website statistics

Sports Television Broadcasting Rights

De_Gambassi

10 ore fa, Gianlu33 ha scritto:

I can't agree with you. I don't like RAI (you know it very good :p) but sometimes they show some minor sport.

We have a tennis federation channel, Supertennis, with ATP and WTA tournament.

We have Sportitalia that have a lot of stupid events and programs but they have something of interessing too, like some handball match (and they show Italy too).

Eurosport and Dazn show rugby, snooker, ice hockey and go on... It isn't a very bad situation.

the problem is that all those events are not shown following a logical masterplan...

most times they have random time slots or they choose not the best game available on that given day or, even worse, they just "forget" to follow important parts of an event...

not to be mentioned, they often relegate all these sports to tape delay broadcasts in the middle of the night or even days after they're over...:facepalm::wall:

23 hours ago, dcro said:

To be honest, sport on television (national television in particular) is a very outdated concept. I can't even remember the last time I watched sports on an actual television...

For you, maybe, but for a lot of people it's still the main way to watch it.

2 hours ago, phelps said:

and in fact there are a lot of subscribers from Italy, France and Spain...:lol:

but unfortunately now it's becoming more and more difficult to watch them in most part of Europe since they launched their fuc*in' satellite Es'hail (or Su'hil or whatever you want to name it)...

when all channels were on Hotbird first and Nilesat then, it was an everyday party...now I'd need a 2.5/3m dish (and probably it wouldn't work as well, as their beam is really small and officially don't cover northern Italy)...

not to say that for us their price is very economical (their full pack comes away for less than half of what we need to subscribe the sky Italia & dazn double, the minimum combination to follow our Serie A and the most important tournaments in Europe -and still those managed by sky Italia are not shown in their entirety, as the EPL only has 1 match per time slot or the German Bundesliga is covered only with 3, sometimes 4 matches per gameday)...

that really surprised me that even in Italy , France and Spain they subscribe for BEIN Sports , ofc their football coverage is excellent no doubt about that , for EPL Matches i see at least 8 matches per game day out of 10 , many LA liga matches , all matches for the big 5 in Italy ( Rome , Juventus , Milan , Napoli , Inter ) and some other matches , many matches of league 1 and about 3 or 4 matches of Budesliga per game day , unfortunately they don't care much about Bundesliga, but they made recently packages for continental NT cups , for example the recent Asian Cup i have to pay for it 500 Egyptian pounds which's 28 $ , which didn't work for me at all :d

An interesting example here from the sport of cricket in the UK

In 2005 cricket was available on free television, in 2006 it switched to satelitte television with a subscription fee.

In 2005 the biggest TV viewing figures were 8.5 million, by 2015 it dropped to 500,000.

During the same period there was a 33% drop in people playing the sport.

So the money that they gained from the TV contract had to be used to get more young people playing the game.

The deal was a good one but they had to use the money to make up for massive loss of publicity.

Edited by Dragon
spelling mistakes

In Poland we have quite a few sport channels.

1. TVP Sport is a channel of Polish national broadcaster. Because it's national the whole TVP is rather politically ruled and thus highly criticized, especially lately, but the sport team looks quite OK. Of course it is said that they use sport as part of the propaganda, which is wrong, but quite useful. TVP Sport has a wide range of rights - WTA (bought because of Radwańska's good years in the time when the rights were available to buy in Poland), some good football (like Italian Cup, all the matches of first national team), NHL, some major judo events, lately they invested much money in professional boxing, even opening the weekly magazine, and many more. What is not included in the TV channel is to find in the internet and mobile app. Last year before FIFA World Cup the channel became widely accessible with no additional payment, which is the big step for it.

2. Eurosport - I think many of you know it very well. Their biggest "power" is snooker and winter sports (in Poland curling has quite good publicity, though it's not very popular), but Polish Eurosport has also, in my opinion, very strong cycling team with a great duo that makes even 200 km boring stages really interesting because of their funny but also professional style of commentating (this duo commentates also biathlon).

3. Polsat Sport - the biggest not-public Polish broadcaster has three sport channels+one fight channel+six premium channels for UEFA Champions League only. Highly criticised for making almost all big events in PPV. Important partner of Polish volleyball (mostly men), but this year they lost the rights to CEV Champions League. They have also MotoGP, a little bit of football (with Polish 1. Liga, which is second level league and also mentioned Champions League) and lately some badminton.

4. Canal+ - first premium TV in Poland with two sport channels (sometimes sport is also on the other ones)+one after taking over the other station. Main partner of Polish football Ekstraklasa, which is weak sport product, but the broadcasting is really top level, also they have English Premiership. Last year they bought Italian Women's Volleyball Serie A1, which became the preludium to buying the CEV Champions League (both men and women). They have rights for Polish Speedway Ekstraliga and Speedway Grand Prix and Speedway of Nations, Polish male handball league, some EHF Champions League. Also some golf events.

5. Eleven Sports - the newest station, started with two channels, now they have four. As the name says, they have mostly football - Spanish and German league in cooperation with Canal+ and Italian and French league (instead of German, all of them were taken from Canal+ after Eleven came into Polish market). But they have also some ATP tennis, EHF Champions League (I don't know the rules between them and Canal+, they sometimes give the same game in both stations) and Formula 1. The style of commentators is very easy and they try to interact with public on Twitter with dedicated hashtags like #włoskarobota (italian work) or #modanafrancję (fashion for France) etc.

