roster. We had to send more film and meet and talk with coaches. We did this for a month until the final 45 man roster was announced on May 31, 2017. It was a long and exhausting process and only got more tiring as we kept getting the work around from the NGB. First we were gonna leave from Newark on July 9th and have training camp in Germany. Then we were supposed to have training camp in Pennsylvania. It became apparent by June that the Federation had no money and we would have to fund our own way to Poland. IFAF was going to be in hot water, and potentially sued by the WLOC if they couldn't produce an American team for the American Football tournament. So we couldn't just pull out. 

I know that's a book, and maybe this isn't the appropriate space to write all of this. But I would love to answer all of your questions! 

35 minutes ago, JohnFoyne said:

It is honestly kind of embarrassing to be an American athlete at the World Games. Many of the nations you just mentioned, are kitted out in style. Wearing much of the same gear that their fellow country men and women wore a year earlier in Rio. The USOPC gave us nothing. No money, no kits, no welcome, no formal gathering for American athletes. We all walked into the opening ceremony in different attire, which was to be given to you by your NGB. I can understand from a money perspective as to why the USOPC won't fund non-olympic sports, but even if you look at the Pan Am games, it doesn't seem that they care much. Also, I took some time between my event and the closing ceremony and visited Germany. During my stay, the country was pretty buzzing about the World Games. Newspapers, 24/7 coverage on Eurosport, you get the idea. My friends back here have no idea what the World Games are. Maybe this perspective will change in 2022 with it in Birmingham, but a lot of that has to do with the lack of backing from the USOPC. For an event that was created in the United States, it doesn't get much love here, which is a shame. 

I do feel a little poorly about beating Poland on their home soil, after they gave us such a hard fought game. If anyone deserved a medal it was them. Those guys spent years prepping for this event, and it was the highlight of their career as an American Football player. Many were in tears after the game. Unfortunately, the Polish NGB for American Football went to shit also after the World Games, which is a shame, because Poland is THE place to play if you want to play in Europe.

I made friends with some players from the French team and they got a ton of swag and awards from the FFFA. So I'm sure that 46th player was compensated and they got him a medal. 

As for getting on to the US National American Football Team. It was interesting. You couldn't have signed a pro contract in the last year. So no ex-NFL, CFL, Arena League guys. You had to have graduated/ used up college eligibility. So basically you had to be a free agent within the last two years, or be playing "professionally" in Europe. I graduated college in 2011 and went to the NFL combine for kickers/punters in 2012, nothing came of that. I was then on and off rosters in the Arena League from 2013-2015. I then tried to go to Canada was in camp with the Hamilton Tiger Cats in 2015 and Montreal Allouettes in 2016. I never signed a contract with them. In March of 2017, an old coach told me that the US National Team was recruiting a team of free agents to head to Europe in the summer of 2017. He sent me a link, and I filled out a questionnaire. They got back to me saying I was one of 450 that made it the next round. We had to fill out more questions and send in film. Then on May 1, 2017, I was told I had made it to the 100 man roster. We had to send more film and meet and talk with coaches. We did this for a month until the final 45 man roster was announced on May 31, 2017. It was a long and exhausting process and only got more tiring as we kept getting the work around from the NGB. First we were gonna leave from Newark on July 9th and have training camp in Germany. Then we were supposed to have training camp in Pennsylvania. It became apparent by June that the Federation had no money and we would have to fund our own way to Poland. IFAF was going to be in hot water, and potentially sued by the WLOC if they couldn't produce an American team for the American Football tournament. So we couldn't just pull out. 

I know that's a book, and maybe this isn't the appropriate space to write all of this. But I would love to answer all of your questions! 

There’s not much else to talk about at the moment, so I don’t think anyone cares. I debating about asking more questions. We usually do a little weekly podcast for Totallympics Media, but we’ve been off lately because of Covid-19. Maybe an interview about your experiences at the World Games would be a good way to bring it back this summer if you’re interested. If you’re down for that, we talk more in Twitter DMs about the details.

Yeah, I’ve noticed we look more like the Hobo Olympic Team than the U.S. National Team when it comes to the World Games. In fairness, at least we had an actual flag bearer (which is more than some other countries could say). It’s unfortunate the U.S. didn’t give you guys the “Olympic experience” though. 

Our sport climbers were barred from the 2018 Summer Youth Olympics because the (then) USOC refused to send athletes in “non-Olympic sports” (which was a lame excuse, since sport climbing is on the program in 2020 (and probably here to stay for a while)). 

I heard that the games were really popular in Central European, but it’s nice to hear confirmation of that. I’m not super hopeful Birmingham 2022 (World Games, not Commonwealth Games) will catch the attention of the public. I will say the LOC is doing their best. They’ve had a great outreach program at local schools to get kids interested, and they’ve toured Alabama to drum up so interest in the local communities. I would imagine they’ll strike some type of broadcast deal with FOX, NBC, or ESPN (though ISB will be the host broadcaster again thankfully (which means the world feed will good as long as you have a vpn)), but I would imagine that the games won’t get a ton of air-time (though I’d love to surprised). The World Games did start right here in the Golden State in 1987, so maybe there’s still some lingering interest (though I doubt it). 

Maybe the tournament would have been better (for the Polish) without the Americans in hindsight :p

The French, Russians, Italians, Germans, Chinese always get kitted-out no matter what games it is. 

That’s a great story. When my dad graduated from U of Montana, he didn’t try out for any teams. He did pretty much go right into coaching American Football, Athletics, and Wrestling though. He coached quite a few high school state champions in Athletics and Wrestling in Oregon. American Football was always his favorite child though. He got invited to coach in Finland, and was ready to go, but that fell through at the last minute. It’s a good thing too, since he met my mother right after that :d