website statistics

Sports Television Broadcasting Rights

De_Gambassi

1 hour ago, Col_Frost said:

That would be hard or maybe I should write expensive (for Polish conditions). Canal+ and Polsat are two different sat TV's, so if you want have programs of competition (for example you have sat from Polsat, but want also C+) you must pay extra. For six Polsat channels with Champions League you must also pay extra. Eleven is always separate package - you must pay extra. Even for Eurosport and Sportklub you must buy sport package because it's never in standard. Etc,etc, etc ;) 

If you pick only sport packages (for example you want only basic and no music, no film, no other entertainment, no Discovery-like science channels) it might be more a less the same price as some good standard - I'd say about 40 € ?

8 godzin temu, Vojthas napisał:

If you pick only sport packages (for example you want only basic and no music, no film, no other entertainment, no Discovery-like science channels) it might be more a less the same price as some good standard - I'd say about 40 € ?

I guess it can be true. Maybe 40-50. Of course if someone doesn't need to watch a movie from time to time ;) 

Eurosport in Croatia is available to only 10% or so percent of people, because all the big providers have rejected contracts with Discovery group. It's terrible. I do have a provider from those 10%, but the box is often taken with brother when he's out of town for work, like from yesterday to friday after next. Even though I loathe Eurosport's tv breaks (with no actual ads!), still a huge loss, especially to winter sports lover like me.

Luckily, while brother is away, I have access to his TV, which has a satellite receiver, and some nice programs like HD ARD/ZDF, german ES1 and italian RAI Sport. Can't understand anything, but doesn't matter. ;)

1 ora fa, Kirkpatrick ha scritto:

Eurosport in Croatia is available to only 10% or so percent of people, because all the big providers have rejected contracts with Discovery group. It's terrible. I do have a provider from those 10%, but the box is often taken with brother when he's out of town for work, like from yesterday to friday after next. Even though I loathe Eurosport's tv breaks (with no actual ads!), still a huge loss, especially to winter sports lover like me.

Luckily, while brother is away, I have access to his TV, which has a satellite receiver, and some nice programs like HD ARD/ZDF, german ES1 and italian RAI Sport. Can't understand anything, but doesn't matter. ;)

maybe you could try the Eurosport Player (if you have a decent internet broadband connection)...;)

it's very cheap (at least, here in Italy for our standard...until a few days ago we had it on offer for just 25€ for a full year, but even the standard 50€/year is absolutely worth the expense) and gives you full access to the 2 linear channels and many other contents...:cheer:

p.s. for those who watch the Italian raisport channel...if you only could understand a word in Italian language, you would get away from it as quick as possible (98% of the Italian sport fans just can't stand any "journalist" from our public tv, most of which just don't understand anything about any sport they talk of -and, strange to be said, those who follow football are among the worst in the world)...:whistle::rofl::facepalm:

Edited by phelps

Eurosport Player is a wish, but as I dislike watching pretty much anything on PC, it's on hold currently. I do plan on buying myself an Android TV box for main (dumb) TV, which, if I understand it correctly, can stream ES player content, along with many other, like Netflix, Youtube, etc. Plus can play local content from PC over wifi, and plenty of other things.

I think I overstated that "huge loss" thing, as I can still find the content I'm interested in, and in worst case, there are torrents (which usually are in much better quality than anything I see live). More of a convenience thing, as on that box I had two ES channels in english, and the box needed only antenna, so could move it easily and fast from TV to TV.

6 minuti fa, Kirkpatrick ha scritto:

Eurosport Player is a wish, but as I dislike watching pretty much anything on PC, it's on hold currently. I do plan on buying myself an Android TV box for main (dumb) TV, which, if I understand it correctly, can stream ES player content, along with many other, like Netflix, Youtube, etc. Plus can play local content from PC over wifi, and plenty of other things.

I think I overstated that "huge loss" thing, as I can still find the content I'm interested in, and in worst case, there are torrents (which usually are in much better quality than anything I see live). More of a convenience thing, as on that box I had two ES channels in english, and the box needed only antenna, so could move it easily and fast from TV to TV.

yeah, I have an Apple TV (and a sony android tv)...and thanks to them I have a variety of apps of almost any tv and sport service in the world (actually, I also have a bunch of subscriptions -american sports like NHL, MLB and NFL, amazon prime and a few others, which cost me a lot at the end of the year, but I can't live without them anymore, I fear :facepalm:)...

