website statistics

Other Multi-Sport Games Discussion Thread

Totallympics

8 hours ago, Sindo said:

How many multi-sport games there will be in 2020 apart from the Olympic Games ? Can you please check this list and tell me which events are missing ? Same question for @intoronto and @Griff88 and anyone else who would like to help. Thank you!

9 January 22 January Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020
10 January 19 January Winter World Masters Games 2020
23 January 26 January Winter X Games Aspen 2020
23 January 2 February Reykjavik International Games 2020
20 February 28 February IWAS World Games 2020
20 March 28 March ASEAN Para Games 2020
12 July 25 July European Universities Games 2020
24 July 9 August Summer Olympic Games 2020
15 August 23 August CISM Cadet Military World Games 2020
25 August 6 September Summer Paralympic Games 2020
4 September 13 September Pan American Masters Games 2020
7 September 14 September ISF Beach Games 2020
17 October 24 October ISF Gymnasiade 2020
18 November 22 November ISF World Cool Games 2020
28 November 5 December Asian Beach Games 2020
3 December 7 December ISF E-Sport Games 2020

Arctic Winter Games (15-21 Mar), Yukon

Bolivarian Youth Games (17-30 Oct), Sucre, Bolivia

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The only games that “matter” this year are: Winter YOG, Olympics, Paralympics, Gymnasiade, and Asian Beach Games (most storied and original beach games).

Only two events with gymnastics. I understand that the focus is the Olympic Games, but still...

In my dream world, multi-sport events would be staged like this:

1) South American Games, Mediterranean Games, Pacific Mini Games, CAC Games, Winter Youth Olympics 
2) Universiade, SEA Games, World Games, Commonwealth Games, Winter Olympics, Winter Paralympics
3) European Games, Pan-American Games, Asian Games, African Games, Pacific Games, Summer Youth Olympics
4) Universiade, SEA Games, Summer Olympics, Summer Paralympics, Military World Games

Edited by thiago_simoes

2 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

Only two events with gymnastics. I understand that the focus is the Olympic Games, but still...

In my dream world, multi-sport events would be staged like this:

1) South American Games, Mediterranean Games, Pacific Mini Games, CAC Games, Winter Youth Olympics 
2) Universiade, SEA Games, World Games, Commonwealth Games, Winter Olympics, Winter Paralympics
3) European Games, Pan-American Games, Asian Games, African Games, Pacific Games, Summer Youth Olympics
4) Universiade, SEA Games, Summer Olympics, Summer Paralympics, Military World Games

That would be an awesome schedule. Unfortunately, it’s just feasible or economically wise to host a multi-sports games in an (Summer) Olympic year. The Asian Beach Games get away with it because the majority of those athletes won’t compete at the Olympics.

On the bright side, 2021 is looking like an epic year for multi-sports games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PHI2019 said:

The ASEAN Para Games have been postponed for a second time due to the Corona Virus outbreak. I have a feeling it's not going to proceed as planned this year.

ASEAN Para Games postponed for second time due to coronavirus

It might be for the best to postpone them, since some of the countries have the Corona virus in the top of their minds and the others just trying to avoid it...

11 minutes ago, Dnl said:

It might be for the best to postpone them, since some of the countries have the Corona virus in the top of their minds and the others just trying to avoid it...

It’d just be better to cancel them at this point. The athletes need to focus on Tokyo 2020 now, and Philippines is quite frankly unprepared to host the games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’d just be better to cancel them at this point. The athletes need to focus on Tokyo 2020 now, and Philippines is quite frankly unprepared to host the games.

It’s the best option I this current situation I believe that the athletes will prefer to be healthy and ready for Tokyo then the obvious other option..

Central Asian Games may be back in 2021. Not only would it add another regional Asian Games to schedule, but it would make an already crowded 2021 even more crowded.

I just wanted to come on here and say how proud I am of Lima 2019. Six months after the games ended, and the venues are still operational and being used for both local and international events. Lima 2019 is also using their website as a “hub” for local and Peruvian sport. It’s really great to see a legacy’s for the infrastructure built for the Pan American Games, especially after all the construction and funding woes. I really hope they can keep this up, because it really does appear to have a huge impact on the community there. Plus, it makes the 2019 Pan American Games a further success, and I don’t know who would want to complain about that. :d