website statistics

How Many Medals do You Expect from Your Nation at the Summer Olympic Games 2016?

I am cautious about expectations. If I had to guess I would probably say that Croatia will win 6-7 medals. Perkovic and Sinkovic brothers should be a safe bet, but you never know. Vlasic would also be quite sure in the absence of russian high Jumpers, but she has been out for a while now after surgery. Besides that there are some more chances (e.g. in Shooting, Sailing, Handball, Boxing), but nothing is certain. I doubt that our Water polo team can win something this time.

The stated goal from our NOC is more than 1 gold for the first time ever and at least 8 total, top 30 in the medal table and above Venezuela, Mexico and Argentina. I can see 2-5 in cycling, 1-3 in weightlifitng, 0-1 in judo, wrestling and gymnastics and there's probably some bronze coming out of nowhere. Not so sure about Argentina but I do think above Mexico and Venezuela.

hace 5 minutos, carivan said:

The stated goal from our NOC is more than 1 gold for the first time ever and at least 8 total, top 30 in the medal table and above Venezuela, Mexico and Argentina. I can see 2-5 in cycling, 1-3 in weightlifitng, 0-1 in judo, wrestling and gymnastics and there's probably some bronze coming out of nowhere. Not so sure about Argentina but I do think above Mexico and Venezuela.

You forgot Ibarguen.

IMO Colombia (barring always possible accidents) should win 3/4 golds. It's highly unlikely ARG, MEX or VEN win that number of gold so, I think that "objective" is safe.

A bit early to predict, we still even don't know our squad in important sports. if IOC/IWF bans Russia/Kazakhstan and Belarus this will benefit Iran a lot. but I expect 5-6 in wrestling, 3 in Taekwondo and 3-4 in weightlifting. which means something around 11 plus one more in another sport. (hopefully)

so I would say 12. the exact number of 2012. even though I have to admit this is a bit optimistic.

hace 10 minutos, LDOG said:

You forgot Ibarguen.

IMO Colombia (barring always possible accidents) should win 3/4 golds. It's highly unlikely ARG, MEX or VEN win that number of gold so, I think that "objective" is safe.

I did. What a terrible brainfart lol.

I can see Argentina getting 2 at least tho. Not a sure thing, but possible.

It could be anywhere from 15-25 for Canada (though more likely 18-22).  

Very good shots: M's decathlon, high jump and pole vault; W's heptathlon; W's 8 rowing; W's synchro 3m and 10m diving; W's Team Pursuit Cycling (8)

Good shots: W's rugby; M's 200m Kayak; M's 1500m swimming; M's 4x100m relay Athletics; W's trampoline; W's golf; M's Judo (7)

Fair shots: W's 800m Athletics; M's 20k walk; M's 400m swimming; W's 400 IM; W's basketball; W's beach volleyball; M's 100m Athletics; M's 200m canoe; M's 1000m kayak; W's mountain bike; W's 3m and 10m diving (12)

Anything can happen: Various rowing; various canoe/kayak; M's basketball (if they qualify and then field their best team); W's long jump; W's boxing; W's wrestling; M's BMX; various W's track cycling; Show Jumping; W's football; various W's gymnastics (i.e. Ellie Black on the beam); W's TKD; various swimming (i.e. relays); Tennis doubles/mixed doubles (0-?)

I would expect 8/8 from group one, at least 5/7 from group 2, half of group three would be great, and some surprises from group 4 would be fantastic.  The issue for Canada is that we have no real favourites for gold in any event.  M's high jump and maybe W's trampoline are the closest, though (I put trampoline in group 2 because it is judged and apparently even when certain athletes from certain countries fall down they still get medals, so who knows what will happen).  

Edited by orangeman

• 3 weeks later...

New Zealand has set a target of 14 medals at the Rio Games which would be New Zealands most medals at the Olympics. However this number should be met with predictions of up to 25 medals. I am predicting 20 medals. 

It should be a great couple of weeks for New Zealand!

Update from the previous one haha :d

1 gold medal maybe (of course I'd like to see more).. And maybe 3-4 medals in total for us.

Hoping for a surprise medal not from the 3 sports (archery/badminton/weightlifting), but yeah it won't happen anyway :wall:

Edited by Griff88