I also have a motorized satellite dish (with a couple of subscriptions also for that, sky Italia, the Swiss public TV  and the Czech/Slovak TVs from the skylink package)...

so, my sport addiction is well supported by all that stuff...:lol:

Eurosport Player is very cheap (relatively speaking), but obsessively transmits the same things, as Discovery, at least in Italy, hasn't got very much broadcasting rights :facepalm:However, they often have great deals (I bought 1 year of access for 15 euro during Black Friday and last year 25 euro, in the period of the Black Friday too). However, I must admit that when Eurosport decide to coverage something, it is almost perfect and actually covers everything, like the Pyeongchang Olympics. Plus, in the Player, you can watch the races without commentaries but without commercials :champion:

However, the biggest deal is learning to search for sports on YouTube :D 

On 12/01/2019 at 12:18, dcro said:

To be honest, sport on television (national television in particular) is a very outdated concept. I can't even remember the last time I watched sports on an actual television...

I'm surprised at that. No matter what, I always prefer watching something (live) on TV compared to a computer or something, because at least for me it's just way more comfortable to sit back on the sofa and relax while watching TV (plus it leaves my laptop and phone free to write on forums, read up on other stuff etc). The only time I prefer watching on a computer is when I'm watching on-demand, so I can skip through parts where not much happens more easily than on TV.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Let's see for the Netherlands.

NOS (public broadcaster)

Standard stuff like highlights of the Dutch football competition, live speed skating when it's world/European championships or a World Cup in Heerenveen sometimes, plus national championships usually. Quite a lot of cycling live, like the main classics and the Tour de France (not the Giro d'Italia, that's exclusively for Eurosport, or Vuelta, because they don't care). World and European championships of sports like field hockey, volleyball or water polo are usually shown (at least the Dutch matches), just like all matches in the World Cup and European championships in football. They're also showing more and more on their website when it's not on TV, like all speed skating World Cups.

RTL7 (commercial)
Generally speaking it's a regular commercial TV channel, as for sports their main things are darts (PDC, not BDO), which they show a lot, and Europa League football. Also in weekends they have some programs about local car racing sometimes. Every now and then they show live boxing, usually when it's between 20.00 and midnight, stuff like the Joshua fights, but not the fights in the USA.

Veronica (commercial)
Another regular commercial TV channel, as for sports they show Champions League football and since a while they have the rights for Glory kickboxing, which sucks since they only show the events live when it's at a 'good' time (and only the main fights, the rest they quickly show in around 20 seconds per fight), whereas the previous right-holders showed everything live no matter the time of day. I believe they got UFC rights as well, which is fine for me since I watch that much later and online.

Ziggo Sport (paid sports channel)

Shows quite a lot on their 7-8 channels. They have dedicated tennis, golf and racing channels, with most PGA and European Tour events and a boatload of motorsports (F1, NASCAR, IndyCar, DTM, Euro F3, GP2, GP3, WRX and sometimes even German F4, all live), plus they've got rights for Champions League football, all the women's (national team) handball, a few NBA matches per week, ski- and snowboard cross, cyclocross Superprestige and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot. Also football, but I'm not sure which competition is here and which is at their rival (like Bundesliga, Serie A, Premier League etc). They've also got a few cycling races, like the recent Tour Down Under.

Fox Sports (paid sports channel divided into Dutch competition football and an international subscription)

A LOT of live football, from the Dutch competition to Europa League and the main European competitions, but also South American football, African CL, a ton of national team football. Weekly live NFL games (all Thursday + Monday night games, three Sunday night games and all postseason games), all UFC live (although I'm not sure they still have it now that Veronica bought the rights), a few live NHL games, live MLB and basically all postseason live. Some live amateur football on weekends and probably some more stuff.

Eurosport

The main channel for sports, promoting itself as 'The home of cycling' and 'The home of the Olympics', since they've got exclusive rights for a lot of it. This is where most winter sports are shown (especially if you combine it with the Eurosport Player you can watch basically anything, live and on-demand, except the IBSF sports), HUGE amounts of cycling are shown there, still too much football as well. They also have all exclusive rights for MotoGP/2/3 (all trainings, qualifyings and races) plus WTCR and things like Le Mans. Sometimes you can catch some minor sports on here, so if that's all you're looking for, Eurosport is your best guess. Still, since they got more and more big rights, they are showing less and less of the minor sports (except for winter sports, that stays). 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 years later...

Damn, some Swedish company (Nordic Entertainment Group) has come into the Dutch TV rights market and grabbed the rights for darts, F1 and the Bundesliga starting next year...which apparently will be shown on Viaplay or something. Doesn't sound like that will be a regular thing watchable on TV without messing around with streaming from another device to the TV :( 

Even worse, somehow it seems those idiots are going to ask for €45....per month. Good luck getting a foothold in the market, especially considering F1TV will remain available and is probably much cheaper (and if Viaplay doesn't offer regular TV broadcasts, but only streaming nonsense, F1TV offers exactly the same).