website statistics

Skateboarding WS Street World Championships 2018

phelps

I've always been of the opinion that if you are good enough then you are old enough.

Of course, young athletes do have issues when it comes to traveling. For example, many nations have child trafficking laws which prevent them from traveling without their parents.

28 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Nope, no age limit in skateboarding 

but it would be highly recommandable to have some reasonable age limits...

men are men and children are children...it's just unacceptable to have them competing in the same events...

imho, no sub-16 people should even think to go to the Olympic Games...

28 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I've always been of the opinion that if you are good enough then you are old enough.

Of course, young athletes do have issues when it comes to traveling. For example, many nations have child trafficking laws which prevent them from traveling without their parents.

Thats one of the possible obstacles.

I am more conservative. Its akward to see her competing against some 30 years old opponent. Sport isnt just physical fitness,she must be mentally competent to cope with,say,loss or other factors that dont suit her fragile age. Mental development is something that cant be 'jumped'. I am not so sure that competing against so much older skateboarders will do her any good in case of loss or anything bad but ok,her parents,federation and IOC should know better...

8 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Thats one of the possible obstacles.

I am more conservative. Its akward to see her competing against some 30 years old opponent. Sport isnt just physical fitness,she must be mentally competent to cope with,say,loss or other factors that dont suit her fragile age. Mental development is something that cant be 'jumped'. I am not so sure that competing against so much older skateboarders will do her any good in case of loss or anything bad but ok,her parents,federation and IOC should know better...

They had to qualify in order to compete at the Olympics so there was obviously some stress involved just to be there.

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

They had to qualify in order to compete at the Olympics so there was obviously some stress involved just to be there.

True but qualifications are in many sports easier part. Of course that stress is present but Games are some other dimension. I understand you completely but she is just, in my opinion, too young. Like phelps said,anyone bellow 16 shouldnt compete. They have YOF,cadet,junior competitions.