website statistics

Suggestions for Quota reductions on the existing sport program

intoronto

7 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Exactly. You can't have an Olympics without the most popular sport on the planet but also you shouldn't have Olympic football without the best players.

It's going to be the same with baseball in Tokyo. What does an Olympic title mean when 900 of the best 1000 players in the world won't be there?

Oh, and I would completely remove greco-roman wrestling becaus it's not sufficiently different from freestyle to be worth a place.

Greco-Roman's time is more than likely done. IOC wants full gender equality for 2024 (events, everything). There is no way you can add women's greco roman by then...

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

It's good for sports in one way, but not when great events are removed in favour of mediocre events just because it makes it more equal.

I agree, events should be added to make it equal, not removed

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, Jur said:

I wouldn't mind in wrestling 6 women freestyle, 4 men's freestyle, 2 grecoroman

They’re more likely to just remove it

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Jur said:

This would just be sad.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 ore fa, Dragon ha scritto:

Exactly. You can't have an Olympics without the most popular sport on the planet but also you shouldn't have Olympic football without the best players.

It's going to be the same with baseball in Tokyo. What does an Olympic title mean when 900 of the best 1000 players in the world won't be there?

Oh, and I would completely remove greco-roman wrestling becaus it's not sufficiently different from freestyle to be worth a place.

in this case I have to disagree...

Greco-Roman Wrestling is one of the Founding Fathers of the modern Olympic Games (and "the history" of all the wrestling disciplines)...

if something in that field has to be removed, that's Freestyle Wrestling, which is just a later addiction to please the Americans (who have the Pro Wrestling career in mind already when started the College/Olympic Wrestling) and the non-European Nations (Asian more than others)...:evil::pope:

Il y a 2 heures , heywoodu a déclaré:

Mostly because it's a junior tournament. It's just as useless as the water sports were at the 2015 European Games. Just like the ice hockey in Pyeongchang it can be fun, sure, but not Olympic-worthy.

That depends of the point of view...

image.png

10 ore fa, Jur ha scritto:

that doesn't make sense at all...

we should only have "complete" sports at the Olympics (with the best among the bests)...

otherwise it would be just an "exhibition" with a little bit of this and a little bit of that, discriminating all the athletes of a given sport who don't fit (because of their nature, of their bodyshape and weight...things you just can't decide and control by youself at 100%) the "showcase classes" chosen for the Olympic stage...:facepalm:

Wow, so I just saw the IOC document on events for Tokyo 2020, and the total athlete quota among the 28 core sports is: 10,616!! That means 116 spots need to be dropped first before a sport is even added. :facepalm:Honestly, I feel like the IOC behind the scenes has already decided that a sport won't be back as a core sport for 2024.

18 hours ago, phelps said:

in this case I have to disagree...

Greco-Roman Wrestling is one of the Founding Fathers of the modern Olympic Games (and "the history" of all the wrestling disciplines)...

if something in that field has to be removed, that's Freestyle Wrestling, which is just a later addiction to please the Americans (who have the Pro Wrestling career in mind already when started the College/Olympic Wrestling) and the non-European Nations (Asian more than others)...:evil::pope:

Spot on. Freestyle wrestling is only there to please the Americans. Greco-Roman is the core of all the combat sports at the Olympics. Removing this would mark the start of the true commercial era in Olympics. It's commercial enough already but some niche sports otherwise practiced for thousands of years are still there. Adding e-sports is so lame I can't even think of what drives these people to even considering such a stupid choice ($$$).