website statistics

Sports Television Broadcasting Rights

De_Gambassi

Something, that's probably a global concern. How minor sports - that are not commercially viable - cope with broadcasting ?

In France, the situation has been really poor. Regional channels are not really a thing and public TV is doing its best not to promote sport (minor sports, specially).The vast majority of olympic sports won't get broadcasted on FTA channels outisde of the olympics. Even a french traditional sport like fencing won't...

After ten years of trying to have its own TV channel, the french NOC is trying to launch its Web TV with a M€ 2.5-3 budget . That might be one solution... 

I know the situation in Spain or Italy is much better with dedicated sports channel(s) showing a lot of sports that won't be shown otherwise. But, I'll be interested to know how is the situation in your respective countries.

In Italy not so good, too. Public tv have a sport Chanel, but football eat all other. One event on two is a football game. Volleyball and cycling are well supported, and stop.

Tennis channel is good, and some little broadcaster show sometime minor sports-like judo.

Then , Italy Eurosport have a good cover for winter sports.

:CZE  it´s quite good, their public channel ČT Sport works very well on 24h basis and show pretty well everything from the most important sports events also they have a lot of domestic sport covering.

:SVK it´s a bit worse, our national public broadcaster had also a dedicated 24h per day sport channel RTVS 3, that started the opening day of Beijing 2008 (I remember that very ell) and was excellent, showing a vaste amount of all sports (including pretty well all major events of almost all olympic sports and some in Slovakia quite popuar non-olympic sports like Ball Hockey, futnet etc.., also huge amount of domestic sports leagues of different kind of sports) sadly the channel was removed in 2011.

there some rumors they want to renew it from this year. we´ll see. So far they put the whole sport things on RTVS 2, aiming this year especially on the Ice Hockey World Championships which will be held in Slovakia. but you can always find them covering all major BIG eventslike OG/WC or WCH of Ice Hockey, Football, Biathlon, Alpine Skiing, Canoeing Slalom, Canoeing Sprint or Athletics, + they cover usually all (mainly the home) matches (and eventual SVK matches at major events) of our National Teams in different ball sports (including Tennis DC/FC, Volleyball, Water Polo, Handball or EVEN Basketball - yeah Basketball, I´m not joking) + matches of Ice Hockey National Championship, Footbal league, European cups or even Handball SEHA league are weekly always covered..that´s quite a lot, you´ll say but I still miss the real dedicated national public sport channel

for other sports we still have a lot of other sport channels in our market from all available Eurosports to all Nova Sports, Digi Sport channels or Sport TV etc...

12 ore fa, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo ha scritto:

In Italy not so good, too. Public tv have a sport Chanel, but football eat all other. One event on two is a football game. Volleyball and cycling are well supported, and stop.

Tennis channel is good, and some little broadcaster show sometime minor sports-like judo.

Then , Italy Eurosport have a good cover for winter sports.

I can't agree with you. I don't like RAI (you know it very good :p) but sometimes they show some minor sport.

We have a tennis federation channel, Supertennis, with ATP and WTA tournament.

We have Sportitalia that have a lot of stupid events and programs but they have something of interessing too, like some handball match (and they show Italy too).

Eurosport and Dazn show rugby, snooker, ice hockey and go on... It isn't a very bad situation.

This is the scene in Argentina..

Tv pública: the state channel. They show football NT matches and world cup in their main channel. However, they have a sport dedicated channel (called deportv). In that one they show documentaries or interviews about sport most of the time but also national leagues of minor sports like handball, hockey or volleyball. They broadcasted volleyball wch last year and now handball wch.  

ESPN: has 3 channels. Focus on american sports obviously (NBA, NFL, MLB). They also show a lot of tennis (all GS and M1000) and a lot of Rugby (Argentina NT, super rugby and European leagues). They also do the big Tours of cycling, the golf majors, big competitions of field hockey, some motosport and some obscure sports like is tradition of them. Overall, they are the channel that shows the less football here, though they have their good share of it as well.  

TyC Sports: used to show a lot of minor sports but now they show/talk 20 hours of football a day. Still, they show national league matches of basketball/volleyball (one per week lol). Their main thing, however, is that they do all multi-sport events (south american, panamerican and olympic games). It's their only redeeming quality these days.  

Fox Sports: trash. Only football all day since they have the rights for Argentina league and Copa Libertadores. Bizarrelly, in their second channel they show WWE and MMA since they have the rights for some reason.   

PS. Here is a list of the olympic sports that never ever get broadcasted here outside the olympics: Badminton, Table Tennis, Triathlon, Modern Pentathlon, Sailing, Taekwondo, Waterpolo, Archery, Fencing, Shooting, all winter sports except figure skating.

I don't remember a broadcast of even WCh of any these sports.

