website statistics

Men's Baseball CEB European Championship 2019

phelps

meh...I don't think Italy have been so impressive...

sure, they won 4 games out of 4, but their offense is at least suspect...they were almost shootout by Croatia (not the USA or Japan) and they scored most of their runs only in the final innings against weak relief pitchers...

the positive side ionstead is pitching...I expected our pitchers to make disasaters and instead until now they've been quite good...hopefully they can repeat themselves also when it really matters...

however I think that most of the top teams are still hiding themselves, as they have to play the OQT just after the end of the Europeans (here they only need to make the top 5)...

NED won also the game vs GBR (10-2 the final score), stopped because of darkness on day #1...

meanwhile CZE are thrashing GER out (9-2 in the top of the 6th)...

if we take for granted the Czech win, the final outcome of the groups in stage #1 is going to look like this:

Group A

:NED Netherlands, 4W - 1L

:ISR Israel, 4W - 1L

:CZE Czech Republic, 3W - 2L

:GER Germany, 2W - 3L

:GBR Great Britain, 2W - 3L

:SWE Sweden, 0W - 5L

Group B

:ITA Italy, 5W - 0L

:ESP Spain, 4W - 1L

:FRA France, 3W - 2L

:BEL Belgium, 2W - 3L

:AUT Austria, 1W - 4L

:CRO Croatia, 0W - 5L

therefore the Quarterfinals should feature the following pairings...

:NED NED vs :BEL BEL and :ESP ESP vs :CZE CZE in the top half of the draw

:ITA ITA vs :GER GER and :ISR ISR vs :FRA FRA in the bottom half of the draw

as a consequence, most likely NED vs ESP and ITA vs ISR are oing to be the semifinals...

on the other hand, should GER comeback and win tonight's game, they would end up 3rd in the group (and face Spain in the QTRs) meanwhile the Czechs would be 5th in the group and eliminated from the medal round...and GBR would be 4th in the group and face ITA in the QTRs...

however, this wouldn't have much impact on the possible semifinals, as I think they're quite locked in any case...

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Croatian results are as random as WTA. :hairpull:

Close losses to :ITA:ESP were followed by 1:12 vs :AUT,and 0:23 (!!) vs :FRA.

But today they defeated :SWE 17:2. I can't even.

Perhaps we wasted our best pitchers on unwinnable matches... :facepalm:

sure...they wanted to avoid some kind of humiliating score in those 2 matches and so they lost their opportunity to win the games they could (and should) have won...

they lacked in self-believe, I guess...

however, Baseball is so cruel...even when a very good team you're never sure to win, but at the same time it's mathematical that with a bad pitcher you're never gonna win a match...

finding the right balance in building the whole roster is always very complicated (unless you have so much talent available as in the USA or Japan or the few other true Baseball Nations in the world)...

I just can't belive what those bunch of chokers named "Italy" are doing...:facepalm::wall:

they are unbelivably down 5-2 (and they were 0-5 until a few minutes ago) against GER after 5 innings...:yikes::hairpull:

Maestri just unwatchable on the mound and the bats more than cold...frozen!

what a shame! :red:

I should stop wasting my time with them and watch Russian hockey and MLB/NPB Baseball...:pope:

meanwhile, the first 3 quarterfinals are already over:

:ISR Israel 8-2 :FRA France

:NED Netherlands 17-2 :BEL Belgium (after 5 innings)

:ESP Spain 5-4 :CZE Czech Republic (after 10 innings)

therefore, the first semifinal pairing is :NED NED vs :ESP ESP, meanwhile :ISR ISR are waiting for the winner of the :GER GER vs :ITA ITA match-up...