web
analytics
Jump to content

Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account


Sign in to follow this  
phelps

Skateboarding WS Street World Championships 2018

Recommended Posts

I've always been of the opinion that if you are good enough then you are old enough.

 

Of course, young athletes do have issues when it comes to traveling. For example, many nations have child trafficking laws which prevent them from traveling without their parents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Nope, no age limit in skateboarding 

Didnt know that. :yes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Nope, no age limit in skateboarding 

 

but it would be highly recommandable to have some reasonable age limits...

 

men are men and children are children...it's just unacceptable to have them competing in the same events...

 

imho, no sub-16 people should even think to go to the Olympic Games...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I've always been of the opinion that if you are good enough then you are old enough.

 

Of course, young athletes do have issues when it comes to traveling. For example, many nations have child trafficking laws which prevent them from traveling without their parents.

Thats one of the possible obstacles.

I am more conservative. Its akward to see her competing against some 30 years old opponent. Sport isnt just physical fitness,she must be mentally competent to cope with,say,loss or other factors that dont suit her fragile age. Mental development is something that cant be 'jumped'. I am not so sure that competing against so much older skateboarders will do her any good in case of loss or anything bad but ok,her parents,federation and IOC should know better...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh...p.s. not to mention the fact that skateboarding is an "artistic activity" and not a sport...therefore it shouldn't even be part of the Olympic program...:whistle::pope::p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. And we will have a breakdancing. In few years OG will resemble those World Fairs from first few editions. Little sport and plenty other activities. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Thats one of the possible obstacles.

I am more conservative. Its akward to see her competing against some 30 years old opponent. Sport isnt just physical fitness,she must be mentally competent to cope with,say,loss or other factors that dont suit her fragile age. Mental development is something that cant be 'jumped'. I am not so sure that competing against so much older skateboarders will do her any good in case of loss or anything bad but ok,her parents,federation and IOC should know better...

 

They had to qualify in order to compete at the Olympics so there was obviously some stress involved just to be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

 

They had to qualify in order to compete at the Olympics so there was obviously some stress involved just to be there.

True but qualifications are in many sports easier part. Of course that stress is present but Games are some other dimension. I understand you completely but she is just, in my opinion, too young. Like phelps said,anyone bellow 16 shouldnt compete. They have YOF,cadet,junior competitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...