website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

All fun and well, but my point about Senegal and Mali (among others) was entirely based on atmosphere, not on feasability :p I sure haven't seen every event held there, but every time I did (from world youth championships in athletics in Kenya to African U18 basketball in Mali) the stands were totally filled with jumping and dancing and singing people...while in other, possibly richer countries, the atmosphere in events that I've seen was more...boring.

If I have to choose one, I'd prefer the infrastructure over the atmosphere.

For example, I'm quite ashamed with Indonesian Badminton Association official sometimes criticizes the organizers of international badminton tournaments in other parts of the world because they don't have the same hospitality or atmosphere like what it is in Indonesia. While they on the other hand provide a full-house venue with awful lighting, leaking roof that delayed the matches, and disgusting toilets for officials/athletes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

If I have to choose one, I'd prefer the infrastructure over the atmosphere.

For example, I'm quite ashamed with Indonesian Badminton Association official sometimes criticizes the organizers of international badminton tournaments in other parts of the world because they don't have the same hospitality or atmosphere like what it is in Indonesia. While they on the other hand provide a full-house venue with awful lighting, leaking roof that delayed the matches, and disgusting toilets for officials/athletes.

On the other hand, who cares about a tournament where you've got perfect housing and stuff but the only people watching are one or two friends who happened to be there and a passerby walking her dog? 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

On the other hand, who cares about a tournament where you've got perfect housing and stuff but the only people watching are one or two friends who happened to be there and a passerby walking her dog? 

That's why Turkmenistan exist, both venues and atmosphere are readily prepared by Berdy :evil:

• 5 weeks later...

So after a bit of digging, it seems like the Pan Arab Games May be back from the dead. Most people thought the games were done after the 2015 fiascos (something 3-5 nations withdrew from hosting the games as the impacts of the Arab Spring and ISIS were felt across the region). However, it seems there’s still work going on behind the scenes. Rumor has it, because I’ve seen nothing official to confirm it, that :IRQ has been chosen as the host for the 2021 edition of the games. There’s no website, that I could find, or any sort of notice from the organizing committee as to if the games will actually take place. It would be fun to see these historic games continue, especially since they’re one of the few I’ve never been able to watch.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Dolby said:

Followed by 2032 Olympics bid?

If there’s no good options. 2032 is Australia’s to lose though, anyone “in the know” knows this

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 3 weeks later...

From Inside The Games

Mitchell says ANOC has been "quite pleased" by the interest shown by other countries in hosting the second ANOC World Beach Games due to take place in 2021. Make of that what you will. We heard tell there were a number of interested observers here, including two prospective Mediterranean nations.