website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

Alright, well I’ve found a few options for my collection.

Internet Archive seems like a risky move @Griff88. You seem to know a bit about that organization, so maybe you could give me some insight into what it does, and how to use it (for archiving information, not pulling PDFs off (I already figured that out a year ago)). 

LA84 Library seems like the best place low key, but I haven’t heard back from them.

I’m not big on unnecessary work, so I think Wikipedia is out.

There’s some other avenues I’m exploring, but that’s about it :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Alright, well I’ve found a few options for my collection.

Internet Archive seems like a risky move @Griff88. You seem to know a bit about that organization, so maybe you could give me some insight into what it does, and how to use it (for archiving information, not pulling PDFs off (I already figured that out a year ago)). 

LA84 Library seems like the best place low key, but I haven’t heard back from them.

I’m not big on unnecessary work, so I think Wikipedia is out.

There’s some other avenues I’m exploring, but that’s about it :(

Well.. Every of them got their own risk.

Internet Archive might check your files for copyright, but NOCs or Continental Bodies perhaps don't really care.

In Wikipedia with their notability rule, may cause your hours of work vanished because some user think it is not important.

And.. maybe LA84 does not store such data?

1 hour ago, Griff88 said:

Well.. Every of them got their own risk.

Internet Archive might check your files for copyright, but NOCs or Continental Bodies perhaps don't really care.

In Wikipedia with their notability rule, may cause your hours of work vanished because some user think it is not important.

And.. maybe LA84 does not store such data?

I’ve found it extremely difficult to upload documents to Internet Archive. It seems like any file over 5MB is virtually impossible to upload (at least currently).

Yeah, I don’t want to deal with Wikipedia because the bureaucracy of what information is classified as “important.”

I have no damn clue about LA84.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I swear this only gets harder. Many of files seem to be too big for Internet Archive. I’ve spent the last two days downloading and cataloging more files than I can count, and I still have nowhere for them to go! I think the best thing to do would be to actually try and set up my own digital library or online space for people to view my work (and add it, to use it reference, etc.). I don’t have the money or skill to do that, and now I’m left wishing I hadn’t done any of this in the first place. I feel like preserving the history of international multi-sports games is somewhat important, and that there’s no one doing it (including the federations and organizations themselves) is quite frustrating honestly. Maybe I’m just an idiot, I don’t know. I’m just frustrated and ready to give up on it at this point.

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I swear this only gets harder. Many of files seem to be too big for Internet Archive. I’ve spent the last two days downloading and cataloging more files than I can count, and I still have nowhere for them to go! I think the best thing to do would be to actually try and set up my own digital library or online space for people to view my work (and add it, to use it reference, etc.). I don’t have the money or skill to do that, and now I’m left wishing I hadn’t done any of this in the first place. I feel like preserving the history of international multi-sports games is somewhat important, and that there’s no one doing it (including the federations and organizations themselves) is quite frustrating honestly. Maybe I’m just an idiot, I don’t know. I’m just frustrated and ready to give up on it at this point.

Well you've got the info and old results and stuff aren't going anywhere. If you feel like giving up or having no clue what to do with it, just put it aside for a while. There's no specific rush as in "Pacific Games 2009 results have to be up by the end of the month!", so letting it go for a bit and maybe getting a better idea and a fresh start later can be helpful. 

It's sort of what I do with genealogy: throughout the past 15 years or so I've mostly not been too interested in it, but every now and then - sometimes there's years between it - I get some fresh energy to spend some time on it and continue what I've done before. The files are there, the info is there, it is sort of timeless. Sometimes after a week or so I'm 'done' again and put it aside for a while.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

You say about LA84 - if they haven't answered yet and they won't until next week - write them once more exactly the same - copy-paste your previous e-mail. Just send it on the proper time - in the middle of the week in the night (4 AM let's say) - it should be the first mail they'd see and all cases from weekend already done by them. Then they shouldn't miss it so easily and get interested in that. At least that's what I usually do while writing to big organizations, IFs or IOC.

And I agree with heywoodu - you don't need to hurry. As you see - LA84 is a foundation being a heritage (or I think legacy is now the term used in the Olympic Movement) of the previous games in LA. The legacy of Atlanta 1996 is Around the Rings. I think there is something coming in the following years in the USA - World Games and LA2028 Games. By then you need to get contacts to people, step by step. Now you're more a less at the moment when I was beginning my career. I'll tell you the rest of my story in private to explain, what I mean.

Another option is find a university special collections library that focuses on the Olympics.  You could also simply donate it to the college you graduated from with the requirement that it becomes searchable.  You could also try and contact NASSH.org. They could provide some contacts as well.  Possibly an article out of it as well.  That organization has the largest group of historians of sports in North America.

6 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Another option is find a university special collections library that focuses on the Olympics.  You could also simply donate it to the college you graduated from with the requirement that it becomes searchable.  You could also try and contact NASSH.org. They could provide some contacts as well.  Possibly an article out of it as well.  That organization has the largest group of historians of sports in North America.

The problem is that my work focus on everything but the Olympics, so a lot of these organizations aren’t interested. Plus the majority of it is quite modern, so they don’t see the purpose of preserving it. There seems to be a wired gap in the international sports movement when it comes to multi-sports games. Some NOCs and IFs have done a good job documenting some of the games, but there’s almost nothing available for others still. It’s a weird issue honestly. 

@heywoodu and @Vojthas gave me some good advice earlier today too. I just need to slow down, continue my work, and keep networking. I need to continue my discussion with LA84 (even if I’m 90% it will be fruitless) and I should probably reach out to the Olympic Library. I really like the suggestions you’ve made as well. I don’t think the NASSH can do much for me, but there’s some interesting links on their website that I can investigate further. My goal wasn’t ever to become a amateur sports historian/archivist/whatever, but I seem to slowly be becoming one accidentally. The biggest plus is that my reporting is highly informed, and I love a lot of material to call back on. 

By the way, if anyone happens to have some old spectator guides, ticketing guides, broadcast schedules, qualification systems, etc. sitting around on your computer (or other devices), I’d gladly accept a copy. I’m nearly done with international multi-sport games results from 2009-present (at least based off what I can find, and there’s not many places results could be hiding from me at this point), and so I’m focusing on building up other parts of archive/collection now.

Apparently Los Angeles has submitted a bid for the 2021 World Beach Games. It’s a little confusing though because apparently the bid has actually been submitted by our state ultimate frisbee federation. I haven’t really heard of anyone else been interested in the games as of yet. Hong Kong originally were, but hosting an event there now seems like an accident waiting to happen. California isn’t a great choice because San Diego has to go and royally fuck it up last time (I still haven’t forgiven them for that). I mean Santa Monica/Venice Beach/Manhattan Beach/Newport Beach are some of the most famous beaches, so they’d definitely be up to the challenge, but I’m not sure what the bid looks like. I’d be awesome to be able to go the Olympics and World Beach Games in the same year though. I’d be especially nice if I could land a media credential for the World Beach Games.