web
analytics
bestmen

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, rajiv said:

As for shooting I'd say both England and Australia are better at this sport at Olympic level ( both regularly win gold at Olympics . India have only ever won one gold medal )

If you don't follow shooting sport pls refrain from commenting . India is undoubtedly the best nation in shooting by leaps and bounds currently. If shooting was scrapped 2 decades ago it wouldn't have mattered much but now it's just manipulating to strengthen England's position. 

7 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

Lol!! 

The size of the town and venue isnt a problem. If they wanted to they could have hosted it. 

Secondly when you tell something make sure it's true. Birmingham never offered to host rifle and pistol events. They only wanted to host the 300m rifle bore,  the queen's prize event,  the most useless shooting event held outdoors  . ISSF said no because it wanted rifle, pistol and shotgun not that nonsense 300m rifle. 

Sorry I had my events mixed up, I was partially right though. The latter has traditional events on the Commonwealth program (the queen's prize).  At least there was a compromise offered by Birmingham 2022. The size of the town does matter in terms of these events. Where will the athletes stay? Etc. It just adds unnecessary costs for a sport that does not add that much revenue to the games. I am sure if the venue was in the Greater Birmingham area, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Edited by intoronto

Just now, Fly_like_a_don said:

If you don't follow shooting sport pls refrain from commenting . India is undoubtedly the best nation in shooting by leaps and bounds currently. If shooting was scrapped 2 decades ago it wouldn't have mattered much but now it's just manipulating to strengthen England's position. 

"When you tell something, make sure its true"

25 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

That sounds way too much like conspiracy talk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

55 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That sounds way too much like conspiracy talk.

Just saying how the world outside India sees these things . India is big on shooting as a sport but has an inferior record to UK and Australia at the Olympics . I have spent a lot of time in the UK and Australia and have never seen shooting mentioned in any general sports coverage . In fact shooting is only mentioned in a negative way as in shooting licenses should be made harder to get .

For the last 5 Olympics :

Australia :3G 1S 3B  7T

GB           2G 1S 2B  5T

India         1G 2S 1B 4T

And the further you go back in time the further behind the other two India is 

OK I haven't checked the Commonwealth Games medal tallies but I'd measure performance by Olympic results 

Just now, rajiv said:

Just saying how the world outside India sees these things . India is big on shooting as a sport but has an inferior record to UK and Australia at the Olympics . I have spent a lot of time in the UK and Australia and have never seen shooting mentioned in any general sports coverage . In fact shooting is only mentioned in a negative way as in shooting licenses should be made harder to get .

For the last 5 Olympics :

Australia :3G 1S 3B  7T

GB           2G 1S 2B  5T

India         1G 2S 1B 4T

And the further you go back in time the further behind the other two India is 

OK I haven't checked the Commonwealth Games medal tallies but I'd measure performance by Olympic results 

I repeat past is past. Put in the results from 2019 world cups and compare the other countries. So I don't care about the Olympic tally about the countries.Lets see after Tokyo!! 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

"When you tell something, make sure its true"

I didn't find anything false. Correct me if I have one:p

Yeah, if England wanted to strengthen their position they would have gotten rid of swimming (I know they can't). In the end their only competitor (especially as hosts) is Australia.

Shooting is an optional sport and the host wanted to save money. I do hope this experience will get the shooting federations to push it to be a core sport. Especially since both triathlon and wrestling are core sports and have less depth than shooting.

10 minutes ago, rajiv said:

Just saying how the world outside India sees these things .

But going all "They kicked out shooting to mess with India!" sounds like a big overestimation of how important those other nations find India.

Like, if they kick speed skating out of the Olympics I'm really not going to presume the Netherlands is so important they do it to mess with us :p 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, if England wanted to strengthen their position they would have gotten rid of swimming (I know they can't). In the end their only competitor (especially as hosts) is Australia.

Shooting is an optional sport and the host wanted to save money. I do hope this experience will get the shooting federations to push it to be a core sport. Especially since both triathlon and wrestling are core sports and have less depth than shooting.

Well that's what. It is not possible to remove swimming. As shooting was optional and they don't do well on it, wasn't a difficult decision after all. :lol: