website statistics

Arafura Games 2019

Totallympics

• 3 months later...

There is varying international participation. Weightlifting seems to have a few competitors of note. Squash may also have a few elite competitors. The big draw will be muaythai, though, since these games are the first international qualification event for the 2021 World Games. 

So far I have found livestreams for weightlifting and sailing. I will make a playlist available soon.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There is varying international participation. Weightlifting seems to have a few competitors of note. Squash may also have a few elite competitors. The big draw will be muaythai, though, since these games are the first international qualification event for the 2021 World Games. 

So far I have found livestreams for weightlifting and sailing. I will make a playlist available soon.

It's a bronze level event for weightlifting meaning athletes can obtain points for Olympic qualification. Also there's no continental championship for Oceania during the first period and since most nations skipped the World Championships this was likely going to be the event most of those nations would attend, assuming they wanted to compete in weightlifting at the Olympics.

18 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

It's a bronze level event for weightlifting meaning athletes can obtain points for Olympic qualification. Also there's no continental championship for Oceania during the first period and since most nations skipped the World Championships this was likely going to be the event most of those nations would attend, assuming they wanted to compete in weightlifting at the Olympics.

Ah, ok I see. So the “big” events here will be the weightlifting, muaythai, maybe 3x3 it’s through FIBA so maybe there’s some ranking points on the line; There might be some minor talent on show in Squash, Sailing, or any of the other racquet sports.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@KingOfTheRhinos Are any of the Australian sports channels broadcasting these games? I didn’t see any when I looked, but I always enjoy watching any international multi-sport events.

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@KingOfTheRhinos Are any of the Australian sports channels broadcasting these games? I didn’t see any when I looked, but I always enjoy watching any international multi-sport events.

No idea. It's not on free to air TV at least 

It looks like Day 2 will 3x3 Basketball and Weightlifting livestreamed for those interested. 

Here’s the streams as promised:

2019 Arafura Games Playlist

Edited by Olympian1010