Edited by LDOG

here in Egypt , we have 2 sports channels , On Sport and Nile Sport , They're covering football 24/7 , ofc only local matches and some recorded matches from big clubs' in Europe channels , at the past i was able to see many matches whether local or international of team sports like Basketball , handball and Volleyball and some other individual sports other than football , but at the last 5 years Nile sport and the local tv channels in general didn't care anymore about those sports , this year with the existence of On Sport which's quite new sports channel in Egypt , i was able to follow some local matches of other sports than football , there's also another channel which's a general one covering some sporting tournaments being held in Egypt and especially related to Basketball and Taekwondo, it's called Sada el balad , at least we're able now to follow sporting events being held in Egypt , overall the main source for Sport in Arab world is BEIN Sports channels , they have 20 sports channels + some entertainment channels and it's not for free , i pay 570 Egyptian pounds each 3 months which's about 32 US $ to watch 10 channels which're only available on Nile Sat ( the Egyptian Satellite ) other channels are available on the Qatari Satellite S'uhil SAT , these channels cover all football competitions u can imagine :d i think no European channels cover football big tournament , leagues and Cups like them , they perfectly cover Tennis tournaments ALL GSs and Masters tournaments at least are available + some 500 and 250 ATP tournaments , NBA , basketball WC and its qualifications all around the world , Euro league and all continental Cups are covered . handball UCL , WCH , WCH and Continental tournaments + coverage for French league and women's UCL , but unfortunately they didn't cover the recent WCH :( even no Arabic channels cover it , only Egypt and Tunisia matches are available on local channels , they cover all tournaments of FINA , partial coverage for NFL , MLB , Squash is covered very well also, Indian Cricket league , some Golf Tournaments , all major tournaments of Road Cycling and all Formula 1 and Moto GP Tournaments + some Professional boxing matches, they used to cover many Athletics, Volleyball , TT , taekwondo , judo events , but this's gone for sorry in the last 2 years. they covered last year almost all events of WOG , many events of Asian Games and partially YOG . AD Sports channels which have some open and some paid channels cover all tournaments of IAAF at the last 2 years , Diamond league is available on many Arabic Sports channels , Dubai Sports cover all UIPM world cups and WCH and International badminton federation tournaments almost all big tournaments are covered there ,many Arabic sports channels cover Volleyball international tournaments this year , many Equesterian WCs are available on AD Sports , Global champions tour is available on BEIN Sports , in 2017 Weightlifting world championship was available on BEIN , but unfortunately they didn't cover the last edition , BEIN covers some Triathlon events also world series for instance 

I've to say that Arabic Sports channels coverage to sport isn't that bad , especially with the fact that very few people here in the Arabic world don't care about other sports than football , My biggest problem with them is Individual Sports' WCHs which they can cover for very low budget , but they don't , hopefully things would change in better way

Edited by thepharoah

Because of NBC’s deal with the Olympic Channel we can see every Olympic sport here in the US. ESPN and FOX Sports cover all the main stream sports (ESPN covers some odder sports on thier streaming platform). CBS has a dedicated sports channel that shows a lot of small national sports. Many streams are available on YouTube to Americans too.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 ore fa, thepharoah ha scritto:

here in Egypt , we have 2 sports channels , On Sport and Nile Sport , They're covering football 24/7 , ofc only local matches and some recorded matches from big clubs' in Europe channels , at the past i was able to see many matches whether local or international of team sports like Basketball , handball and Volleyball and some other individual sports other than football , but at the last 5 years Nile sport and the local tv channels in general didn't care anymore about those sports , this year with the existence of On Sport which's quite new sports channel in Egypt , i was able to follow some local matches of other sports than football , there's also another channel which's a general one covering some sporting tournaments being held in Egypt and especially related to Basketball and Taekwondo, it's called Sada el balad , at least we're able now to follow sporting events being held in Egypt , overall the main source for Sport in Arab world is BEIN Sports channels , they have 20 sports channels + some entertainment channels and it's not for free , i pay 570 Egyptian pounds each 3 months which's about 32 US $ to watch 10 channels which're only available on Nile Sat ( the Egyptian Satellite ) other channels are available on the Qatari Satellite S'uhil SAT , these channels cover all football competitions u can imagine :d i think no European channels cover football big tournament , leagues and Cups like them , they perfectly cover Tennis tournaments ALL GSs and Masters tournaments at least are available + some 500 and 250 ATP tournaments , NBA , basketball WC and its qualifications all around the world , Euro league and all continental Cups are covered . handball UCL , WCH , WCH and Continental tournaments + coverage for French league and women's UCL , but unfortunately they didn't cover the recent WCH :( even no Arabic channels cover it , only Egypt and Tunisia matches are available on local channels , they cover all tournaments of FINA , partial coverage for NFL , MLB , Squash is covered very well also, Indian Cricket league , some Golf Tournaments , all major tournaments of Road Cycling and all Formula 1 and Moto GP Tournaments + some Professional boxing matches, they used to cover many Athletics, Volleyball , TT , taekwondo , judo events , but this's gone for sorry in the last 2 years. they covered last year almost all events of WOG , many events of Asian Games and partially YOG . AD Sports channels which have some open and some paid channels cover all tournaments of IAAF at the last 2 years , Diamond league is available on many Arabic Sports channels , Dubai Sports cover all UIPM world cups and WCH and International badminton federation tournaments almost all big tournaments are covered there ,many Arabic sports channels cover Volleyball international tournaments this year , many Equesterian WCs are available on AD Sports , Global champions tour is available on BEIN Sports , in 2017 Weightlifting world championship was available on BEIN , but unfortunately they didn't cover the last edition , BEIN covers some Triathlon events also world series for instance 

I've to say that Arabic Sports channels coverage to sport isn't that bad , especially with the fact that very few people here in the Arabic world don't care about other sports than football , My biggest problem with them is Individual Sports' WCHs which they can cover for very low budget , but they don't , hopefully things would change in better way

and in fact there are a lot of subscribers from Italy, France and Spain...:lol:

but unfortunately now it's becoming more and more difficult to watch them in most part of Europe since they launched their fuc*in' satellite Es'hail (or Su'hil or whatever you want to name it)...

when all channels were on Hotbird first and Nilesat then, it was an everyday party...now I'd need a 2.5/3m dish (and probably it wouldn't work as well, as their beam is really small and officially don't cover northern Italy)...

not to say that for us their price is very economical (their full pack comes away for less than half of what we need to subscribe the sky Italia & dazn double, the minimum combination to follow our Serie A and the most important tournaments in Europe -and still those managed by sky Italia are not shown in their entirety, as the EPL only has 1 match per time slot or the German Bundesliga is covered only with 3, sometimes 4 matches per gameday)...