website statistics

Suggestions for Quota reductions on the existing sport program

intoronto

This crazy idea about merging freestyle and GR comes from lack of knowledge about the sport. yeah they "look" similar if you just watch one match in 4 years. but in past 50 years only one wrestler managed to win medal in both styles in major competitions and that wasn't at the Olympics. and that was a special case in super heavyweight. yeah there are some wrestlers switch their styles early in their career when they are teenager but it's not like you easily can switch style whenever you want.

how many swimmers win medal in different styles ? freestyle and butterfly for example ? they look very similar to me. since we are all free to have crazy idea. let's drop the boring/predictable Swimming. we will have lots of spots to add multiple new sports.

On 11/01/2019 at 02:35, De_Gambassi said:

Drop the gender equality policy...

Welp.. I suggest remove the team event in synchronized swimming so we can have male synchronized duet :lol:

On a serious note I've always thinking of limiting marathon size to 100 (or even 85) and there you have it: 100 quotas to those who need it.

5 ore fa, intoronto ha scritto:

Wow, so I just saw the IOC document on events for Tokyo 2020, and the total athlete quota among the 28 core sports is: 10,616!! That means 116 spots need to be dropped first before a sport is even added. :facepalm:Honestly, I feel like the IOC behind the scenes has already decided that a sport won't be back as a core sport for 2024.

I think it's quite obvious that at least one between Surf and Skateboarding will go (if not both)...

hopefully we're gonna get rid of BMX freestyle, too...

and I think that Modern Pentathlon and Greco-Roman Wrestling would be put under threat once again...

not needed to say that Boxing and (a lot less, but still) Weightlifting are already on the doorstep (Boxing maybe already in Tokyo)...

so, there are plenty of opportunities for the IOC to cut some core sport places off...

Swimming:

I would suggest a max quota of 50 swimmers on each distance. (That would cut about 80-90 quotas)

If we could cut some distances, the 4x200 m relay for both women and men, and of course, the mixed 4x100 m medley.  (48 quotas)

il y a 6 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

I suggest cutting nothing. What's the real difference between having 10,500 and 11,000 athletes? That's just IOC going for most obvious (though not really) budget cut solution.

An then, people will ask what's the difference between 11,000 and 12,000 really ? And on and on... That's why the IOC need a clear cut and to stick with it.

1 minute ago, De_Gambassi said:

An then, people will ask what's the difference between 11,000 and 12,000 really ? And on and on... That's why the IOC need a clear cut and to stick with it.

Not really. Quota allocation would need to be expanded to reach 12,000, while for reaching 10,500 some cuts are necessary. Just say no to further expansion and that's it.

#banbestmen

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Not really. Quota allocation would need to be expanded to reach 12,000, while for reaching 10,500 some cuts are necessary. Just say no to further expansion and that's it.

They already have done that with the 10,500 quotas... and already failed with Tokyo. If they bring the quotas up once again, they would have proved how weak they are and incapable to stick with a number.

The quotas ever increase has to - really - stop at some point. 

hace 1 hora, wumo26 said:

Swimming:

I would suggest a max quota of 50 swimmers on each distance. (That would cut about 80-90 quotas)

If we could cut some distances, the 4x200 m relay for both women and men, and of course, the mixed 4x100 m medley.  (48 quotas)

There was no need to add men's 800. I'd say take 800 out in both genders and leave Men's and women's 1500.

19 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

They already have done that with the 10,500 quotas... and already failed with Tokyo. If they bring the quotas up once again, they would have proved how weak they are and incapable to stick with a number.

The quotas ever increase has to - really - stop at some point. 

It doesn't make sense to still push for 10,500 while allowing extra sports that also need to be inside that...

#banbestmen