6. Sportklub - last and least, because they are really minor channel. They have for example Austrian and Brazilian league and Copa Libertadores, some foreign basketball (Spanish and Turkish) and handball (SEHA and Bundesliga), and modern pentathlon (World Cup Final and World Champs LIVE laser-run from individual and mixed relays+summary of the other World Cups), though the commentators are taken from other sports and know very little about the sport. They also have the Fightklub channel for some combat sports (they used to have many judo events).

20 ore fa, Dragon ha scritto:

An interesting example here from the sport of cricket in the UK

In 2005 cricket was available on free television, in 2006 it switched to satelitte television with a subscription fee.

In 2005 the biggest TV viewing figures were 8.5 million, by 2015 it dropped to 500,000.

During the same period there was a 33% drop in people playing the sport.

So the money that they gained from the TV contract had to be used to get more young people playing the game.

The deal was a good one but they had to use the money to make up for massive loss of publicity.

the same happened here with Volleyball and Basketball...in the last 20 years they switch more than once between free TV and pay-tv and the audience has been fluctuating a lot...

meanwhile the total number of people practicing the sport has not changed dramatically (as the results of our NT have, instead :facepalm:)...

Edited by phelps

1 ora fa, Vojthas ha scritto:

1. TVP Sport is a channel of Polish national broadcaster. Because it's national the whole TVP is rather politically ruled and thus highly criticized, especially lately, but the sport team looks quite OK. Of course it is said that they use sport as part of the propaganda, which is wrong, but quite useful. TVP Sport has a wide range of rights - WTA (bought because of Radwańska's good years in the time when the rights were available to buy in Poland), some good football (like Italian Cup, all the matches of first national team), NHL, some major judo events, lately they invested much money in professional boxing, even opening the weekly magazine, and many more. What is not included in the TV channel is to find in the internet and mobile app. Last year before FIFA World Cup the channel became widely accessible with no additional payment, which is the big step for it.

2. Eurosport - I think many of you know it very well. Their biggest "power" is snooker and winter sports (in Poland curling has quite good publicity, though it's not very popular), but Polish Eurosport has also, in my opinion, very strong cycling team with a great duo that makes even 200 km boring stages really interesting because of their funny but also professional style of commentating (this duo commentates also biathlon).

3. Polsat Sport - the biggest not-public Polish broadcaster has three sport channels+one fight channel+six premium channels for UEFA Champions League only. Highly criticised for making almost all big events in PPV. Important partner of Polish volleyball (mostly men), but this year they lost the rights to CEV Champions League. They have also MotoGP, a little bit of football (with Polish 1. Liga, which is second level league and also mentioned Champions League) and lately some badminton.

4. Canal+ - first premium TV in Poland with two sport channels (sometimes sport is also on the other ones)+one after taking over the other station. Main partner of Polish football Ekstraklasa, which is weak sport product, but the broadcasting is really top level, also they have English Premiership. Last year they bought Italian Women's Volleyball Serie A1, which became the preludium to buying the CEV Champions League (both men and women). They have rights for Polish Speedway Ekstraliga and Speedway Grand Prix and Speedway of Nations, Polish male handball league, some EHF Champions League. Also some golf events.

5. Eleven Sports - the newest station, started with two channels, now they have four. As the name says, they have mostly football - Spanish and German league in cooperation with Canal+ and Italian and French league (instead of German, all of them were taken from Canal+ after Eleven came into Polish market). But they have also some ATP tennis, EHF Champions League (I don't know the rules between them and Canal+, they sometimes give the same game in both stations) and Formula 1. The style of commentators is very easy and they try to interact with public on Twitter with dedicated hashtags like #włoskarobota (italian work) or #modanafrancję (fashion for France) etc.

6. Sportklub - last and least, because they are really minor channel. They have for example Austrian and Brazilian league and Copa Libertadores, some foreign basketball (Spanish and Turkish) and handball (SEHA and Bundesliga), and modern pentathlon (World Cup Final and World Champs LIVE laser-run from individual and mixed relays+summary of the other World Cups), though the commentators are taken from other sports and know very little about the sport. They also have the Fightklub channel for some combat sports (they used to have many judo events).

and as it happened until a few years ago with BeIN Sports, nowadays (in the past couple of years) in Italy it's a kind of fashion to subscribe to the Polish pay-tv networks (with Eleven sports option) to find a lot of football without spending the crazy amount of money sky Italia asks for...:lol:

we have a full dedicated thread for that on the main Italian TV and Digital world forum...:yikes:

I think satsklep.pl has more Italian customers than Polish...

Edited by phelps

1 hour ago, phelps said:

and as it happened until a few years ago with BeIN Sports, nowadays (in the past couple of years) in Italy it's a kind of fashion to subscribe to the Polish pay-tv networks (with Eleven sports option) to find a lot of football without spending the crazy amount of money sky Italia asks for...:lol:

we have a full dedicated thread for that on the main Italian TV and Digital world forum...:yikes:

I think satsklep.pl has more Italian customers than Polish...

And I know some people who can't stand some Polish commentators and watch sport events on Rai Sport which is available in some TV networks :)

2 hours ago, Vojthas said:

If i have access to all these channels , i won't let the TV 24/7 :D 

1 godzinę temu, thepharoah napisał:

If i have access to all these channels , i won't let the TV 24/7 :D 

That would be hard or maybe I should write expensive (for Polish conditions). Canal+ and Polsat are two different sat TV's, so if you want have programs of competition (for example you have sat from Polsat, but want also C+) you must pay extra. For six Polsat channels with Champions League you must also pay extra. Eleven is always separate package - you must pay extra. Even for Eurosport and Sportklub you must buy sport package because it's never in standard. Etc,etc, etc ;)